Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Hairties

I procrastinated on ordering from 3cayg so I've just been using straight Shea Nilotica from the previous supplier.

I did get the P&J fragrance oils today.
The Snickerdoodle does smell like Vatika Frosting with the first whiff.
I'm thinking of making the next batch Pina Colada. But that Snickerdoodle smells so good.

I'm gonna purchase my order probably tomorrow. I'm trying to decide on if I want to grab any of those oils.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I've never heard of this method. Can you give me the info on where you found It? I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything. Or did someone you know in real life tell you about it?

I figured it out myself! There are properties in the product that remove build up. Fructose is used to clean up industrial waste.

I confirmed Karo's effectiveness with one of my mentors, a person who has been a scientist for 40+ years in the hair care industry, when I attended a scientific conference in Germany, for the hair care industry around 2013. That meeting was not for cosmetologists, but for scientists with PhD's in physics, biology, biochemistry, chemistry etc. Science, scientists and chemicals are the heart of the cosmetic industry.

By the way, the owner of Keracare was sitting across from me at the same function, in the hotel lobby, when I was asking my question of my mentor, at the end of the event. He knows and admires this mentor and another one I have, as well. Both of my mentor's were in attendance and one was a plenary speaker of the event and the other was the chairman of the event.

With lots of my information, you won't be able to find it on the internet. That is because I study scientific articles and books. I make connections and I then extrapolate, or make 'calculated inferences'.

And interestingly, lots my information you will find on the internet because people took it from a book I wrote years ago. I know because much of that information was extrapolated [as in it came out of my head] as well and could not be found anywhere, prior to the publishing of my book.

I love hair and products and find it all absolutely fascinating. My main focus is on how to gain healthy, :antlers:long length on afro-textured hair. :yep:

If it doesn't relate to those factors, I'm not interested and I walk away. :walking: :giggle:

Below is a sample of some of the type of information I tend to seek out when doing my research. It's from an old book entitled, "Encyclopedia of Shampoo Ingredients", by Tony Hunting. It's outdated in some ways but the basic information is sound.

Hair Science book.jpeg

By the way, I'm in the midst of substantiating my findings and inferences and information for Shea butter. That's proving to be a bit more challenging, though. But oh so exciting and interesting [to me]! :yahoo::pulpdance::happydance::headspin:

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
thanks so much, you're amazing!
it's super fruity and smells like candy, like yummy jolly ranchers or something
:love3:

Ooooohhhh fun. Juicy & fruity, Right?Strawberry, apple, watermelon and a touch of something creamy to balance it out would probably give you something similar. P & J has a set with most of those in it. I think it's called the summer set.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I figured it out myself! There are properties in the product that remove build up. Fructose is used to clean up industrial waste.

I confirmed Karo's effectiveness with one of my mentors, a person who has been a scientist for 40+ years in the hair care industry, when I attended a scientific conference in Germany, for the hair care industry around 2013. That meeting was not for cosmetologists, but for scientists with PhD's in physics, biology, biochemistry, chemistry etc. Science, scientists and chemicals are the heart of the cosmetic industry.

By the way, the owner of Keracare was sitting across from me at the same function, in the hotel lobby, when I was asking my question of my mentor, at the end of the event. He knows and admires this mentor and another one I have, as well. Both of my mentor's were in attendance and one was a plenary speaker of the event and the other was the chairman of the event.

With lots of my information, you won't be able to find it on the internet. That is because I study scientific articles and books. I make connections and I then extrapolate, or make 'calculated inferences'.

And interestingly, lots my information you will find on the internet because people took it from a book I wrote years ago. I know because much of that information was extrapolated [as in it came out of my head] as well and could not be found anywhere, prior to the publishing of my book.

I love hair and products and find it all absolutely fascinating. My main focus is on how to gain healthy, :antlers:long length on afro-textured hair. :yep:

If it doesn't relate to those factors, I'm not interested and I walk away. :walking: :giggle:

Below is a sample of some of the type of information I tend to seek out when doing my research. It's from an old book entitled, "Encyclopedia of Shampoo Ingredients", by Tony Hunting. It's outdated in some ways but the basic information is sound.

View attachment 426554

By the way, I'm in the midst of substantiating my findings and inferences and information for Shea butter. That's proving to be a bit more challenging, though. But oh so exciting and interesting [to me]! :yahoo::pulpdance::happydance::headspin:

Didnt you also discover the LOC method?

FadingDelilah

View attachment 426554

Wait... You were mentored by someone who- hold up, you wrote a book? No, first I'd like to ask- *gulps* What other powerful people have you met? And what else do you know? Who are you Chicoro, woman of the shadows?

Now if you don't mind, I will be returning to my newly made bed, in my grave, because reading this post just slayed my life and made me tired in the process. I swear I'm nothing but dust compared to the great, accomplished women who have been secretly lurking in this thread.

tapioca_pudding

Funny story. I was playing around with putting some butter in a cart from here so I could see how much shipping was for each of the big blocks. Well I went off to do something and just left the cart alone and eventually just clicked out of the site. They emailed me a $5 coupon off shipping to finish the purchase a few days later. Why did I get so excited about a lil $5 coupon?! :lachen: I was already impressed with their Shea butter and the price of shipping, so it didnt take much to send me over the edge. Needless to say, I'm fully stocked on Shea butter and probably wont need to repurchase for a solid 2 years. :look:
This works for quite a few websites. :look: ask me how I know :look: :lachen:

tapioca_pudding

DIY Shea Butter Deep Conditioner made from scratch!

View attachment 426429
What you will need:

Distilled water or herbal tea - 4 ounces
(I used Burdock root tea)
Raw Shea butter - 12 grams
Penetrating oil - 15 grams
(I used a fenugreek infused avocado/apricot mix)
Emulsifying wax - 8 grams
I used BTMS 50 as it's able to penetrate strands
Powder of choice - 1 tsp
(I used banana powder but others that work well are: rose clay, any Ayurevedic powder, guava powder, Coconut Milk Powder, colloidal oat powder etc)
Humectant- 5 grams
(I used honey)

View attachment 426427

Optional: fragrance
Also this is a small batch that I use up in one use so I don't use a preservative. However, you should preserve it if you make it and plan to use it at a later date. I would not recommend optiphen for this particular deep conditioner as it will cause it to de-mulsify. (Don't know if that's a real word, but what I mean is it will thin out and become almost like a liquid) Ask me how I know. LOL

Directions:
Separate oils from liquid and put in a water bath together. I usually make my tea at the same time and when the oil phase is around 75% melted, I stir in whatever powder I'm using.

View attachment 426431

View attachment 426435
Add liquid phase to oil phase and use an immersion blender to blend.

View attachment 426433
Every 10 minutes or so, while it is cooling down...give it a few more bursts with your immersion blender. It will thicken up as it cools down and you blend. Don't go too wild, just blend enough to get to thickness of choice.

View attachment 426437

View attachment 426439

Once it is cool, add your fragrance/ preservative or any hydrolyzed proteins if you wish. Follow directions on how much to use based on weight of 4 ounces.

Enjoy!!!
You are a ROCK STAR!!!!!

kupenda

New Bae always has hands and face in my hair. He loves it. But the shea butter smell leaves a lot to be desired. I’m thinking of ordering some oils to soften it. The smell is nutty so I’ll likely try a dessert scent, like maybe vanilla or cocoa so that it compliments the shea instead of trying to fight it

I’m expecting a jar of whipped shea butter with emu and castor oil in it today from Kindred Butters. I hope it doesn’t smell horrible

Chicoro

Didnt you also discover the LOC method?

Yes, with caveats. Here on LHCF, people were doing liquid, cream and then an oil. But, I studied the evaporation of water from the substrate (hair) and decided to do liquid, oil and emulsified product. I didn't come up with the acronym LOC. Someone called the emulsified component a cream.

I did post this in Fotki about 9 years ago in December 2008. I entitled it, "How to Stratgically Seal the Hair Strand." It has about 17,000 views.

https://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/how-to-strategicall/006.html

Last edited:

Chicoro

Wait... You were mentored by someone who- hold up, you wrote a book? No, first I'd like to ask- *gulps* What other powerful people have you met? And what else do you know? Who are you Chicoro, woman of the shadows?

Now if you don't mind, I will be returning to my newly made bed, in my grave, because reading this post just slayed my life and made me tired in the process. I swear I'm nothing but dust compared to the great, accomplished women who have been secretly lurking in this thread.

Girl, you need to STOP! My book is called, "Grow It" and I wrote it in 2008. I have two other books, Grow It in the French language version and another book called, "Hair Products 101". I'm in the midst of preparing to write my 4th book. I've met former President Obama in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I asked him if I could take his picture and he said no. I know lots of things and very little at the same time. I'm not of the shadows because I post my photos with my face showing all the time so you need to quit playing, girl.

Everybody has something to contribute up in here. We are all accomplished in some area, including you. We all need work in some areas, including me and you! Now, back to our regularly scheduled Shea butter programming.

Last edited:

ArrrBeee

Pre pooed with oatmilk, black seed oil, fenugreek oil (steeped seeds in Grapeseed oil)and mahabhrunaj oil.

Shampooed with Mizani Supreme Oil shampoo mixed with maple syrup (I didn't have Karo syrup).

Conditioned with Shea Moisture 10 in 1 mixed with Amla, Kalpi tone powder, Brahmin and Tulsi powders and a scoop of whipped Shea butter.

I forgot the most crucial step. Combing after taking my twists out. Duh. Thankfully, all the Shea butter that I used last week kept my hair from matting and tangling.

I'm going to use all of my shampoos and conditioner before I come up with a solid regimen.

OAN Shea siblings...why y'all have me thinking that I had bladder problems? I looked at my white sheets which are now stained yellow and thought WTH?!? Then I remembered that I had been slathering my body down with Shea before bed.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Chicoro

Pre pooed with oatmilk, black seed oil, fenugreek oil (steeped seeds in Grapeseed oil)and mahabhrunaj oil.

Shampooed with Mizani Supreme Oil shampoo mixed with maple syrup (I didn't have Karo syrup).

Conditioned with Shea Moisture 10 in 1 mixed with Amla, Kalpi tone powder, Brahmin and Tulsi powders and a scoop of whipped Shea butter.

I forgot the most crucial step. Combing after taking my twists out. Duh. Thankfully, all the Shea butter that I used last week kept my hair from matting and tangling.

I'm going to use all of my shampoos and conditioner before I come up with a solid regimen.

OAN Shea siblings...why y'all have me thinking that I had bladder problems? I looked at my white sheets which are now stained yellow and thought WTH?!? Then I remembered that I had been slathering my body down with Shea before bed.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

:2inlove: "Shea siblings" Aww....how cute!

Chicoro

Here are my starting pics. Thanks @Chicoro for suggesting that I not cut it off. I'm going to stay in this thread and turn my hair around.
View attachment 426586 View attachment 426588

How far apart were these two pictures in time frame? Days apart? Your natural hair looks really thick and strong. Your blown out hair looks really soft and fine. It looks like two totally different heads of hair.

ArrrBeee

How far apart were these two pictures in time frame? Days apart? Your natural hair looks really thick and strong. Your blown out hair looks really soft and fine. It looks like two totally different heads of hair.

Only 10 days apart. It's crazy. Blowing it out is what gave me a reality check. I was so discouraged and almost cried when I saw the damage. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I took time to do multiple steps of treatments. It felt so nice and it was truly an act of self care.

Chicoro

Only 10 days apart. It's crazy. Blowing it out is what gave me a reality check. I was so discouraged and almost cried when I saw the damage. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I took time to do multiple steps of treatments. It felt so nice and it was truly an act of self care.

You know, I don't necessarily think that's damage. Go back and look at your picture with the straightened hair. Look at the hair from the roots of the crown. That hair texture is smooth and silky. That's your new growth and it looks gorgeous!

I do note that there is a color and texture change about three (3) inches down from the roots. I apologize for not remembering the specific situation with your hair, if you have given details to me before.

Did you get your hair colored before? The other great thing is the your hair length is hovering around shoulder length. If I don't count that beautiful, healthy texture extending from your roots, you've got about 9 to 12 inches of hair.

That means you can have perfectly healthy hair from root to tip in about 2 years maximum. That's a relatively short time if you 'trim as you grow'!

Your job now, is to pamper and love your hair and keep it protected and safe, especially that new growth. I still would encourage you to NOT cut your hair. It's 'practice' hair to learn to care for your hair.

If you cut your hair off and start with that lovely new growth, if you've still got some kinks to work out with your routine, you could end up damaging that, too. So, I think you are in THE PERFECT position to learn how to give your hair the ultimate love, care and support it needs!

I would strongly suggest that you write down what you do to your hair and the results you get. That means you may want to document in pictures as well. Please do not put these notes and pictures in some haphazard place.

Honor the information and knowledge by placing it in a pretty notebook or folder. Keep everything in one neat place that you respect and look forward to reviewing, enjoying and reflecting on.

You have now arrived at a place, full stop, where you have made a decision to give your hair the full attention and care that it needs. I'd say that you have truly arrived!

It's not time to shed tears. It's time to rejoice! You have arrived. It is time to take your seat at the Unicorn Table.

Chicoro

I, Chicoro, formerly nominate @ArrrBeee into the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Hall of Fame, on this date, Friday March 16th, 2018.

@ArrrBeee joins the folds due taking great care of her hair. Do you see that fabulous, healthy new growth she has? Even if that new growth is not Shea made, it shows the shift she has made in her thinking and care of her hair, and therefore, of herself. As I always say, to radically change the health of your hair, you must first change your mind. She has clearly demonstrated that!

@ArrrBeee,

Welcome to the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Hall of Fame!

Now, go and join your Shea siblings, little Unicorn!

Congratulations!!!

Last edited:

Chicoro

Other prominent historical figures who have been connected to or written about unicorns include Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan and Julius Caesar.

https://mashable.com/2014/02/23/unofficial-history-of-unicorns/#tYegRrGy6Zqg

This information is incomplete as there are mentions from the continent of Africa, unless we count Alexander the Great, who we KNOW was present in the great Malian city of Timbuktu [because of all the destruction he committed]. I'd like it better if we got a story from about 'us' [Shea- Made Unicorns and those of us in the making], from 'us'. But, until I find that information, we'll start with this!

Chicoro

A visual moment of silence for one of our own, I'd like to honor in post 3,000, below.

The purpose of this post and the two subsequent posts, is to
celebrate our Dear LHCF Sister, Allandra, who succumbed to her illness.
I placed this here to honor her. To show love and respect.
And to ensure that we all know that our sister
has passed on.

Last edited: