Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@naturalagain2 , what's your regimen for your girls? I know I need to tweak a few things and think they can benefit from adding shea butter into their regimen. How long have you been using CP growth oil?

@grownwomanaz , how are your men using the SB on their hair? You said from head to toe....did you make a body butter? I just ordered 3 lbs so let a sister know what else I can do.

@ElevatedEnergy , tell me more about treating your son's eczema with the oat milk. My son suffers from eczema as well....

@caribeandiva , I see the difference in your hair...it looks thicker! Great progress. Any difference in your ends?

@Chicoro , I never considered the sponge to cause so much friction, but I definitely can see how. My son's a swimmer so he washes 3 times a week. The sponge just gives him that twisted look without me actually having to twist it for him every other day. I need to find a product to define his curls without the sponge. I'm in a season of "learning" for sure!

@gvin89 I use the oat milk recipe above except I freeze it in little ice cubes. When I give him a bath, a just pop a little frozen cube in his bath water. Sometimes, I will throw a Calendula tea bag in there as well.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

Ya'll still flying high on this Shea Butter retention train, huh?
I know I am.

My neck was extra greasy at work today. I think I need to slow my roll with the application of Shea Butter as I am heavy handed with the product. Naw, no I won't.

My hair lays down and because it is so heavy with the butter, my braids swing when I move. Even the short, fuzzy, broken hairs in my crown are laying down. My hair looks NEATER using my No Comb Method+ Scurl and Shea Butter, than it did when I was using a comb and a brush. It stays layed, for up to 12 hours, and not because it's too tightly braided. At the end of my work day, my hair is still nice and neat.

SheaHairJan8 2018 A.JPG

Last edited:

ThatJerseyGirl

@ThatJerseyGirl ,
Come in here and look! Your theory, or observation, has proven true once again. See pictures in original post #1102 by @NCHairDiva.

YASSSSSSS!!!!! His hair is gorgeous, btw!

I grew my hair and retained length all due to shea butter. It works in so many different ways (leave in, deep conditioner, etc.). The key is consistency in the usage. In fact, to see results with ANYTHING, one would have to be consistent in order to see results.

ThatJerseyGirl

About a quarter of my mix was powder, and the rest was oil and shea butter, but mostly shea butter. maybe keeping the powder to Shea ratio at 1:5 would be best to avoid ANY grainy feeling in the mix.

Did you melt the shea butter down completely?

When I made my mix, I melted my shea butters down on a low flame, added my oils and a 1/4 tsp of the powders and stirred them together using a wooden skewer. I placed the mixture into the refrigerator to get solid and whipped it. I don't have the grainy feeling of the powders at all. I think it also has to do with melting the oils using the double boiler method, adding the oils while over the low flame as well as the herbs. I left it on the stove on low flame so the properties from the powders could infuse in the melted shea and oil. I hope that made sense.

Chicoro

When I made my mix, I melted my shea butters down on a low flame, added my oils and a 1/4 tsp of the powders and stirred them together using a wooden skewer. I placed the mixture into the refrigerator to get solid and whipped it. I don't have the grainy feeling of the powders at all. I think it also has to do with melting the oils using the double boiler method, adding the oils while over the low flame as well as the herbs. I left it on the stove on low flame so the properties from the powders could infuse in the melted shea and oil. I hope that made sense.

Your instructions are clear. I pulled them out so someone can easily see and catch your recipe if they are scrolling through this thread fast!

RECIPE!

4 Step Gritless Shea Butter with Powders Process
(Melt, Mix, Harden in Freezer, Whip)
  • Melt Shea butter and oils down to pure liquid, using double boiler on low heat. (How much Shea butter? @ThatJerseyGirl )
  • Mix in 1/4 tsp of ayuverdic powders (How many teaspoons @ThatJerseyGirl ?)
  • Stir until dissolved.
  • Put in fridge and let mixture harden.
  • Whip the hardened butter

Last edited:

CurlyRy

I've been using a shea butter balm every day since my hair has been pressed. And I like how it doesn't have a heavy shea butter "smell" and how easy it is to use. I also used it when my hair was styled in a curly style and liked it. So I think I'll keep using it for the remainder of the year.

I'll join! :wiggle:

Garner

Your instructions are clear. I pulled them out so someone can easily see and catch your recipe if they are scrolling through this thread fast!

4 Step Gritless Shea Butter with Powders Process
(Melt, Mix, Harden in Freezer, Whip)
  • Melt Shea butter and oils down to pure liquid, using double boiler on low heat. (How much Shea butter? @ThatJerseyGirl )
  • Mix in 1/4 tsp of ayuverdic powders (How many teaspoons @ThatJerseyGirl ?)
  • Stir until dissolved.
  • Put in fridge and let mixture harden.
  • Whip the hardened butter
Thanks @Chicoro and @ThatJerseyGirl!!!

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My Chebe Powder came yesterday.

So I mixed up a batch of SB w/Chebe Powder and Grape Seed Oil.

ETA: My Mix Whipped Up extremely well. The Grape Seed Oil was a nice Oil. I couldn't decide between Rice Bran or Grape Seed and went with Grape Seed.

There was no negative smell (from the Chebe Powder), so I did not use a Fra.grance Oil to scent it.

This time I made an 8oz Jar and a 4oz Jar.

Last edited:

Aggie

I know I am.

My neck was extra greasy at work today. I think I need to slow my roll with the application of Shea Butter as I am heavy handed with the product. Naw, no I won't.

My hair lays down and because it is so heavy with the butter, my braids swing when I move. Even the short, fuzzy, broken hairs in my crown are laying down. My hair looks NEATER using my No Comb Method+ Scurl and Shea Butter, than it did when I was using a comb and a brush. It stays layed, for up to 12 hours, and not because it's too tightly braided. At the end of my work day, my hair is still nice and neat.

View attachment 421635
Your pic is so cute @Chicoro

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019

ETA: My Mix Whipped Up extremely well. The Grape Seed Oil was a nice Oil. I couldn't decide between Rice Bran or Grape Seed and went with Grape Seed.

There was no negative smell (from the Chebe Powder), so I did not use a Fra.grance Oil to scent it.

I' doing the Chebe as well. Can you say how your using it...how often... Please....Thanks

Aggie

Okay. I did not melt my butter because I did not have to. I live in the tropics where coconut oil and palm oil and all other solid oils are just liquid - all the time.

The Shea Butter is very very soft from the sheer warmth of our climate here, so there is no need to melt any of it.

It mixed so easily with my powders and oil, it just did not make no sense :lol:. I love my Shea/Powder mix. @Chicoro, The next morning, I felt no powder residue at all from it in my hair which was quite a surprise to me. I was wondering where did the powder go :look:? It's just weird to me I guess.

Remember I already said above that my mix is extremely smooth but if I hold it in my very sensitive hands, I can feel the powder. I am a Massage Therapist and Esthetician. My hands are trained to feel anything foreign, no matter how tiny.

All I can say to those who want to try it out, try a little bit and see if you can handle it. I used a LOT of powder, much more than the Chebe recipe calls for. The Chebe recipe only calls for 1 teaspoon of powder, I added wayyyyy more than that.

Last edited:

Lute

After using shea on my hair and especially on the ends of the twist for the past week or so. This is definitely a keeper for me. Taking down my hair was so easy and the ends of my hair unraveled so easily. Normally I would lose my ends due to them being so stuck together or tangled. But this really helps keeping my strands in check

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Okay so my hair was litealy screaming for moisture. Finally introduced some water into its life. It was so dry i was scared to use shampoo. Uswd giovanni 50/50 conditioner to cowash and detangle with my jumbo comb in the shower. Lost a decent amount of hair unfortunately :/
Leave in: KCKT
Cream: keravada creme brulee to two strand twist <<< shea based.
Oil: keravada super ego oil to untwist out. Will rock a twist out all weekend. Then give my hair some super tlc for a real wash day.

Going to start using shea butter mixed w a couple powders to twist when my keravada runs out. and try to leave the twists in all week to soak up all the ahea goodness.

Is there a partucular brand from amazon anyone recommends? Otherwise I was thinking of placing an order with hennasooq.
I want to get:
Shea butter
Hibiscus powder
Amla powder
Rose powder
Aloe powder
Mahabrinja powder

Chicoro

Here's her video demo of how she makes it:

This looked so incredible!!!!! I never, never, never thought or saw anyone put Shea butter through a sieve to make the texture creamier!

I am so excited! I can't wait to tweak my mixtures using some of her tips!

RECIPE!

New Tips for Making Non-Greasy Shea Butter :
  1. Whisk it until it turns a lighter color and starts to get fluffy.But don't stop, continue to whisk it for another 5 minutes.
  2. Put it through a sieve after whisking it! :toocool::toocool:
:flahssssss:Take a picture because you are going to want to save this tasty tip ,to use a sieve, in your records!

Talk about having joy!!!!

This is how I feel when I'm putting Shea Butter on my hair in the morning!

Last edited:

Chicoro

By the time this Shea Butter Year of 2018 is completed, and I've gathered and implemented all these great tips, my Shea Butter is going have the power to be invisible, wear a cape, save folks' lives AND retain super length.

This is gone be what my Shea Butter look like, does and says by Dec 2018:​

"The breaking, dry, tangled hair is where? I must be off to eradicate it immediately and help women with afro-textured hair all over the world duplicate my own tailbone length hair results you see in this photo ! No, LHCF, I've got no time right now to share tips on how I got my body so snatched. I can hear the breakage popping in agony.
I've got to go to the rescue! "

~Super Shea Butter~

Last edited:

Jade Feria

I know I am.

View attachment 421635
Okay?! :lol:
You are looking glamorously beautiful!

I'm still amazed at the connection between Shea butter and maximum retention. Yesterday, wash day was a breeze. Detangling was easier and those shed hairs slid right on out. After my tea rinse, I applied SSI Coco Creme Leave-In and sealed the entire length with my blended Shea mixture and then twisted. My hair is looking juicy! My hair also looks neater, and I don't use combs either, other than to part my hair if I'm braiding in cornrows (and sometimes not even then).

I'm going to the African store to get some more Shea butter, tout suite.

Because I'm gonna be using Shea butter 23902143396_b554825bd9.jpg

Chicoro

Okay?! :lol:
You are looking glamorously beautiful!

I'm still amazed at the connection between Shea butter and maximum retention. Yesterday, wash day was a breeze. Detangling was easier and those shed hairs slid right on out. After my tea rinse, I applied SSI Coco Creme Leave-In and sealed the entire length with my blended Shea mixture and then twisted. My hair is looking juicy! My hair also looks neater, and I don't use combs either, other than to part my hair if I'm braiding in cornrows (and sometimes not even then).

I'm going to the African store to get some more Shea butter, tout suite.

Because I'm gonna be using Shea butter View attachment 421701

Aww, you are sweet! Thank you!

"I'm still amazed at the connection between Shea butter and maximum retention."

This is why @ThatJerseyGirl 's observation is SHEER GENIUS! I keep bigging her up because THIS observation is truly a PARADIGM shift in the area of [learning to purposely and consciously ] retain length on afro-textured hair.

"My hair is looking juicy! My hair also looks neater, and I don't use combs either, other than to part my hair if I'm braiding in cornrows (and sometimes not even then)."
Isn't it incredible how it literally eliminates one's need for a comb? Yet, the hair looks so nicely and neatly coiffed?

Congratulations to you, @Jade Feria , for obtaining duplicatable- every time and forever- juicy, neater afro-textured coils!!!!!

Shea Butter GOT YOU!

Last edited:

Chicoro

I've been using a shea butter balm every day since my hair has been pressed. And I like how it doesn't have a heavy shea butter "smell" and how easy it is to use. I also used it when my hair was styled in a curly style and liked it. So I think I'll keep using it for the remainder of the year.

I'll join! :wiggle:

Come on in, little lady....Shea Butter
got enough 'hair retention'
love to share with
you, too...​

Jade Feria

By the time this Shea Butter Year of 2018 is completed, and I've gathered and implemented all these great tips, my Shea Butter is going have the power to be invisible, wear a cape, save folks' lives AND retain super length.

This is gone be what my Shea Butter look like, does and says by Dec 2018:​

"The breaking, dry, tangled hair is where? I must be off to eradicate it immediately and help women with afro-textured hair all over the world duplicate my own tailbone length hair results you see in this photo ! No, LHCF, I've got no time right now to share tips on how I got my body so snatched. I can hear the breakage popping in agony.
I've got to go to the rescue! "

~Super Shea Butter~

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Because you know we would wanna know!

Aww, you are sweet! Thank you!

"I'm still amazed at the connection between Shea butter and maximum retention."

This is why @ThatJerseyGirl 's observation is SHEER GENIUS! I keep bigging her up because THIS observation is truly a PARADIGM shift in the area of [learning to purposely and consciously ] retain length on afro-textured hair.

"My hair is looking juicy! My hair also looks neater, and I don't use combs either, other than to part my hair if I'm braiding in cornrows (and sometimes not even then)."
Isn't it incredible how it literally eliminate's one's need for a comb? Yet, the hair looks so nicely and neatly coiffed?
Yes! So simple, yet so easy to overlook.

jennex

@IDareT'sHair
That's really good to hear. Now I'm going to save up and get some Chebe powder! Where did you get yours from?

Chicoro

RECIPE !