short bushy hair at the back

princessP28

Has anyone been able to grow out the very short hair an the nape of their neck? If so....what worked for you?? I know some people just shave it off but i wince at the thought of doing that
frown.gif
by the way i tried ORS temple balm for 3 months with hardly any results...now i'm rubbing Vit E oil everyday but its too soon to tell....any thoughts on what else i could do?

Make sure your neckline is not rubbing against your clothes. If you tie your hair up at night...tie it 'below' the neckline. If you wear a satin cap...do what I do, tie a silk scarf around the hairline, then put on the satin cap. I commute to work, so I also covered the headrest in my car. I had a rough patch in the back of my hair that is no longer there. The hair is soft. Mist your hair with some distilled water then oil it.

Thank you sweetcocoa...you gave me more than hope that my short bush will grow too into long soft hair strands... what do you cover your headrest with? a silk scarf? what kind of oil do you use? can i just use the vit e oil? its a little thick and sticky...maybe i'll try to mix it with water or s-curl. what u think? thanks again.
antlers.gif
look.gif
by the way i love your hair
smile.gif

CICI24 i actually thought about doing that but how would you wear the rest of your hair...:( did you cornrow the nape or plait it? thanks in advance
wink.gif

I have problems with this area as well and I actually used to shave it
crazy.gif
blush.gif
...I've been moisturizing it like crazy..But I think sometimes when I take a shower, the soap may get trapped there and dries it out a little..I'm going to try spritzing it with water first before applying the moisturizer..When I do spritz it with water (which I don't do often enough), I find that it becomes softer. Since, I've been paying attention to that area, I have noticed that it has grown quite a bit..

I have this problem too but never was able to resolve it. I braided it one year and it grew back but, as soon as a I stop braiding it, it breaks off again.

LOL...so Im not the only one who shaved back there!!!

Well, I finally left mine alone and after I dont know how many years of not growing....

It is FINALLY starting to!!

I wear my hair in 2 twisted up pigtails and the hair in the back is long enough that it can be put into the pigtails!

Credit goes to not shaving(LOL) and daily C/O washing.

I have always, always...did I say always had this problem with the 'kitchen'. Well I am happy to say that my 'kitchen' is currently about three inches long. I don't know exactly what did it, but I do the daily conditioner rinses and then bun style. I also use castor oil on the nape area and S-curl. I recently got a relaxer and the stylist insisted on an bride of frankenstein upsweep. She wouldn't make any comments but she knows that I'm doing something different because I stopped going to her and suddenly I have all this hair. I was laughing all the way home because she gave me a really jacked-up style. But it was funny to me because for once I knew I had closed her mouth. She advised against everything I was doing about 5 months ago. And she didn't have the nerve to comment. I'm still laughing.

BEEN THERE!

This is what worked for me.

1. I used glycerin and water and sprayed my hair with that every morning and night.

2. I oiled my ends with vaseline.

3. I trimmed (just that bushy section) every 8 weeks.

4. I basically treated the broken section seperate from the rest of my hair.

***As long as you keep that section EXTRA MOISTURIZED it will grow. But once it becomes dry (bushy) it will continue to break and not grow as long as the rest.

-lee

If you relax and the problem is chronic, consider that you may need your stylist to pay special attention to the nape area when neutralizing and rinsing.

Sometimes this area suffers because it's easy yo forget and very often when people have persistent problems with the area it is the lack of proper neutralizing that's the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
so I also covered the headrest in my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put my old pink bonnet on my headrest a few days ago. I was at the gas station today and a child pointed at me and said, "Mama! She's got panties on the back of her seat!"

rofl.gif

I took it off until I can find something that matches my seats...
grin.gif

I realized a few days ago that when I wrap my hair at nite with a satin scarf, the back of the scarf lies right in the middle of my kitchen, which refuses to show any length. This could be (part of) the problem. Any recommendations ladies? I thought of a satin bonnet or a satin pillowcase, but those options may not keep the wrap tight enough. My hair is not long enough to put into a ponytail...I have to wrap my hair in order for it to be presentable the next day....what do do??
blush.gif
hwell:

[ QUOTE ]
I realized a few days ago that when I wrap my hair at nite with a satin scarf, the back of the scarf lies right in the middle of my kitchen, which refuses to show any length. This could be (part of) the problem. Any recommendations ladies? I thought of a satin bonnet or a satin pillowcase, but those options may not keep the wrap tight enough. My hair is not long enough to put into a ponytail...I have to wrap my hair in order for it to be presentable the next day....what do do??
blush.gif
hwell:

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem last year. I used to tie my hair up with the knot in the back, unknowingly and it eventually broke my hair off in that spot...
mad.gif
Now I just use a satin wrap and sleep on a satin pillowcase. Sometimes the wrap comes off at night
sleep8.gif
, but it's better than not putting it on at all. I may look into satin bonnets.
scratchchin.gif

I have this problem also. Its so frustating. It seems that the nape of my neck is dryer than any other area on my noggin! I've started moisturing it 3 to four times a day and it has helped. Its grown 4 inches since November. It just needs more TLC than other sections of our hair.

How often do you relax your hair? What helped me grow out the back of my hair, is waiting a longer period of time to relax it, so that it wouldn't get any overlap. That worked for me. (i had a previous experience where the hairdresser did not wash out the relaxer from the nape area properly and my hair broke off) Or you can skip relaxing that part once, and then the next time relax it. I felt that my short hair in the back was probably being overprocessed and never seemed to grow because it kept breaking. So I waited for a longer period, so that the hair could grow out. HTH
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I also use castor oil on the nape area and S-curl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, and I saw that my kitchen area grew over an inch in 2 weeks.
cool.gif
cool.gif
!!

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you sweetcocoa...you gave me more than hope that my short bush will grow too into long soft hair strands... what do you cover your headrest with? a silk scarf? what kind of oil do you use? can i just use the vit e oil? its a little thick and sticky...maybe i'll try to mix it with water or s-curl. what u think? thanks again.
antlers.gif
look.gif
by the way i love your hair
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I covered my headrest with a black silk scarf. I use my own mixture of shea butter and oils. But in a misting bottle I mix distilled water and jojoba oil when I want to wet my hair(not a full rinse). When I rinse I still mist it with my mixture in my mister, before my leave-in. The viamin E sounds good and many ladies have success with the s-curl. I don't though...me and glycerin do not get along... Also some others like castor oil. I think the key is keeping that area moist and free from friction. Oh, thanks for the compliment!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I But I think sometimes when I take a shower, the soap may get trapped there and dries it out a little.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a long strip of terry cloth(ripped up an old towel) that I tie around my head below my hairline..below my ears and low on the forhead before I put on my shower cap. The terrycloth absorbs any water and soap before it can get to ny hair.

i usually saturate mine with S Curl and jojoba oil.then i roll it in the smallest magnectic snap rollers i can find. in the morning it's smooth.
smile.gif

Hi Island Girl:

I try to go about 10 to 12 weeks between relaxers. My last stylist was relaxing my hair every 5 weeks!! Can you believe that? Of course, that was back in the day when I took my stylist word for everything! Now, i have a new stylist and I definetely call all the shots. But yes, I have found that waiting until i get and inch or inch and a half of new growth really helps with the back of my head and I have had great sucess. As long as i can keep my new growth soft and manageable, I will go as long as I can between retouches!
smile.gif

This is a great thread. I never realized that this was such a common problem; just thought I was doing something wrong. What I do is braid the hair in this area every night. If I keep this up, it catches up with the rest of the hair. Thanks for the great tips, everyone!
smile.gif

Hello, Princess

It's funny to see this post, cause I was looking in the mirror at my hair only an hour ago and was noticing how my 'nappy kitchen' became a looser and longer length since just February.

I attribute this miraculous texture change to 2,000 mg of MSM on a daily basis.

The overall new growth texture has changed and I am finally noticing those perfect little hairs at the back of my neck flourish.

Try it (at small dosages first to assess your sensitivity).

Hope this helps,
Az
smile.gif

Hello, Princess

It's funny to see this post, cause I was looking in the mirror at my hair only an hour ago and was noticing how my 'nappy kitchen' became a looser and longer length since just February.

I attribute this miraculous texture change to 2,000 mg of MSM on a daily basis.

The overall new growth texture has changed and I am finally noticing those perfect little hairs at the back of my neck flourish.

Try it (at small dosages first to assess your sensitivity).

Plus, I make sure to 'baby' that area when I am applying whatever moisturizer at the time. Give it a little TLC (it's a spot, I'm sure most of us have always ignored) and watch it grow with the rest of your hair.

Hope this helps,
Az
wink.gif

gabrielle_union.jpg

Hi Ladies:

I really believe that what's finally making my "kitchen area" grow is: Castor oil + S-curl + Coconut oil(to soften) + vitamins.

Don't shave it. My sister and mom have shaved their in the past and their "kitchens" look a hot mess. While mine is shprter than the rest of my hair but smooth and I am able to put it up if needed. B careful about your scarf rubbing it when you go to sleep.

Wow...its so good to know that many of us have been able to overcome this problem...thank you soooooo much for all of your replies
smile.gif
For the past couple of weeks I have been mixing vit E with S-curl, but i think i'm going to add coconut oil and castor oil as well since i already have these oils on my shelf. Thanks again
clap.gif
wink.gif
weird.gif

Wow! I never new so many people where having this same problem. These answers will definitely help. I will make sure I pay extra attention to this area from now on!
Thanks!!

Back