Should Christians Listen To Hip-Hop?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Cinnabuns said:
Well to me it seems like DMX's album cover was quite disturbing. :nono: He is drenched in blood to mimic the Savior. And I found it interesting how the the letter M in DMX over his head on the album cover looks like horns. To me this is very wrong. Dogs ripping enemies apart? Not a pretty picture at all!

So he closes each of his concerts with a prayer but whom is he praying to? I've come to realize that just because someone says God in a prayer that that individual could be praying to someone else entirely.

Yeah, I noticed that he crys in concerts too while he's praying.

Honeyhips

Lovely
I finally saw part one tonite. part two was definitely better b/c he explained how hip hop is a religion and how it got started. I honestly have heard messages like these before (one by Paul Ankenberg, and recently within the last year one that included hard core rap and rock music), but like he said in part one it only included "their" music. The death and heavy metal stuff. Now when he was talking about Bt&H, I remember when that Cd came out and looking at the cover thinking how demonic it was. But again I thought I was immune to it b/c I was never into rap that much. I was the mellow, jazzy, r&B, house, concsious hip hop. (it has to be ok if they are talking about real life political stuff right. :ohwell: ;) ). I've been doing my own research on hip hop and I had NO idea, how deep this stuff was. I thought it was just music. I still don't think these people realize the depth of the spiritual world. I am convinced they know what they are doing, but they just don't know how deep it is.
This totally explains why rap is as big as it is.

Last edited:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Honeyhips said:
I finally saw part one tonite. part two was definitely better b/c he explained how hip hop is a religion and how it got started. I honestly have heard messages like these before (one by Paul Ankenberg, and recently within the last year one that included hard core rap and rock music), but like he said in part one it only included "their" music. The death and heavy metal stuff. Now when he was talking about Bt&H, I remember when that Cd came out and looking at the cover thinking how demonic it was. But again I thought I was immune to it b/c I was never into rap that much. I was the mellow, jazzy, r&B, house, concsious hip hop. (it has to be ok if they are talking about real life political stuff right. :ohwell: ;) ). I've been doing my own research on hip hop and I had NO idea, how deep this stuff was. I thought it was just music. I still don't think these people realize the depth of the spiritual world. I am convinced they know what they are doing, but they just don't know how deep it is.
This totally explains why rap is as big as it is.

HH or anyone else, would you recommend this dvd for anyone else to watch?

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The other day, my dad said he was talking to a minister at our church and they were saying how people who listen to music with profanity and all types of bad things that their salvation is in question... do you ladies think that is true? I found it kind of extreme for them to come up with that conclusion... :ohwell:

Koffie

Poohbear said:
The other day, my dad said he was talking to a minister at our church and they were saying how people who listen to music with profanity and all types of bad things that their salvation is in question... do you ladies think that is true? I found it kind of extreme for them to come up with that conclusion... :ohwell:

I think that is a little off, but I do believe that when people allow the secular music to influence them and they know the truth, then yeah, they could be headed to destruction.

i.e. there is a song out right now which I really hate. :mad:

The lyrics are something like "Girl gimme dat p***y!" :barf:

Now when you are feeding you brain this garbage, do you honestly think one is led by the Spirit? :huh:

I believe that if it gets severe, then yeah, I'd be scared for that person on Judgement day. :ohwell:

Poohbear

Koffie said:
I think that is a little off, but I do believe that when people allow the secular music to influence them and they know the truth, then yeah, they could be headed to destruction.

i.e. there is a song out right now which I really hate. :mad:

The lyrics are something like "Girl gimme dat p***y!" :barf:

Now when you are feeding you brain this garbage, do you honestly think one is led by the Spirit? :huh:

I believe that if it gets severe, then yeah, I'd be scared for that person on Judgement day. :ohwell:
That's what I think as well that if you let it influence you, it can be detrimental to you...

I heard that song before too... it bothers me as well. I can't believe someone can have the nerve to sing something like that or even listen to something like that! :ohwell:

Sweet C

Poohbear said:

I agree with Koffie. I don't think its as much a question of salvation, as much as it is a question of priorities. Some people honestly know, so you can't really fault them if they are not informed. But others do and choose to continue to do so. As a believer, the Holy Spirit will guide you away from such behavior, if you don't quench him.

sprungonhairboards

Poohbear said:

I definately think thats a little, well alot extreme. However, like some posters have previously mentioned, I definately can tell my mood change when listening to certain music. When I listen to gangsta rap I get all angry and hard, when i listen to sexual music (which is just about everything else on the radio) I start at least thinking about it. I think the influence of the music MAY open you up to sinning and doing things you shouldn't, but losing your salvation just because you're listening, that's a bit much for me. I'll be honest, I dont always wanna listen to Gospel. Sometimes I wanna hear some good R&B or rock, but the radio is so trashy nowadays, just garbage, it hurts my ears, there's really nothing safe to listen to.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Ok, so I have a question for you ladies, as Christians, since we are saved, and we've excepted the Lord Jesus Christ as our saviour, can we still go out and do what we want to do and make it into heaven? I mean as long as we ask for forgiveness afterwards & we are saved. :confused:

I just thought I read somewhere in the Bible about "repetition in sinning" and it spoke on asking for forgiveness of sins over and over again. Can you ladies help me out on this one? Thanks :kiss:

Koffie

Honeyhips said:
are you saying listening to music is a sin?

I don't think that's what she meant.

I think that if you allow it to open doors and influence your behavior then it can LEAD to sin.

i.e. Let's say I'm listening to R-Kelly "12 play" with my man who I'm not married to.

Ok, if we are sittin' there, candles lit, lights dim and all, its safe to say we are headed to sin 'cause that music is SURELY not governed by the Holy Spirit for unmarried couples. And to add insult to injury, we'd probably be following the "12 steps" HTH :)

Koffie

sugaplum said:
Ok, so I have a question for you ladies, as Christians, since we are saved, and we've excepted the Lord Jesus Christ as our saviour, can we still go out and do what we want to do and make it into heaven? I mean as long as we ask for forgiveness afterwards & we are saved. :confused:

I just thought I read somewhere in the Bible about "repetition in sinning" and it spoke on asking for forgiveness of sins over and over again. Can you ladies help me out on this one? Thanks :kiss:

My first question is why would you want to do what ever you wanted to do when you signed your life over to Christ? Shouldn't we do what Christ wants us to do apart from what WE want to do?

Now, the part that I have bolded is something others might not agree with me on, but this is my stance:

I can't say who is going to Hell, but if one who professess to be saved is a back-biting heathen who likes to indulge in the ways of the world, then I say his/her salvation is questioned. Here's why:

Matthew 24:42-50
Romans 6:15-18
Romans 1:32
Romans 13:14
(I'm NOT about to type these long scriptures so read for yourself)

Now if we REPENT and are sincere about our actions and God sees this, then He is faithful and just to forgive, but if somebody says "I can do A, B, and, C 'cause I'm going to heaven anyways", then they need SERIOUS prayer.

IMHO such type of thinking is evil and not of God, and it takes advantage of God and does not acknowledge the seriousness of sin.

I have more, but I gotta go pick up my brother. See yah! :wave:

P.S. If anyone disagrees, please respond because I could always learn something knew. :)

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
Then why is she talking about repenatance in a music thread.
Koffie said:
I don't think that's what she meant.

I think that if you allow it to open doors and influence your behavior then it can LEAD to sin.

i.e. Let's say I'm listening to R-Kelly "12 play" with my man who I'm not married to.

Ok, if we are sittin' there, candles lit, lights dim and all, its safe to say we are headed to sin 'cause that music is SURELY not governed by the Holy Spirit for unmarried couples. And to add insult to injury, we'd probably be following the "12 steps" HTH :)

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Koffie said:
My first question is why would you want to do what ever you wanted to do when you signed your life over to Christ? Shouldn't we do what Christ wants us to do apart from what WE want to do?

Now, the part that I have bolded is something others might not agree with me on, but this is my stance:

I can't say who is going to Hell, but if one who professess to be saved is a back-biting heathen who likes to indulge in the ways of the world, then I say his/her salvation is questioned. Here's why:

Matthew 24:42-50
Romans 6:15-18
Romans 1:32
Romans 13:14
(I'm NOT about to type these long scriptures so read for yourself)

Now if we REPENT and are sincere about our actions and God sees this, then He is faithful and just to forgive, but if somebody says "I can do A, B, and, C 'cause I'm going to heaven anyways", then they need SERIOUS prayer.

IMHO such type of thinking is evil and not of God, and it takes advantage of God and does not acknowledge the seriousness of sin.

I have more, but I gotta go pick up my brother. See yah! :wave:

P.S. If anyone disagrees, please respond because I could always learn something knew. :)

Of course we should do what Chirst wants us to do. This is my understanding as well. :yep: My friend wanted to know about this question. Thanks much.

Last edited:

Koffie

Honeyhips said:

I thought you were talking about Poohbear's question, not sugaplum's . My statement was in reference to what Pooh asked. ;)

Cinnabuns

Honeyhips said:

Yeah Koffie I thought that Honeyhips was referring to Poohbear's queston also! :confused:

Which she are you referring to? I thought that people could ask questions if they wanted to and "yes" it is very much on topic especially on a subject such as this. IMHO

Last edited:

melodee

I have tried for years to continue to listen to a very popular urban radio station in my area, even though I knew the music was not uplifting in any way.

The last straw came when the DJ played a very popular gospel song (many morning show hosts will sign off with a gospel song). It was so beautiful, but as soon as it ended, the radio Big Voice shouted "God d---, the best radio station". I was horrified at the blasphemy. I was going to call and complain, but then I said to myself, this isn't the kind of station I should be getting my inspiration from anyway.

After a long haitus, I flipped it on recently (I know, I shoulda known) to hear "Wait till you see my...." . The vulgarity set off my holy spirit alarm, so back to my gospel and jazz I go.

CarLiTa

I didnt read all the replies but that is interesting. I wonder what the Catholic Church would say about American Hip-hop music. I doubt they want us to listen to it either.
Like Poohbear, I actually listen to the words of the song first before I say I love it. Certain songs are so demeaning, I just can't get past the words! and can't listen to the crap at all. Other times, I might like the BEAT but cannot bear to listen to the words. Actually though, I'm not a fan of hip-hop or rap. I listen to R&B and all my ultimate favorite singers and stuff are women and they sing about love and stuff like that, rather than naked girls and money... so I guess I'm kinda good there.

locabouthair

redeemed516 said:
As we all know...Satan is the ruler of the airways (tv, radio, etc) We as Christians can't completly exclude ourselves from what is going on in the world. We have to walk circumspectly and be knowledgable of the times that we live in. As far as hip hop music (and other secular forms of entertainment-ie movies that may not convey a Godly message) we have to be able to listen/watch with a Christian ear/eyes. We don't have to be affected by what we hear and see. If you like rap music for the beat or because you might actually like what a particular song is saying if it is positive/uplifting then I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. I personally like some of it. I can't take all that sex, smack ya momma with a skillet, beat ya girl up, i smoke i drank, sex me till we die type stuff. But i do believe that you shouldn't shun/disregard the entire genre just because you may not agree with what a few of it's representatives are saying. There is that side of Hip Hop that DMX, Tupac, Biggie, Murder Inc. (the INC.), death row and other s represent but the flip side is Hip Hop gospel and CRUNK gospel rap are slowly growing with the Christian youth because they can better relate to it than maybe someone older could.

This is how I feel. I like a lot of secular music because I like the beat but I don't engage in the negative things they talk about. And there are a few rap/hip hop songs that are positive.

Honeyhips

Lovely
I didn't say that she couldn't ask questions, what are you talking about?

Sugaplum's question on repentenance does seem out of place b/c this is a thread about music. Listening to music is not a sin. That is why I got confused. I was asking HER, SUGAPLUM, to exaplain herself.

Cinnabuns said:
Yeah Koffie I thought that Honeyhips was referring to Poohbear's queston also! :confused:

Which she are you referring to? I thought that people could ask questions if they wanted to and "yes" it is very much on topic especially on a subject such as this. IMHO

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Honeyhips said:

I guess the "she" you are referring to is me. Koffie already helped me out with this question.

Thanks Koffie I explained it to my friend as well. :yep:

I thought I explained myself?? At least I thought I did. :look: And what is wrong with posting a question here about this. I'm a Christian coming to other Christians for advice. If so I apologize if my "question is out of place for this thread," but does it really matter where & when I post my question???? :confused: <----For real.

Where the confusion came in was that I'm not the only "she" who spoke on repentence in this thread.

Poohbear

sugaplum said:

Hey sugaplum... this thread may help ya' out: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=58448

By the way, I didn't see anything wrong with you asking this question in this thread. ;)

Be blessed!

Honeyhips

Lovely
I DID NOT SAY IT WAS WRONG!!!! (yes I'm shouting, cuz y'all not hearing me) It just seemed like she SUGAPLUM thought that listening to music was a sin. I did not understand where she was coming from which is why I ASKED THE QUESTION for CLARIFICATION! She could have easily said she was asking a question and it was off topic from the main title but related to something else. IT WAS NOT THIS SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!! Plus it is a good topic that could really use a thread on its own.
Poohbear said:
Hey sugaplum... this thread may help ya' out: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=58448

By the way, I didn't see anything wrong with you asking this question in this thread. ;)

Be blessed!

Honeyhips

Lovely
YEs I was referring to your question, I didn't quote you b/c I posted directely under you. I don't care where you post yoru question. I GOT CONFUSED, and asked for CLARIFICATION. THAT IS ALL. I didn't realize you were veering off topic, so your question did not relate to music to me at all. Because listening to music is not a sin. It's simple really.
sugaplum said:
I guess the "she" you are referring to is me. Koffie already helped me out with this question.

Thanks Koffie I explained it to my friend as well. :yep:

I thought I explained myself?? At least I thought I did. :look: And what is wrong with posting a question here about this. I'm a Christian coming to other Christians for advice. If so I apologize if my "question is out of place for this thread," but does it really matter where & when I post my question???? :confused: <----For real.

Where the confusion came in was that I'm not the only "she" who spoke on repentence in this thread.