Should I cancel My Aveda Insitute Hair Coloring Appointment?

Country gal

I am cosidering cancelling my hair appointment I made with Aveda Institute. After much condideration, research on this board and Nappy's, I decided to take the plunge. I went to the institute to get more details. At first the receptionist was clueless so I spoke to another lady. She was really helpful. I think she is a floater that floats around to the school. I also called the Georgetown Aveda salon since they have the color treatment that is great for darker colored hair. The stylist there was extremely helpful. She talked with me on the phone for at least 10 minutes. She was explaining to me what the different color processes are. So I decided to go with the school versus the Georgetown salon strictly on price. The schools are half the price of the salons because they have students. The students do go through a rigoruous training first.

SO I called the Gallery Place Aveda Institute, the young lady on the phone was so impatient. I told her I wanted to make an appointment, For this weekend. She was like there wasn't anything open until two weeks later. I couldn't do that day so I asked for the last week of the month. She was like we can't do it that week it will have to wait until the end of April. I was frustated because it was like she wasn't trying to let me know which appointments were open on the calendar. I was like I will just come down there. So I go down there, I am told we can't make your appointment in person only on the phone. I was like why didn't the young lady tell me this on the phone instead of having me come all the way here for nothing. Finally they bulged and let me make the appointment in person. The lady I talked to on the phone and her cronie can't make little sly expressions. When I was making other appointment for bikini waxes and pedicures, they acted like they were pressed for time. I am big on customer service (as some of you know from my outburst at the DC meeting) I don't like investing my money into a company that does not respect their customers. I am really considering cancelling the appointment because of the frosty reception today. Am I overreacting?

Nope. I had this happened to me before. On several occations. Those skanks only do my $8 and then I leave. I lost a lot of hair becuse of the tramps and the bad relaxer they gave me. I was under the impression that the students were supervised...NOT! Those lazy monitors/wanna be stylist are about a bag of beans. The only people that are nice are the directors because their job is really on the line.

The students are not held responsible for their actions, so thats why they do a snoty job. I wouldn cancel immediatley becuse the money they return for the messed up job they do is not going to put the hair back on your head. I found that out the hard. Peace:D

I don't think you are overreacting at all. I have had negative experiences at both of the Aveda Salons in my area. So has my Aunt. In my experience they don't like "us" to purchase their products or services. I would cancel, been there done that.

I called the supervisor and left a message for her. I had heard such positive comments about Aveda. I am so dissappointed in the response I got.

The chicks were minorities. The appointment scheduler was black with natural hair. The other girl was indian descent.

Last edited:
Height said:
No you are not. I would contact the owner of the school.

I 2nd this BIG TIME! You may even get money off or your visit complimentary. I feel like if they didn't want to come to work that day they shouldn't have came :mad:

The owner must and SHOULD know about this!!

nikki1971 said:
I don't think you are overreacting at all. I have had negative experiences at both of the Aveda Salons in my area. So has my Aunt. In my experience they don't like "us" to purchase their products or services. I would cancel, been there done that.

When I talked to the Georgetown Aveda Stylist, she mentioned that she doesn't have a problem doing natural hair. She did say some of the other stylists prefer relaxed hair because natural is difficult to do.

nikki1971 said:

Sorry about this :( I have never received bad experiences with them. They are always pushing samples down my throat which I love. Sorry again.

I think you got a bad person on the phone and unfortunately in person. When I went up there I was allowed to make an appt. in person (however it was for a facial), but they are crazy booked and they told me that they couldn't make any more appts. that month, but the next time they'd be avail. was April. I think this has to do with their class schedules because the new class is coming in this mth. so the students probably will not be trained enough to do your service until April (since this is a school). I think it's good that you left a msg. with a supervisor, just make sure that they know that you've had a bad cust. serv. experience with some of their staff (if these are students too they should get reprimanded because Aveda has classes on that as well). Did you catch the names of the ppl. who you dealt with?

I didn't catch the their names. Qtgirl- what you are saying makes sense. The staff needs to be trained to tell me exactly what you said. The girl was not trying to be forthcoming with the information. I understand that you can't do any walkins only appointments.

I would say to try and get a referral for someone who works at an Aveda Concept Salon. I am in Chicago and have been getting my hair colored with Aveda for the past 5 years. I go to one of the concept salons and have not had a problem. I think going to the school is a good idea but it really could be hit or miss. If folks are not professional or they are giving you an attitude I would definitely re-think going THERE.

I say cancel. You get that service coming into the building what lies behind the receptionist desk cant be too much better. I mean come on!

Aww girl, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I would seriously think about going to the Aveda in Georgetown if you feel uncomfortable. I heard good things about this salon from my formers stylists at an Aveda salon in Boston. I know it will cost more, but it is so worth it with Aveda.

Man I am mad they were acting all shady with you. They were nice to me the one time that I happened to stop in there. I believe I talked to a white receptionist but that was back in the fall.

Let us know what the supervisor says in response to your voicemail. Glad you let them know that the service was ridiculous and turning away a potential customer.

Awww, im sorry u had a bad time. We were all hype about getting our hair colored at Aveda! :lol:

I hope when it comes time for me to make my appointment I don't have a bad time. And why in the world can't they make an appointment in person?! thats the lamest thing i've ever heard!

I may consider going to Georgetown Aveda salon. The cost would be double. I talked to a Georgetown stylist who seemed to know her stuff.

The supervisor called me back. She said she was calling me back to get more details. I explained to her that the staff needs be more customer focus. I realize they are a school and not an institute. Customer service skills need to be learned early on. She says she is sorry that my experience was bad over the phone. She did want me to realize that there is a big different between the concept salon and institute. She says at the institute they are a school and are not a salon. I explained to her that I was very familar with beauty schools. It doesn't matter if they are a school or a salon, customer service should be number one. The students need to learn how to better answer questions on the phone and in person. I shouldn't have to feel rushed if I have a question on new to the Institute. She claims she was taking notes and appreicated the feedback. My feeling is she trying to say it is a school so they are learning. She was saying it normally takes longer at the school than the salon becuase they are students. I told her I had no problems with the service taking longer but it's getting in the door that was the problem. I plan on calling the Georgetown location for their pricing.

I'm glad the sup. talked to you and took the time to note your concerns.

You might also want to check out BNatural Salon in Bowie, it is an aveda concept salon and my friend who is natural goes there and gets a lot of services (not color though). http://www.bnaturalvillage.com/

i have had good experiences at the aveda salons i have visited in ny, the institute in soho ;) is great, you really can't blame the whole salon for two a$$es that can't handles their jobs at the front desk.:ohwell:

feel it out. weigh the options of money, convenience of time/date, etc. and make your decision. I agree that you should follow up & contact the owner and tell them how you feel. They boast of such good products and great stylists but can't get decent receptionists, really :confused: . GL to you.

I cancelled the appointment with Aveda. I decided to try another salon in DC. This lady I know gets her hair done and she was raving about her hair stylist. He is licensed and uses Redken hair coloring products. So crossing my fingers and wishing for good luck.

Back