Should I cut my hair or let it grow out?

growinstrong

OP, this is the exact same thing that I'm dealing with now. I had some color that I think is breaking off my hair little by little and my ends look very bad to me. I, as I think you should do it cut a little at a time. It looks like you need 2"-3" cut off, but definitely not to shoulder length, maybe APL as others have suggested. I'm thinking of my cut in a positive light, a fresh cut for 2013 :yep:. I plan to moisturize and baby my ends, take my vits, drink plent of water, low manipulation and I learned that stretching is not for me. I will be relaxing every 10 weeks in 2013 instead of 13. Believe it or not, ending that stretch 3 weeks earlier makes a big difference in my hair. It'll be ok and it will grow back. I agree, if you hold on to it like I've been doing, you will get nowhere. Good luck!

mnemosyne

Cut the damage off. I just had to cut from MBL back up to APL because I thought I could wait it out. The splits and damage will travel back up the hair shaft making it worse in the long run.

belletropjolie

UPDATE!!

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys!

I just realized that I never updated this thread or respond to some of the questions. So I am adding my reggie below and also attaching a few pictures of my hair post cut.

I ended up cutting to roughly APL by just pulling my hair forward (to my collar bone) and just guesstimated where APL would fall lol.

My hair already looks much thicker than it was previously and I love that it has a more uniform look.

In terms of my current reggie: All I do is cowash almost every day, deep condition once a week and protein as needed. I use Joico Moisture Recovery to cowash and DC. For DC's I use Joico but add in other goodies like honey, castor oil or coconut oil.
- I were buns 100% of the time
- Shampoo infrequently, once a week tops. To shampoo I use Organix cherry blossom (SLS Free) and ORS Creamy Aloe to clarify
- I've started using Dabur to oil my ends though I am not consistent with this.

I have been super lazy and haven't kept up with my m&s :blush:. Its just time consuming and feels like work. I'm hoping that the frequent cowashing (which is very easy and convenient for me) will give me the moisture I need. Should I up my m&s or maybe just up the frequency of DC's?

Last edited: