SHOULD I FIND ANOTHER SALON?

Wolftrap

Most of you know I go to the Dominican Salon weekly. There are 2 that I go to but one in particular I favor because I just feel they do my hair better.

The other day I went to get my hair done after work. If you are familiar with Dominican Salons you know that you don't need an appointment you just walk in. So I was the only customer in the salon that night. I always bring my own products with me (Keracare). I had her put in the Keracare Humecto in my hair and then I sat under the dryer with it for a deep conditioner. I set the dryer at 15 minutes. Well after 5 minutes she is calling me over to the sink to rinse it out. I was like "but I've only been here for 5 minutes" She tells me that since I am the only customer that they want to go home so she is trying to get me out quickly. I was thinking to myself "what the hell?" So I reluctantly got up and let her rinse it out. Now Keracare Humecto is like $11 a bottle and for a small bottle at that. I want to get my FULL benefits from this product. Even the bottle says leave in for 15-20 minutes. And what irked me even more is that while I was being rinsed out 4 more customers walked in the door at the same time and that means I could have been under there longer.

What do you guys think? Should I find another salon or try again? I know some of you ladies have had problems and have sworn stylists off. This really bothered me and this is not the first time in my life I have encountered an impatient stylist at other salons.

Allandra

If you really like this salon, I think you should tell your stylist that you'd like to get deep conditioners with heat for at least 15 minutes. If you don't tell her, she will think that leaving you under the dryer for 5 minutes is fine. Please don't ever be afraid to speak up. After all, it's your hair.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
If you don't tell her, she will think that leaving you under the dryer for 5 minutes is fine. Please don't ever be afraid to speak up. After all, it's your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, she DID tell her. It's just that in this particular case, what was she supposed to say when the stylist said they all wanted to leave early?? NO, I'M GONNA STAY UNDER HERE FOR 15 MIN.'S WHETHER Y'ALL LIKE IT OR NOT??

I don't think so!! This was the kind of situation where you would need to comply with the stylist's wishes, IMO. (If she wanted to leave there with any hair on her head, that is!!!
)

Yes, it was wrong for her to try and rush you out of there, but heck, what can you do (except stop going there...)

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
Well, she DID tell her. It's just that in this particular case, what was she supposed to say when the stylist said they all wanted to leave early?? NO, I'M GONNA STAY UNDER HERE FOR 15 MIN.'S WHETHER Y'ALL LIKE IT OR NOT??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I felt. I guess I figure if I'm paying you money then I should expect what I want but then on the other hand I can say you get what you pay for and don't expect excellent treatment when you are only paying $15 for a wash and set.
I haven't had this problem with them before but when other stylists have done it I haven't spoken up about it. If its one thing I learned from this board it is to speak up. I would just let the stylist do whatever and then go cry to my husband when I got home. But no more.

KinksnCurlz

I agree with Allandra. WT - how long have you been frequenting this salon? R u a regular customer? If you are, than it wouldn't have mattered one way or the other, you should have told her you have 10 more minutes. If that ever happens again, i suggest you tell them as they r putting it in that u want YOUR product left in YOUR hair for 15 minutes tops and YOU will let THEM know when its ready to b rinsed out

I look at it this way, would she have appreciated you telling her that you're going 2 give her $10 for that wash 'n set b/c u bring your own products and/or u didn't get the full benefits of your conditioner? Me thinks not

Wolftrap

I've been going since the beginning of January once a week. I haven't really had any other problems with them other then they are so damn jam packed sometimes. I am going to go again and hopefully she won't say anything about how long I'm under the dryer, if she does then that is it. I won't be going there anymore.

melodee

I think you've answered your own question. You should look for another stylist, at least as a backup. If you just really like the way your salon does hair, you will need to tell her that you didn't appreciate being rushed out of the salon that day and that you just won't be coming back if they do it again. Most often, they will want you back, and will apologize and be kind. If not, well then they aren't worthy of doing your hair.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I think you've answered your own question. You should look for another stylist, at least as a backup. If you just really like the way your salon does hair, you will need to tell her that you didn't appreciate being rushed out of the salon that day and that you just won't be coming back if they do it again. Most often, they will want you back, and will apologize and be kind. If not, well then they aren't worthy of doing your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

miss_brown

I don't know if you should find another salon, but I do know that you have INSISTED (as another poster said) that you remain under the dryer. I don't even think that it would have taken that much... just a simple "No, I'm letting it condition for 15 minutes as the directions say" and then ignoring her would have worked just fine.

For God's sake, an extra 10 minutes would not have killed anyone.

cutebajangirl

Okay so my main problem is this whole concept of you get what you pay for. Wolftrap please don't think that way. THEY set the price not you. So for the price THEY set you should get the treatment you want. If it costs more for them to do the hair right then they should charge more and do the hair properly. It is not like you bargined with them like braids. I once had a hairdresser tell me it is only 12 dollars what do you expect. So I said well I am not happy and I am not paying. (I was so proud of myself) and I left. I can mess up my own hair. When I pay someone I expect good quality not to go to a salon and leave with worse hair than I came with. So find a back up stylist, you go there too much to get treated like that.