SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER!!! PROBLEMS FINALLY SOLVED

Nanyanika

I've come to the conclusion that by using wrong techniques has resulted in unecessary hair breakage, i eliminated this issue in one session.

I co-washed my hair last night and eliminated the use of my k-cutter comb on wet hair. To my surprise my breakage halted instantly. instead of using a ponytail holder on wet hair, i rolled and pinned my hair and left it to airdry. when i took my hair down i had absolutely no breakage.

I've made so many silly mistakes since being fully relaxed: here are a few

no protein
combing hair wet
using ponytail holders on wet hair

finally my hair is not breaking off anymore since last night. within the next week or so i will be braiding up, to give my mane a rest from all the manipulation and hopefully those broken hairs will strengthen and grow out by the time i have my next relaxer.

thats good den...

i would never touch my relaxed wet hair with a comb

as soon as water touches my hair, it aint seein a comb for 7 days!

hope ur kool, we need to catch-up

Candy xx

Candy_C said:
thats good den...

i would never touch my relaxed wet hair with a comb

as soon as water touches my hair, it aint seein a comb for 7 days!

hope ur kool, we need to catch-up

Candy xx
Your probably thinking I'M MAD, i can't believe i'm been soo stupid, its shameful, look how long i've been on this forum. i've caused soo much damage. btw your hair is looking great man, its grown beautifully. catch up soon then.

seraphinelle said:
Good stuff Den,
I'm glad it's working out for you!
Thanks....i'll never put another comb in my head for a long while, i just use my fingers to detangle instead.

Careful that you don't go from one extreme to the other!

I'm the opposite, I can't comb my hair when dry... I can almost hear my hair screaming at me. And my scalp gets all tender.

I'm glad you found what works.. But I agree with the protein thing and the ponytail holder!!

Hate to see all your good work go to waste!!

den1 said:
I've come to the conclusion that by using wrong techniques has resulted in unnecessary hair breakage, i eliminated this issue in one session.

I co-washed my hair last night and eliminated the use of my k-cutter comb on wet hair. To my surprise my breakage halted instantly. instead of using a ponytail holder on wet hair, i rolled and pinned my hair and left it to airdry. when i took my hair down i had absolutely no breakage.

no protein
combing hair wet

finally my hair is not breaking off anymore since last night. within the next week or so i will be braiding up, to give my mane a rest from all the manipulation and hopefully those broken hairs will strengthen and grow out by the time i have my next relaxer.
=======
Did you stop using protein? If so why and what made you start using it again?...:wallbash: :spinning: My relaxed hair is driving me crazy

LadyZ said:
=======
Did you stop using protein? If so why and what made you start using it again?...:wallbash: :spinning: My relaxed hair is driving me crazy
Yes, i was under the false illusion that if i use henna i could replace protein treatmebnts since it strengthens,, i later learned that i was incorrect and my hair paid me back by breaking, as soon as i resumed protein my hair strengthened and thicknened pretty quick. you must always follow up reconstructors with a moisturising conditioner though. Because my hair is pretty straight, i use mild protein followed a moisturising conditioner every week, to keep a good balance. however, since i eliminated my comb, i'm not suffering all this breakage anymore.

no hun i dont think ur mad at all, i've been on the forum for a whiel myself and i'm still learning about things.

I cant say i've really mastered much other than non-manipulation lol. which helps cos i'm kinda lazy with the hair department now.

relaxed hair is a crazy journey in itself. i was thinking about henna and all those other treats, but i'm not too sure if i can be a*sed lol. the more lazy you are with hair, i've realised the longer and stronger it is!

i just pop pills (vitamins!) now and forget about it.

try no combing, dont be scared of tangles. finger comb if anything sis.

i really dont think protein is needed toooo tough. i used to have the most brittlist weakest hair, and all it needed was extra water no protein after all.

ps . Hun, have you tried avocado protein, its sooo goooood. i just used it. i heated it up and its a bit different when warm.

try it out on dry hair for 2 hours b4 u shampoo. thats the only protein i need and i use it every 10 weeks or so

candy

xx

Last edited:
I'm glad you got your problems solved. I love it when we have hair epiphanies like that. GO YOU!!

Candy_C said:
no hun i dont think ur mad at all, i've been on the forum for a whiel myself and i'm still learning about things.

I cant say i've really mastered much other than non-manipulation lol. which helps cos i'm kinda lazy with the hair department now.

relaxed hair is a crazy journey in itself. i was thinking about henna and all those other treats, but i'm not too sure if i can be a*sed lol. the more lazy you are with hair, i've realised the longer and stronger it is!

i just pop pills (vitamins!) now and forget about it.

try no combing, dont be scared of tangles. finger comb if anything sis.

i really dont think protein is needed toooo tough. i used to have the most brittlist weakest hair, and all it needed was extra water no protein after all.

ps . Hun, have you tried avocado protein, its sooo goooood. i just used it. i heated it up and its a bit different when warm.

try it out on dry hair for 2 hours b4 u shampoo. thats the only protein i need and i use it every 10 weeks or so

candy

xx
I should probably follow your technique i do way too much to my hair. oh well i need to start getting lazy then lol.... i'm finger combing all the way, i'm scared of that damn comb. thanks for suggesting the avocado treatment, i've never tried it before how do you make it? thanks

Whimsy said:
I'm glad you got your problems solved. I love it when we have hair epiphanies like that. GO YOU!!
Thank-you, for some reason my hair problems are habitual, i need to say a hair prayer, i really don't need anymore issues.

Hi Den1,

I have always loved your hair... So pretty and thick.... We all have set backs from time to time... I think my hair needs a good Aphogee protein treatment... I have not done one in a while and my hair is really acting up... I will be getting a touch-up this thursday... and I think next week I will use a reconstructor and deep condition with a good moisturizing conditioner... If you don't mind, what reconstructor and hard core protein treatments do you use and what do you use as a deep moisturizing conditioner...

I use Motions Reconstruct for a mild treatment after a touch-up and I use Bone Marrow as a hard core once every six weeks(I used to use Aphogee, which I am planning on going back to in a couple of weeks)...

I used to use Elasta DPR-11 for deep conditioning.... I am currently using Motion's Moisture Plus(which I love the way my hair feels afterwards)...

I am just trying to see what everyone uses... My hair needs help... I think it needs a good protein treatment....

TIA

Don't worry too much about your hair... It will bounce back....

Yeah, banding wet hair is not a good idea. I think the reasoning is your hair stretches out when it is wet, andwhen it dries it will contract so if you band it will not "give" when it dries so you will have some breakage because your hair can't shrink up like it wants to. You should secure it loosely with braids or twists, and only clip down the ends.

WOOHOO! Good for you Den. I'm so glad you found out what the culprit was. Isn't it like a breath of fresh air? Glad to hear that you're back on track:)

Could you send some of those problem solving skills over this way lol
but Glad you found out what the problem was

and loved your fotki sorry it's not up anymore

your braid take down help me with my C&G 's

My friend is always telling me not to comb or brush my hair when wet, but my hair breaks when its dry (I'm natural) Does that make the difference?

den1 said:
I should probably follow your technique i do way too much to my hair. oh well i need to start getting lazy then lol.... i'm finger combing all the way, i'm scared of that damn comb. thanks for suggesting the avocado treatment, i've never tried it before how do you make it? thanks

you have mail!
:)

So glad you posted this. I was having the same problem and didn't related it to combing my wet hair. Thanks for sharing. I will definately see if stopping that behavior will change the condition of my hair.

I miss your Fotki. You are truly an inspiration.

I am happy you are realizing what works and what doesn't...I am going through that stage too. Good job!:)

I've come to the conclusion that by using wrong techniques has resulted in unecessary hair breakage, i eliminated this issue in one session.

no protein

combing hair wet

Not relaxed anymore, but I took not deep conditioning with protein for granted. When you have any type of chemical process done (relaxer, texturizer, color,etc.) regular protein treatments are an absolute necessity.

Glad you found what works for you.

Not relaxed anymore, but I took not deep conditioning with protein for granted. When you have any type of chemical process done (relaxer, texturizer, color,etc.) regular protein treatments are an absolute necessity.

Glad you found what works for you.

I SO AGREE!

Not using protein on the regular basis is what kept me from retaining length for the first 2 yrs of my HHJ! I was thinking I was protein sensitive until I realized my hair was protein deficient.

:sad:IA: It is definitely a "Learning" Process. And unfortunately OR fortunately (however you choose to look at it:look:) alot of it is "Trial & Error" until you really learn your hair.

This 1st year of my HHJ and becoming a DIY'er has all been alot of reading, research and trial & error.:blush:

I have never taken care of my own hair.:nono: My mother was a licensed cosmetologist and it was from there to being a weekly client at a Salon. So, someone always had 'oversight' my my Tresses (good & bad).

Hopefully, year 2 will start to bring me the "Results" I am looking for.:yep:

Back