Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

30something

I'm going to try to go 2 months without using heat wish me luck. I can't wait to see everyone's hair by December. I can't wait to join the armpit length challenge for next year, maybe I can actually get it this time.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm already taking my braids out lol. They been up a little over a month but I miss my hair! I can't cowash how I want and DC like I want so yeah they coming out!

claud-uk

Good luck 20Something, whenever I get the urge to do a random flat iron I just pile product on my hair so I can't - it's worked so far!

Doing a WGO + Con pre-poo tonight, will cowash in the a.m. and then DC overnight tomorrow.

LOVE my new between-wash protein moisturizer - I mixed Mirpur Soy Cholesterol with Elasta Mango Butter... gorgeous soft ends!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Sigh well I just had DH cut off 2 1/2- 3 in of hair all over my head. I am no longer SL :( I think from when I bc a year ago I didn't get call the relaxed ends and its always bothered me but now I feel very liberated and free of my ends. Sad but good feeling and its just hair it will grow back! Anyway hoping to get back to SL by end of the year. I will post pics once my hair is styled after I finish dcing.

30something

Sigh well I just had DH cut off 2 1/2- 3 in of hair all over my head. I am no longer SL :( I think from when I bc a year ago I didn't get call the relaxed ends and its always bothered me but now I feel very liberated and free of my ends. Sad but good feeling and its just hair it will grow back! Anyway hoping to get back to SL by end of the year. I will post pics once my hair is styled after I finish dcing.

:sad: nooooo
You still have time to make SHL as you said. 2 1/2 inches would give me a heart attack.

ladyscorpian14

I don't think I'm going to make it but I'm not giving up winter is coming so no more wash n gos for me to muck SSKs don't have time for it. pressing my hair and wigs for the rest of the year

MaraWithLove

Here are pics of a length check I did back on the 25th, on a twistout. I didn't even waste time measuring the front because I know it is nowhere near SL.
Just as claud-uk is in both this challenge and the APL challenge for various parts of her hair; I believe I, too, will find myself in that position and that's okay. :yep: I do feel that the back will make SL by the end of the year without a problem, so that bit I'm happy about!

Attachments

• IMG_20120825_132329.jpg
    IMG_20120825_132329.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20120825_132336.jpg
    IMG_20120825_132336.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20120825_132517.jpg
    IMG_20120825_132517.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20120825_132624.jpg
    IMG_20120825_132624.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 52

BadMamaJama

I'm in. I'm sl in back, but I want to get my front sides to sl. My hair in the back grows faster than the front. This is the longest I let my hair get my hair before I usually cut it. I've always like short cuts so I've never let my hair get too long. I'm going to boot camp it for the rest of the year so I can let my hair grow.

*No heat
*Half wigs
*Stretch relaxer
*Keep hair cornrowed
*Co wash at least 2 times a week
*DC 2 times a week
*NJoy sulfur mix

Missmyssi

I'm in the same situation as you, BadMamaJama. My hair in the back is sl, but my sides aren't. I'm a newbie, but I'm joining this one. I want healthy, full, thick, sl hair.

I plan to stretch relaxers to 8-10 weeks, ps with half-wigs, m&s with s curl and coconut oil, dc weekly with KC humecto, and see how it goes!

claud-uk

No problem at all claud-uk:
1) shampoo with Paul mitchell tea tree shampoo
2) shampoo with Onesta moisturizing shampoo
3) conditioned with Onesta moisturizing conditioner
4) sprayed wirh onesta detangler/leave-in and heat protectant. Then sectioned into 6
5) Combed each section with a wide tooth comb, blow dried with brush and secured with a clip
6) Trimmed each section
7) 2 passes with flat iron

Hi gvin89 - I'm really sorry, I have more questions :blush::lol:

At Step 4, do you wait for the leave-in to dry and then add the heat protectant? Or do you pretty much apply both at the same time? Also, is your heat protectant a spray or a serum? What temp is your flat iron? Thank you very much in advance!

Ann0804

I blow dried my hair and flat ironed. It took all of 2 hours to do so I don't think I will be doing it again before the Christmas holiday. I did trim my ends, so they look much better. I am making progress, but like everyone is reporting my sides are taking longer than the back to become SL. If anyone has any blow out tips, please share b/c my ends did not blow out or flat iron well.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I blow dried my hair and flat ironed. It took all of 2 hours to do so I don't think I will be doing it again before the Christmas holiday. I did trim my ends, so they look much better. I am making progress, but like everyone is reporting my sides are taking longer than the back to become SL. If anyone has any blow out tips, please share b/c my ends did not blow out or flat iron well.

Try Paul Mitchell super skinny and sabino moisture block I think I spelled them right lol!

Seamonster

We will all get there eventually. My sides are outgrowing the rest of my hair. I have cut them a few times and finally am at peace with it. Hoping to get some growth in the crown by year end.

gvin89

Hi @gvin89 - I'm really sorry, I have more questions :blush::lol:

At Step 4, do you wait for the leave-in to dry and then add the heat protectant? Or do you pretty much apply both at the same time? Also, is your heat protectant a spray or a serum? What temp is your flat iron? Thank you very much in advance!

claud-uk, no prob at all...glad to assist. The leave-in was applied to each section and then repinned....then go back and spray the heat protectant (Onesta spray). My air was really straightened by the blow dryer...the flat iron was just to bump the ends and provide a style. It was on med-low heat...I will have to ask the exact temp, but it wasn't crazy hot smoking and all that.

30something

Are you using a blow drying comb attachment?

Ann0804

I think I'm going to reduce co washing sessions to once a week to reduce over manipulating my hair and to give me a break from styling it. lol

claud-uk

Thank you for sharing gvin89, I'm looking forward to giving this another try - even 50% of your shine and swaaaang will do me! :yep: This will help a lot of other ladies out too, I'm sure!

afroette - That's good progress, sounds like you're doing things just right. What did you change up?

30something

Well, I didn't make it to 2 months without heat, only did 6 weeks. I realized that I really should stick to incorporating heat in my regimen. I saw no difference in health I just experience more SSK where my shed hair would wrap around the ends of my healthy hair would happen often it just sometimes annoying.

30something

No, I just used a large paddle brush. Do you think it's best to use a comb attachment? TIA

For my hair the comb attachment was the only thing that helped get my ends straight enough. There are some people who dont like the comb because of possible breakage and do the tension method. I never was successful doing tension method.

Here an video about tension method.. it works for some
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHjwIl9UvY

afroette

claud-uk at first I rubbed only JBCO in my crown and then I started using MN. My crown grew the most with the MN. I might start that again. I think I'm going to start forcing myself to alternate thr sides of my head that i sleep on too.

Where's an update pic from you??

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

afroette

My crown hair progress june 2012 to sept 2012

Attachments

• short hair copy.jpg
    short hair copy.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 156
  • photo-9 copy.jpg
    photo-9 copy.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 53
  • photo-8 copy.jpg
    photo-8 copy.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 49

claud-uk

Hi afroette - thanks for the update, I asked about JBCO in the shop today but it cost £12/$19 so I left it, would love to add this to my DC but that's a bit pricey for me at the moment. Are you pleased with your results? Is the rest of your hair getting much longer than the crown or is the crown catching up? It looks like it's grown in general bc the ends aren't as neat/straight as they were before!!!

I'll be doing a length check on 30th September - my hair needs some prep otherwise no way I can flatiron it but I don't even have a comb or mirror at the moment :nono: It's way thicker but idk how much growth, I'm hoping the back is closer to APL than CBL. The front is probably just short of jaw length. The main thing is my transition is almost over, very little dead ends left now :yep:

Had some serious breakage this last week, I used Aphogee 2 min + Hydrolyzed Protein over the weekend, and have been spritzing the ends with Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin every other day. It's not so bad now, but will be doing a deep protein treatment this coming weekend with Vatika Egg Protein + Vitale Pro Mayo. Thought I was getting this cycle of breakage under control but it just shows that you always gotta be on top of your game, ahead of the competition and making sure nobody moved your cheese, lol!

Here's what I bought today:

* Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Con
* Vatika Egg Protein Treatment
* Vitale Pro Olive Oil Hair Mayo
* Mizani H20 :lick:
* Mizani Butter Rich Hairdress :lick:
* Ultra Sheen Moisture Blend Leave In
* CON AO Oil Moisturizer
* Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Recon
* ORS Humidity Control
* Frizz Ease 3-Day Straight

Attachments

• buys-2012-09-21-001.jpg
    buys-2012-09-21-001.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

afroette

claud-uk, sorry to hear about the breakage! I definitely got lazy the last few weeks before my relaxer.

My hair did grow overall. I also got a trim though of at least .5 inch and maybe more in some areas, and my hair got really tangled after the relaxer so I know I lost some hair that way. The stylist wasn't very gentle in getting the tangles out. My hair is thicker in the back but the front remains the same. I like the thickness of the back and hope my front will grow to meet it. I think the MN caused excessive shedding and I am also battling anemia. I plan to see a dermatologist. I am not sure if JBCO is any better than regular castor oil. I have both and only see a color and odor difference. I certainly wouldn't spend $18 on it!

Hyacinthe

claud-uk said:
Hi afroette - thanks for the update, I asked about JBCO in the shop today but it cost £12/$19 so I left it, would love to add this to my DC but that's a bit pricey for me at the moment. Are you pleased with your results? Is the rest of your hair getting much longer than the crown or is the crown catching up? It looks like it's grown in general bc the ends aren't as neat/straight as they were before!!!

I'll be doing a length check on 30th September - my hair needs some prep otherwise no way I can flatiron it but I don't even have a comb or mirror at the moment :nono: It's way thicker but idk how much growth, I'm hoping the back is closer to APL than CBL. The front is probably just short of jaw length. The main thing is my transition is almost over, very little dead ends left now :yep:

Had some serious breakage this last week, I used Aphogee 2 min + Hydrolyzed Protein over the weekend, and have been spritzing the ends with Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin every other day. It's not so bad now, but will be doing a deep protein treatment this coming weekend with Vatika Egg Protein + Vitale Pro Mayo. Thought I was getting this cycle of breakage under control but it just shows that you always gotta be on top of your game, ahead of the competition and making sure nobody moved your cheese, lol!

* CON AO Oil Moisturizer
* ORS Humidity Control

Sorry to hear about the breakage,you will be fine. I love Aphogee green tea it's one of my staples.
I am also a mizani fiend lol. Have you tried mizani butter rich,and how does it work for you?
I have a full jar that I bought months ago but It not moisturizing enough for my NG it makes it dry.

sent from IPad using LHCF app. POW!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

* CON AO Oil Moisturizer
* ORS Humidity Control

Hopefully you can get the breakage under control. Lmk how you like your new products bc I haven't tried any of those. I need to use up my stash and then pick what will be staples maybe lol.

claud-uk

claud-uk, sorry to hear about the breakage! I definitely got lazy the last few weeks before my relaxer.

My hair did grow overall. I also got a trim though of at least .5 inch and maybe more in some areas, and my hair got really tangled after the relaxer so I know I lost some hair that way. The stylist wasn't very gentle in getting the tangles out. My hair is thicker in the back but the front remains the same. I like the thickness of the back and hope my front will grow to meet it. I think the MN caused excessive shedding and I am also battling anemia. I plan to see a dermatologist. I am not sure if JBCO is any better than regular castor oil. I have both and only see a color and odor difference. I certainly wouldn't spend $18 on it!

Thank you afroette - do you use porosity control? one of the other ladies advised me to use this regularly to stop my relaxed ends tangling and it works! I use Lustrasilk PC 1-2x per month and haven't had that problem since. I'm sorry you are suffering with anaemia, my DH had this and before it was diagnosed things were really bad for her, we even thought she might be taking drugs bc the symptoms were so harsh, so I absolutely sympathise. I hope you can get a prescription to help get this under control without further delay. Hugs. On a lighter note, have you tried adding castor oil to your DC? That was another recommendation from someone else (I must find out who these clever ladies were so I can credit them properly) and it's probably my #1 hair tip, I'm trying to spread the word! I use 3 parts con to 1 part castor oil.

Sorry to hear about the breakage,you will be fine. I love Aphogee green tea it's one of my staples.
I am also a mizani fiend lol. Have you tried mizani butter rich,and how does it work for you?
I have a full jar that I bought months ago but It not moisturizing enough for my NG it makes it dry.

Hi Hyacinthe, how's your HHJ going? Thanks very much for your msg - my hands were covered with at least 1 months worth of breakage just from running them through my hair :ohwell: I work hard to keep breakage under control bc I didn't have the balls to do the BC, so I dust and do a protein tx 1x per week without fail, so when things start to go wrong like this I panic, bc I only know how to prevent problems, not fix them.

I'm going to start using Aph GT at least 1x per week on my ends, between protein treatments. I only bought it to use for my flatiron next weekend but looking at the ingredients it will double up nicely as a midweek protein spritz. What do you use it for and how often are you using it? I agree 100% about the Mizani Butter Rich!!!!! My DH got it when I asked him to get the H20 but the shop was sold out. I tried it and found it did nothing for my hair, no moisture or softness or anything, not even a little bit of grease for some slip, and I was mad cost it costs $$ over here! Then one day I was flatironing and didn't have any heat protectant or serum or anything (I grew up not knowing how to care for my hair). I put a little bit of this on and flatironed... let me tell you girl you ain't never seen smoother, shinier, silkier higher quality straight hair like it!!!!! On my daughter's life, I was blown away. Idk why but somehow the texture/ingredients in the Butter Rich work with the flatiron like it was just meant to be. I cannot wait to try this again for the first time since starting my HHJ, the only thing i'm worried about is that I will be using heat protectant and idk if that will affect the way the Butter Rich works. So basically i only bought it to flatiron with bc its useless for it's intended purpose or anything else!!!!! I got the h20 bc it's the only thing I remember using on my relaxed hair that ever made it feel soft or nice. Hoping it works the same for my natural hair too, if so Mizani will be replacing Keracare in my stash :yep:

Hopefully you can get the breakage under control. Lmk how you like your new products bc I haven't tried any of those. I need to use up my stash and then pick what will be staples maybe lol.

hi HairPleezeGrow, thank you for your kind words, i will update back here if my new routine works, this will help somebody else I hope. I can already tell you about the Creme of Nature Argan Oil moisturizer - I used it on one side of my head and the Ultra Care I used on the other side. Even pouring from the bottle there was a big diff. The CON is thick/rich, but the UC wasn't. The CON has more slip, went on nicely and instantly softened the hair. The UC didn't make my hair feel soft or moisturized, just damp. I got the CON bc I'm so impressed with their Argan Oil Conditioner and it has not disappointed, Straight away this became an instant staple, just like the conditioner. I recommend you try them both, they cost pennies at about £3/$4.50 each.

Will be trying the Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair con and the Vatika Egg Protein mask this weekend so will update how those worked for me. I got them both bc they are DC treatments, instructions say to leave on for at least 15 mins.

The Vitale Hair Mayo is already a staple, it's a protein tx that leaves the hair soft and heavy, not thin and dry/hard like some protein does. With some proteins I mix coconut oil in to soften the effect but no need to with this. It's perfect for regular use.

I am flatironing next weekend, first time in a couple of months and my last results were so poor that i need to get a good result this time. I considered doing a BKT but I decided to try the John Frieda 3-Day Straight bc it's cheap, washes out with your next shampoo and I have read good reviews. That together with the ORS Humidity control I should be able to get some pics before my hair reverts and starts to poof.

sorry to ramble on ladies, i feel like Rachel in Friends where she went "on and on, 16 pages front and back"!