Shrinkage - why I'm transitioning for at least 18 months

MummysGirl

So... my relaxed ends are heavy and they stretch out my new growth, right?

If I cut off the relaxed ends in one section, my new growth will shrink up even more than it does now...

I have seen so many BCs before the 1 year mark and most of these ladies look really cute in them. Although a lot of them rock their TWAs, some of them end up doing extensions, weaves, wigs, etc. These are not options for me... Once I started my hair journey in 2007, I decided to deal with my hair only...

Anyway....
I was just playing in my hair - I'm 37.5 weeks post, in 11 days, I'll be 9 months post. Here are pictures of my shrinkage (with relaxed ends). The 1st 2 pictures - new growth's slightly stretched to make it visible to the camera :)lachen:) and the last one is almost fully stretched.

18 month transition plan STAYS. Bring on the next 9 months :)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my new growth, seeing it makes me smile and I can't wait to have a lot of it to play with, enough to cut of my relaxed ends and start having fun :yep: but now is not the time... for me. I'm not trying to convince anyone, this is my way of reminding myself that I have to have a long transition - saying it out here makes it more real.... so thanks for reading :)

I hope my transition continues to go as it is right now..... Please please please darling hair, behave ALWAYS :grin:

Bettina

Keep up the good work! I know you can pull through successfully. :)

How are you managing the 2 textures? Do you straighten once in a while? sorry for all the questions, do you have a regimen? Your hair is beautiful!

MummysGirl

Keep up the good work! I know you can pull through successfully. :)

How are you managing the 2 textures? Do you straighten once in a while? sorry for all the questions, do you have a regimen? Your hair is beautiful!

Thank you so much:)

No, I don't straighten (I straightened only once in May for my sister's wedding).

A little after the 6 month mark, I decided to always be in one of the 3 styles in my siggy. 2 weeks in the extensionless braids, 2 weeks with my hair 'out' --> braidouts or twistouts.

Before that, my main style was pinning up my hair and using a headband/scarf.

Most info on my transition is here: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/

I don't mind the questions, ask away :yep:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
MummysGirl--Shrinkage is exactly why I will be a long term transitioner also. I'm texlaxed. Right now with airdrying my hair looks chin length. Straigthened I'm bw SL and APL.

MummysGirl

MummysGirl--Shrinkage is exactly why I will be a long term transitioner also. I'm texlaxed. Right now with airdrying my hair looks chin length. Straigthened I'm bw SL and APL.
Shrinkage is amazing!!!
Long term it is for us :yep:

mscocoface

Shrinkage is definitely a character builder and not for the faint of heart. LOL

Love your hair and your progress. Keep up the good work and please do a huge reveal when you finally post your natural hair with shrinkage and all.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i know how you feel. i didn't realize how much shrinkage i had until i air dried my hair, straightened on half, and took a pic. i was like :nono:

nikki2229

Keep up the good work. What products are you using for your twist/braid outs?
I am with you on the long term transition. I am 10 months post, aiming for 2 yrs. at least.
Stay motivated.

BlaqBella

I agree w/all the ladies!OMG MG your hair is sooooo BEAUTIFUL!Good job. BTW (i think you already know..so forgive me) i'm doing almost the same(if i can continue to not texlax again...evenif only for 5min.).Last time i did was early this year. I'm proud of myself cause its been about 4-6 months. Anyway keep up the good work.HHG!:grin:

Ltown

Greyland
You are doing great with your transitioning rocking the twist/braid out. I have been bc 3 times and did not like the short hair and exactly what you said use other methods to grow my hair out. Hang in there you are half way there! I'm 48 weeks and more to go so many others have done it you can too!

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Your hair looks really healthy, and you NG is just beautiful. I admire your persistence with the long transition, you're doing a great job!

msa

I'm natural and I know how you feel. Love my hair but shrinkage makes me want to "transition" to long hair with weaves because I'm so over having short/awkward length hair.

claudia05

It looks like we have the same hair type. I bced after 14 months (4-5inches) and have about 75% shrinkage. If you can handle it, wait...

bablou00

I went thru the same thing when I transitioned and I wanted to go longer then a year because braids, weaves, hair pieces, etc was not an option for me either. I wanted to wear my hair and only my hair. But I couldnt go much longer w the two textures. It was hard at first but once you see how beautiful and different your hair is you fall in love.
Your new growth is beautiful and all the styles your doing are great. Keep it up sister 9mos will come in no time

msa

Thank you :)

Yes, she is one of my inspirations to transition in braidouts/twistouts. I know her hair type is totally different from mine but she's still an inspiration :yep:

Oh good! I'm glad you've seen her.

She's an inspiration to me as well, and I'm not even transitioning. But I do need to stick to a plan for a couple of years like she did.

MummysGirl

Yes it definitely is!!! :lachen:
Thank you, I will definitely do a huge reveal when I'm all natural! I'll be sooo excited, that I'm sure of.
Shrinkage is definitely a character builder and not for the faint of heart. LOL

Love your hair and your progress. Keep up the good work and please do a huge reveal when you finally post your natural hair with shrinkage and all.

Shrinkage is amazing!!!
i know how you feel. i didn't realize how much shrinkage i had until i air dried my hair, straightened on half, and took a pic. i was like :nono:

I apply my leave in, detangle. Then I apply lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol to each section before flat twisting, cornrowing. Roller, flexirod or bantu knots on ends.

I'll be tracking your transition progress cos we're not too far apart.
Keep up the good work. What products are you using for your twist/braid outs?
I am with you on the long term transition. I am 10 months post, aiming for 2 yrs. at least.
Stay motivated.

Thank you so much :blush:
You should be very proud of yourself, KUTGW :yep:
I agree w/all the ladies!OMG MG your hair is sooooo BEAUTIFUL!Good job. BTW (i think you already know..so forgive me) i'm doing almost the same(if i can continue to not texlax again...evenif only for 5min.).Last time i did was early this year. I'm proud of myself cause its been about 4-6 months. Anyway keep up the good work.HHG!:grin:

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Beautiful texture!

I am very motivated by ladies who transitioned for 12, 16, 18, 22, 24 months and above. That's why I know I can do it too :)
HHG!!!!
You are doing great with your transitioning rocking the twist/braid out. I have been bc 3 times and did not like the short hair and exactly what you said use other methods to grow my hair out. Hang in there you are half way there! I'm 48 weeks and more to go so many others have done it you can too!

Thank you :) :)
Your hair looks really healthy, and you NG is just beautiful. I admire your persistence with the long transition, you're doing a great job!

I can't believe you think your hair is at a short/awkward length. I love your length!!!! But I understand you... HHG! I still love your hair!
I'm natural and I know how you feel. Love my hair but shrinkage makes me want to "transition" to long hair with weaves because I'm so over having short/awkward length hair.

Lol, I'm not scared of it. I'm embracing it but will have to let go of my relaxed ends when I have a lot more new growth.
Shrinkage is what gives you the beautiful texture. Don't be scurred of it.

MummysGirl

Really? Same hair type? Pictures please :grin:
I will wait at least 18 months, definitely.
It looks like we have the same hair type. I bced after 14 months (4-5inches) and have about 75% shrinkage. If you can handle it, wait...

I love your hair! I added you as a friend on fotki a while back.
Thank you, I really have to go on for at least the next 9 months because I have a BIG head, :lachen::lachen:
I went thru the same thing when I transitioned and I wanted to go longer then a year because braids, weaves, hair pieces, etc was not an option for me either. I wanted to wear my hair and only my hair. But I couldnt go much longer w the two textures. It was hard at first but once you see how beautiful and different your hair is you fall in love.
Your new growth is beautiful and all the styles your doing are great. Keep it up sister 9mos will come in no time

We can do it!!!!!
I totally understand you for wanting to transition longer so the shrinkage won't seem as much. That makes me want to do it longer too, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

Thank you :blush:
I like to play in it too
I love your ng. It makes me wanna play in it.