Single Strand Knots: maybe I should accept them

StopMakingSense

What do you do with short, barely EL hair in an attempt to prevent ssks. I have a few, but I cannot cornrow for the life of me. I also don't have enough to braid--it just comes undone. All I can do is wear my hair in a puff or part it and put it into mini puff ponys and tuck the extra hair under the pony tail holder.

I am stumped

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I commented on this a while back. My DD is natural and she was ALWAYS getting SSK no matter how much moisturizer I used.

I looked at her hair one day and thought mmmm, if I twirl her hair in sections as if I was doing a shirley temple while working with gravity (pulling down as I go)that might help, making sure there is more than enough moisturizer on the ends. Lo and behold it did, NO MORE SSK. I believe our hair is more prone to getting them because our hair likes to intermingle with the other strands. The strands get mixed up with each other and on them selves and this is how SSK come about.

She wears braids mainly and she does this everynight and I have not seen one in a long time.

Last edited:

Curlykale

Thanks so much everyone for your ideas... I understand better how and when these monsters form now... It must be a combination of all these things you are pointing out.

I definitely need to tweak my leave in (i.e. with aloe) and sealant checking the ph and using butter every night instead of just applying any oil. If it still doesn't work, I'll try vaseline and grease on top (this is a war), and if it's not enough yet, silicones on top.

As for stretching, I will really stretch my ends every night like I mean it.

MyJourney2009 says:I looked at her hair one day and thought mmmm, if I twirl her hair in sections as if I was doing a shirley temple while working against gravity (pulling down as I go)that might help, making sure there is more than enough moisturizer on the ends. Lo and behold it did, NO MORE SSK.

VERY interesting, I've never heard of this technique: easy and no rollers involved. I wrote a message on your profile to thank you / ask more about it but I'll report your answer here as it might help other people as well.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Thanks so much everyone for your ideas... I understand better how and when these monsters form now... It must be a combination of all these things you are pointing out.

I definitely need to tweak my leave in (i.e. with aloe) and sealant checking the ph and using butter every night instead of just applying any oil. If it still doesn't work, I'll try vaseline and grease on top (this is a war), and if it's not enough yet, silicones on top.

As for stretching, I will really stretch my ends every night like I mean it.

VERY interesting, I've never heard of this technique: easy and no rollers involved. I wrote a message on your profile to thank you / ask more about it but I'll report your answer here as it might help other people as well.

GOOD LUCK SIS!

I SAW THE OTHER THREAD ABOUT USING ACV +WATER FOR TANGLES... SO U'RE RIGHT IT MAY HELP W/ SSK'S AS WELL DUNNO

I USE SO MANY METHODS AT ONCE I DON'T KNOW WHICH ELIMINATED THEM/WORKED... BUT I WENT INTO KICK AZZZZZ OVERDRIVE IN MY WAR AGAINST TANGLES, SSK'S, SK'S ETC.
I'M OUT OF THAT ZONE (NOW) AND PRAYING TO NEVER GO BACK

Curlykale

GOOD LUCK SIS!

I SAW THE OTHER THREAD ABOUT USING ACV +WATER FOR TANGLES... SO U'RE RIGHT IT MAY HELP W/ SSK'S AS WELL DUNNO

I USE SO MANY METHODS AT ONCE I DON'T KNOW WHICH ELIMINATED THEM/WORKED... BUT I WENT INTO KICK AZZZZZ OVERDRIVE IN MY WAR AGAINST TANGLES, SSK'S, SK'S ETC.
I'M OUT OF THAT ZONE (NOW) AND PRAYING TO NEVER GO BACK

Thanks :) Terminator kick azzzz overdrive mode here as well :grin:
Something will work for sure, it has to

Curlykale

Answer from MyJourney2009:

When her hair is loose I start from about 3 inches then twirl to the ends. How large is the section, I would say not to thick or thin. The sections will differ on the part of her hair that is not as thick. When her hair is in braids, I take a couple of braids and start from 3 inches and work my way back down. I dont think you will need to keep them from unraveling with a heavy butter, the purpose is just to get it moisturized. You will however want to keep it in a stretched state. I just wrap a scrunchie around the ponytail going back towards the ends, so it is pretty much covered until the morning. I hope it works out for you. Even when I was natural and had less hair this worked out well for me.