Sinners in Church

syze6

What do you think of people who use the church people as an excuse not to attend church? I was having this conversation with a guy friend, who just seemed to stop going to church. When I asked why he seems to go anywhere he wants (work, parties and etc) but doesn't even make an effort to go to church. He told me that church is in the individual and that there are sinners in church who are trying to pursue forgiveness and get on the right track.

I say to him, if he is living so worldly and the church people are worldly, what keeps him from going then. He doesn't hesitate to hang out with his friends drinking and partying. He never misses work but when sunday comes, you hear crickets. I just wonder why this is the first reason people give for not going to church. I'm not judging anyone who doesn't go to church, but it comes off as more of an excuse than a reason.

Southernbella.

I, for one, don't believe you have to attend church to be a Christian. I believe, like your friend, that the church, and Christ, lives inside us. We ARE the church. Church today looks nothing like church in the Bible. Also, I believe that anything I need can be found in my Bible and between me and God during my personal prayer time.

I would never use other people as an excuse though. You're right, sinners are everywhere, and if you avoid church to avoid sinners, then you may as well stay in your house forever because sinners are everywhere! And since your friend enjoys partying and drinking and whatnot, he may feel convicted at church, and that may be his REAL reason for not going.

alexstin

syze6 said:
What do you think of people who use the church people as an excuse not to attend church? I was having this conversation with a guy friend, who just seemed to stop going to church. When I asked why he seems to go anywhere he wants (work, parties and etc) but doesn't even make an effort to go to church. He told me that church is in the individual and that there are sinners in church who are trying to pursue forgiveness and get on the right track.

I say to him, if he is living so worldly and the church people are worldly, what keeps him from going then. He doesn't hesitate to hang out with his friends drinking and partying. He never misses work but when sunday comes, you hear crickets. I just wonder why this is the first reason people give for not going to church. I'm not judging anyone who doesn't go to church, but it comes off as more of an excuse than a reason.

I do believe it's an excuse. My relationship with God will never be altered by what someone else chooses to do in their life. I may be hurt or disappointed but it ends there.

syze6

I too believe that it is about your personal relationship with God. I go to church because I enjoy fellowshipping and the uplifiting and sharing with each other. I also enjoy the many lessons that are bought out of the bible. No one is perfect and so many people think that church going people are supposed to be. If I were to stop going it would be because I want to stop. Not because of how someone lives their life inside and outside of church. I am responsible for My relationship with God.

I have heard this before and have often wondered if it was just an excuse used by many. I don't knock my friend but I just noticed that he seems to put effort into hanging out with his friends(non-church goers also), drinking and partying. If they call him, he's ready to go. When people ask him why he hasn't been to church, he blames it on working. He does work every Sunday but we have two services 8am and 11am. This is the same guy who will work until 12am and go straight to drinking with his buddies. When Sunday comes he says he needs his rest for work.

It would be better if he was honest with himself and just admit he doesn't want to go! We are still good friends but I just didn't understand his whole logic for not going. He used to go all the time, then he just started hanging more and more and church became null and void.

Last edited:
lauren450 said:
I, for one, don't believe you have to attend church to be a Christian. I believe, like your friend, that the church, and Christ, lives inside us. We ARE the church. Church today looks nothing like church in the Bible. Also, I believe that anything I need can be found in my Bible and between me and God during my personal prayer time.

I would never use other people as an excuse though. You're right, sinners are everywhere, and if you avoid church to avoid sinners, then you may as well stay in your house forever because sinners are everywhere! And since your friend enjoys partying and drinking and whatnot, he may feel convicted at church, and that may be his REAL reason for not going.

I totally agree. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
He's not only making up excuses, but he's already made a choice; he simply prefers the world over the church.

Everyone, no matter what their faith level is, needs to be in church. They are not going to grow 'responsibly' as a Christian otherwise. "Iron Sharpens Iron' and we need each other to stay strong in the Lord and under a responsible leadership.

Most persons who feel that they 'don't' need to go to church are in rebellion. Your friend loves sin and wants to be there where he is. His outside behavior expresses it. And it's mostly in arrogance.

This is especially with those who feel there is no need for church. That's total arrogance and deception. No one is their own self-appointed church. We all need someone in ministry to be accountable to and we need a spiritual covering.

NOW, There are legimate and fully good reasons why many Christians do not attend a church and they are NOT in rebellion. It's just situational and temporary, for they have every intention of being in fellowship when they are able.

As for your friend, your views are accurate on this.

Southernbella.

Shimmie said:
He's not only making up excuses, but he's already made a choice; he simply prefers the world over the church.

Everyone, no matter what their faith level is, needs to be in church. They are not going to grow 'responsibly' as a Christian otherwise. "Iron Sharpens Iron' and we need each other to stay strong in the Lord and under a responsible leadership.

Most persons who feel that they 'don't' need to go to church are in rebellion. Your friend loves sin and wants to be there where he is. His outside behavior expresses it. And it's mostly in arrogance.

This is especially with those who feel there is no need for church. That's total arrogance and deception. No one is their own self-appointed church. We all need someone in ministry to be accountable to and we need a spiritual covering.

NOW, There are legimate and fully good reasons why many Christians do not attend a church and they are NOT in rebellion. It's just situational and temporary, for they have every intention of being in fellowship when they are able.

As for your friend, your views are accurate on this.

You are a trip.:lol: Shimmie, where IN THE BIBLE, does it say that if you don't attend church on Sundays, that you are arrogant and in rebellion. Also, where does it mention being accountable to a ministry. Again, IN THE BIBLE, not in your opinion.

Thanks!

asubeauty

I can understand not wanting to attend church because of the ppl there. In my church, the members's attitudes can make you feel uncomfortable, and I don't think that I'm growing spiritually there.

However, I do enjoy going to other churches and fellowshipping there.

I do think that ppl who use the "church ppl" generalization are just making excuses because they don't feel comfortable in church.

kbragg

lauren450 said:
You are a trip.:lol: Shimmie, where IN THE BIBLE, does it say that if you don't attend church on Sundays, that you are arrogant and in rebellion. Also, where does it mention being accountable to a ministry. Again, IN THE BIBLE, not in your opinion.

Thanks!

Hebrews 10:25 talks about NOT forsaking assembling together...the current way in which most believers assemble together is church.

kbragg

Isn't It Strange

1. Isn't it strange how a 20 dollar bill
Seems like such a large amount when
You donate it to church, but
Such a small amount
When you go shopping?

2. Isn't it strange how 2 hours seem so long when
You're at church, and how
Short they seem when you're
Watching a good movie?

3. Isn't it strange that you can't
Find a word to say when
You're praying,
But you have no trouble
Thinking what to talk about
With a friend?

4. Isn't it strange how difficult
And boring it is to read
One chapter
Of the Bible, but how easy
It is to read 100 pages of
A popular novel or ZANE GREY book?

5. Isn't it strange how everyone
Wants front-row-tickets
To concerts or
Games, but they do whatever
Is possible to sit at the last
Row in Church?

6. Isn't it strange how we need to
Know about an event for Church 2-3
Weeks before the day so we can
Include it in our agenda, but we can
Adjust it for other events at
The last minute?

7. Isn't it strange how difficult it
Is to learn a fact about God to share it
With others, but how easy
It is to learn, understand,
Extend and repeat gossip?

8. Isn't it strange how we
Believe everything That magazines and newspapers
Say, but we question the words in the
Bible?

9. Isn't it strange how everyone
Wants a place in
Heaven, but they don't want
To believe, do, or say anything
To get there?

10. Isn't it strange how we send
Jokes in e-mails and they

Are forwarded right away,
But when we are going to send
Messages about God, we think
About it twice before we share
It with others?

IT'S STRANGE ISN'T IT?

Now that you've read this message,
Forward it to anybody that you consider a friend, family member or
foe(enemy).
If you don't do it, not only will you deprive
Yourself from being blessed, but you will also do that to others who may
need
God in their life.

Southernbella.

kbragg said:
Isn't It Strange

Such a small amount
When you go shopping?

Watching a good movie?

Find a word to say when
You're praying,
But you have no trouble
With a friend?

And boring it is to read
One chapter

Wants front-row-tickets
To concerts or
Row in Church?

The last minute?

Bible?

Wants a place in
To get there?

It with others?

IT'S STRANGE ISN'T IT?

foe(enemy).
need
God in their life.

Not trying to be funny, but that seems a little...weird. I've always thought that when I read those email forwards. That's another thread, though.:ohwell:

kbragg

lauren450 said:
Yes, that is one way to assemble, but not the ONLY way.

Of course not! But most sinners who come up with EXCUSES (excuse = well planned lie) not to assemble at church, certainly are not looking for other ways to assemble with other believers.:p They're lookin' for the party!:lol: (I'm not talking about Sain't who are sick and shut in, or between churches, I mean people out in the world! I know, I used to be one!:p)

Southernbella.

kbragg said:
Of course not! But most sinners who come up with EXCUSES (excuse = well planned lie) not to assemble at church, certainly are not looking for other ways to assemble with other believers.:p They're lookin' for the party!:lol: (I'm not talking about Sain't who are sick and shut in, or between churches, I mean people out in the world! I know, I used to be one!:p)

:lol: Me too.

TrustMeLove

I believe everyone needs to be held accountable by someone.

My pastor even answers to another pastor/bishop. That pastor/bishop answers to someone else. That someone else answers to someone else. Just likek my pastor has other new beginning pastors who he mentors and guides.

The POPE even has a PERSONAL PASTOR.

Now not going to church ok. Do you. But what Christian network do you have and when do you come together to fellowship?

We all ahve different gifts and are all different parts of the body. We edify each other. Now if you have CHOSEN to isolate yourself....I am sure you definitely are lacking majorly. I read my bible..I have a prayer life. I worship and praise at home...God speaks to me...but there are things he doesn't say directly to me..that use works through other people to make a thing known to me. We are blessed to have each other..with all of our different gifts...we are strong as 1..strong as one body. Why would anyone forsake that?

alexstin

I don't believe you have to go to church to be saved but because God gave "some as apostles and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the measur of knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ."

The Father gave us these gifts as a blessing and I receive them as such. I also believe that our vision can not make us an island to ourselves. We have a personal vision but then we also have a vision that's tied to the body of Christ.

Southernbella.

I hear yall about your beliefs, and I respect that. I still want to know if this is in the Bible anywhere. Not for arguments' sake, but because a lot of people believe these things to be true. I used to believe them too, but I have never found them in the Bible anywhere. I'm just curious, is all.

we also have a vision that's tied to the body of Christ.

I thought that vision was to go forth and make disciples. That, I believe, takes place outside of the conventional church walls.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
kbragg said:
Isn't It Strange

Such a small amount
When you go shopping?

Watching a good movie?

Find a word to say when
You're praying,
But you have no trouble
With a friend?

And boring it is to read
One chapter

Wants front-row-tickets
To concerts or
Row in Church?

The last minute?

Bible?

Wants a place in
To get there?

It with others?

IT'S STRANGE ISN'T IT?

These are excellent points to share Lady K. And I've been there with the $20. Now, it's the opposite, $20 is not enough to give to the Lord.

May I share this on giving? During one of our Bible Study classes, I wanted to bless my Pastors with a love offering and I just gave it out of love...beyond the $20. I remember Pastor calling out to me as I was leaving the church; she blessed me for thinking of her.

Well not that this really matters, but I was out shopping and came home with over a hundred dollars worth of shoes and clothing for me and my loved ones and spent only $20. :lol: Well Praise God! And these items weren't cheap apparel; they are all quality. They were on sale for 90% off and more. I just happened to be there at the right time.

It not about the material items as it is the blessing of obedience and loving my Pastors. One of the items I had purchased was a blessing to someone else who was in need.

Lady K, I just wanted to share with you about the $20...for it's been a proven blessing in my life. Thank you for posting this. You never know the value of a post, yours is. ;)

Last edited:

MrsHouston

I remember my minister using this example:)

kbragg said:
Isn't It Strange

Such a small amount
When you go shopping?

Watching a good movie?

Find a word to say when
You're praying,
But you have no trouble
With a friend?

And boring it is to read
One chapter

Wants front-row-tickets
To concerts or
Row in Church?

The last minute?

Bible?

Wants a place in
To get there?

It with others?

IT'S STRANGE ISN'T IT?

foe(enemy).
need
God in their life.

alexstin

lauren450 said:
I hear yall about your beliefs, and I respect that. I still want to know if this is in the Bible anywhere. Not for arguments' sake, but because a lot of people believe these things to be true. I used to believe them too, but I have never found them in the Bible anywhere. I'm just curious, is all.

I thought that vision was to go forth and make disciples. That, I believe, takes place outside of the conventional church walls.

That's the great commission, which is completely different from vision.

The 5 fold helps to develop the leader within so you can understand your reason for being. We're out to create leaders not followers. Once your gift is discovered every believer should be deployed to give that gift to the world.

Shimmie

Staff member
alexstin said:

The 5 fold helps to develop the leader within so you can understand your reason for being. We're out to create leaders not followers. Once your gift is discovered every believer should be deployed to give that gift to the world.

With Jesus at the 'Helm.' ;)

Mocha5

Church in the Bible looked very much like it does today. In Paul's letters to the Church of Corinth, he calls them wordly because they were quarreling and what not. The same stuff that goes on in many of our churches. The same reason why so many people leave the church.

For the longest, I tried to trick myself into believing that I didn't have to go to church to be a Christian and I guess at the end of the day, that fact still remains true. But the question for me was do I want to be the best Christian I can be? Do I want to sit at home and be lukewarm, close to cold, or do I want to be on fire for Him? And the fire comes from, corporate praise and worship, hearing and digesting the word from an annointed man or woman of God, and the tithing of your money, talent, time, and gifts. You may be able to do a couple of these from home but not all. Now are there scriptures to back this up? I'm sure there are but this is really about my journey. Just like the hair growth..I come to this board because there are knowledgeable women here who can help me on my journey to long, healthy hair. I go to church because there are knowledgeable, spirit-filled people who can help me in all areas of my walk with Him. ;)

Southernbella.

alexstin said:

Again, where does it say in the Bible that this has to take place in a church on Sunday morning?

Acts 7:48, "Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

Acts 17:24, "God...dwelleth not in temples made with hands

Matthew 18:20, For where two or three are gathered together in my Name, there am I in the midst of them

John 14:16-17, And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

1 Corinthians 3:9, For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

Look at this board. This is church! We are called to exhort one another, and we do that everday here.

StrawberryQueen

While what Kbragg posted wasn't bad, I deplore religious forwards. How are you gonna send a "message of God" and then include at the end "send this and a miracle will happen in 5 mins," if you dont' send this, you don't love Jesus," "send this and Jesus will bring you the love of your life."

I just have to delete them all because they infuriating and sound a lot like blending Jesus with magic. Send an email and Jesus will automatically rain down miracles?

Shimmie

Staff member
alexstin said:
That goes without saying.;)

My son-in-law is in the Navy. When I read your post the word 'deployed' make me think of every prayer I've sent him out with...ending "With Jesus at the Helm."

God never fails to protect his sea tours and they've seen dangerous waters. Yet the prayers, 'Jesus at the Helm' is what he always takes with him and what my daugther and my 'babies' always hold on to. "On Daddie's ship, Jesus is at the Helm.''

Southernbella.

StrawberryQueen said:
While what Kbragg posted wasn't bad, I deplore religious forwards. How are you gonna send a "message of God" and then include at the end "send this and a miracle will happen in 5 mins," if you dont' send this, you don't love Jesus," "send this and Jesus will bring you the love of your life."

I just have to delete them all because they infuriating and sound a lot like blending Jesus with magic. Send an email and Jesus will automatically rain down miracles?

Yes! :lol: Everybody does it though. I think most of the time, people don't even know it's down there. THe worst are the ones that say you'll be cursed to the end of your days. :( :lol:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Interesting topic and interesting read. I too do not attend church. I haven't attended church in over a year. However, I do fellowship with a few of my classmates, my sister, and my BF. We also watch TBN, read the bible together, and listen to gospel/Christian Rock music.

When I was little, my mother would always scold me about not going to church. If we didn't go to church, we couldn't go outside and play or do anything fun. :( But what was really a trip was my father never had to go. :ohwell: All through life it always felt like I was pressured/forced to go to church. Even now my mother still gets on me about it. By not attending church it hasn't made me weaker or against God in anyway. I still love Him and Christ always and Forever. :angel: