Sisterlocks - An Alternative Natural Hair Style [Beware: LOTS of pics]

thefineprint

I thought I'd take the time out to introduce sisterlocks! They aren't discussed on the board very much and I wanted to put a thread in the archives in case someone ever searches for them.

Sisterlocks are a method of locking hair which involves installation by a certified sisterlocks consultant. Being certified means the consultant has paid for the proper training in this method. Sisterlocks can be pricy so you must think of them as an investment. They are a permentant hairstyle - your hair will be locked. Once you pay the initial upfront fee for the installation you may choose to retighten your hair at home for free or return every 4-6 weeks to a consultant for maintenance. The sisterlock patterns (either a 4pt, 3pt or 2pt rotation) are actually all over the internet. Go to youtube and you can find a number of vidoes that teach you how to retighten your sisterlocks for free. I retighten my own sisterlocks and they continue to flourish.

Sisterlocks are different from other small locks because of 1) the precision of the parts which makes styling extremely verstatile and even similar to relaxed hair and 2) once the pattern is installed it stays (unless you have a loose curl pattern - you may experience unraveling or slippage for the first few months).

Sisterlocks are the only locks that can be installed on relaxed hair. You will only need 1/4 inches of natural hair to start. No big chopping required. Many women slowly cut off the relaxed ends little by little because they will never lock. The only purpose of keeping them is to maintain your length as the natural hair grows in.

I paid around $500 for my sisterlocks. You may bulk at the price but try to put it into perspective...

a) it is a permanent hairstyle. I will never pay that price again
b) if you get your hair braided or twisted and buy hair more than 2-3 times per year then you may be paying the same price for a temporary hairstyle
c) think of it like buying a car...or a couch. You may pay alot upfront but the payoff will lasts many years to a lifetime
d) how much do you spend weekly, monthly, yearly at a salon?

I choose to retighten my own locks with a nappylocks tool which is a small latch hook for retightening locks. It's extremely easy and usually takes me 2 evenings every 2 months. I no longer spend hundreds of $$ on hair products because all my locks take are diluted shampoo, conditioner and sometimes leave-in conditioner. Diluted products are important for locks as you no longer need full strengh and it makes the product stretch too. Some women with locks don't dilute their products or wash often enough and they experience buildup, flakes or dullness. A baking soda and/or apple cider vinegar rinse will clear that right up. For myself, I've never experienced the above but I wash my locks weekly and cover them at night.

Hope that helps a little! More info at www.sisterlocks.com

ETA: MORE PICS BELOW IN 2ND POST!

Last edited:

sheba1

They're soooo pretty! I've seen many of these pics as I was researching sisterlocks for myself, at one time. Aren't they just gorgeous!!!

I decided not to, though, because the closest person near me that I trusted to do it was 3 hours away and I wasn't willing to commit to the trip for touchups for the first year. In a way, I'm glad it didn't work out, at the time. It was shortly after that I found lhcf and decided to explore my loose hair.

I haven't given up on sisterlocks, though! It is totally possible I will loc one day. They are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :yep:

runwaydream

Ooh!!! They're really pretty. I was under the impression tho that sister locks can be taken out at any time unlike dreads =/ guess not. But very nice alternative to dreads. It looks way more feminine

thefineprint

They're soooo pretty! I've seen many of these pics as I was researching sisterlocks for myself, at one time. Aren't they just gorgeous!!!

I decided not to, though, because the closest person near me that I trusted to do it was 3 hours away and I wasn't willing to commit to the trip for touchups for the first year. In a way, I'm glad it didn't work out, at the time. It was shortly after that I found lhcf and decided to explore my loose hair.

I haven't given up on sisterlocks, though! It is totally possible I will loc one day. They are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :yep:

I totally understand! You'll find more and more women are getting them installed and not returning to the consultant except for a check up. For me, the cost of touch ups by the consultant wasn't worth it so I started doing my own. Here is a recent pic of mine...they are still toddlers LOL

I'd just retightened them that morning...I hate retightenings because the scalp shows for about a week unless I wash them right after.

Ooh!!! They're really pretty. I was under the impression tho that sister locks can be taken out at any time unlike dreads =/ guess not. But very nice alternative to dreads. It looks way more feminine

They can be removed but the process can take weeks to months depending on how often you spend doing it.

Last edited:

Kay.Dee

this would look cute on me...:grin:

(lots of lovely styles. Thanks for posting):yep:
I like her length too

I eventually want to loc (I think) and was considering sister locs. But I ran across the fotki of someone who had sisterlocs and took them out because

A. The time it took for retightening, the number of sisterlocs vs more traditonal loc sizes makes a huge difference.
B. She eventually wanted to begin retightening on her own but couldn't stand the thought of spending hours doing it. She said it already took hours with her stylist, but with her beginner level skills it would probably take her even longer

so that kind of scared me. Thefineprint, your sisterlocs are gorgeus, how long does it take you to retighten?

thefineprint

I like her length too

I eventually want to loc (I think) and was considering sister locs. But I ran across the fotki of someone who had sisterlocs and took them out because

A. The time it took for retightening, the number of sisterlocs vs more traditonal loc sizes makes a huge difference.
B. She eventually wanted to begin retightening on her own but couldn't stand the thought of spending hours doing it. She said it already took hours with her stylist, but with her beginner level skills it would probably take her even longer

so that kind of scared me. Thefineprint, your sisterlocs are gorgeus, how long does it take you to retighten?

Thanks! I spend about 2 nights in front of the TV every 2 months to retighten. I actually really enjoy it. Each night I spend about 3 hours so 6 hours total. It doesn't seem so bad to me but maybe she had too many locks? 400 is standard but some people get it into their heads that they need 600...LOL. When I went to a consultant she could retighten my whole head in 2 hours.

yuriko

All these pics are just gorgeous, I sat next a lady with sister locs on the subway last week and was think about getting them when I want a change. Maybe in the distant future, but I can't help but admire them

Junebug D

This is the look I love the most, which looks a lot like mini-twists
Is that crimsondewdrop? She looks so familiar to me from my NP days...

Anyway, sisterlocs are gorgeous! I will be locking sooner rather than later and sisterlocs are definitely a method I would consider (since I suffer from baggy roots syndrome, lol), but I am worried about the retwisting/tightening.

Soliel185

Do your sisterlocks get very heavy when they're wet? How long do they take to dry?

I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between locs and sisterlocks though. Aren't sisterlocks just really small locs? Or is the actual technique somewhat different?

I think they're very regal looking. :yep:

AtlantaJJ

ITA, I plan to so this when I get into my 60's or around 55 or so...yep!! Which is not that long from now :lol:

Last edited:

Transformer

I've pondered more than once about getting them installed. I found a great stylist that said it would take approximately 30 hours to install. 2 days @12 hours plus an additional day at 6 hours.

I'm too antsy to sit for that long...I would need knock out juice!

AtlantaJJ

I've pondered more than once about getting them installed. I found a great stylist that said it would take approximately 30 hours to install. 2 days @12 hours plus an additional day at 6 hours.

But just think, you would never have to sit like that again...ever!!

And you could workout, color, run around in the rain when ever you wanted to no worries! :lol:

DragonPearl

I too considered them at the beginning of my natural hair journey. They are so beautiful and so versatile. But the time and money commitment ($300 to $400 to have them put on, plus having to pay for regular re-tighting maintenance) involved made me change my mind. Plus I was told that I had to not wash my hair for 1 month after they were in so that my hair would loc... No way.

ToyToy

These are so beautiful!!!!!! I have been toying with the idea of getting sisterlocks for some time now. I'm just scared, because it seems so final, and I love a nice 'fro.