Sisterlocks - An Alternative Natural Hair Style [Beware: LOTS of pics]

thefineprint

I loooove locs, but I've never liked sisterlocks. I definately plan to loc my hair in the next 10 years after I'm done playing with everything else. Locs will be the style I die in.

Yes, traditional locs are sooooo beautiful too. I saw a set today at the grocery store that I was literally drooling over!

thefineprint

These pics are great. Sisterlocks are beautiful but...they're way too permanent for me. And, everyone I've seen in person who has them has no edges at their temples/sides. It seems like the locs in those areas eventually get too heavy for the hair in that area...I like my edges too much to be playing around like that.

Really? That's crazy. I really feel that healthy hair habits follow you no matter the style. This makes me wonder if these women you know with thin edges and locs are the same women who had burned up ends when relaxed and massively tangled hair as natural? I'm not making assumptions, but just wondering.

brucebettye

I love sister locks. I saw four women with sister locks in persons with all different lengths one day when I was in Safeway. I had to stop and tell them how beautiful their hair was. One of the ladies hair was to her waist!!!!! Thanks for the post. Maybe one day I will do them.

Hotmommak

These are beautiful! I know a lady who i think has sisterlocks, and her hair is ALWAYS on point, and she does lots of different styles with her hair!

LovinLocks

this would look cute on me...:grin:

(lots of lovely styles. Thanks for posting):yep:

This woman is too cute; phyne as wine wid her lockin' self.

LovinLocks

I recall once going to Detroit to get SL. Was an all day ordeal, got up and started while dark, didn't return till 'bout midnight.

The next week I went to atl and took 'em out :wallbash::angry2:

that_1_grrrl

I am curious as to why many posters feel it is a style to do when you're older... Just wondering...

Lol, I suck at commitment, so the idea of sitting for 12+ hours for something I might get tired of two weeks later is not flying. I love sisterlocs, but I think I will wait until I am older and hopefully a bit more committed to decisions I make.

Plus, I figure when I am older, I will be tired of dealing with loose hair, and my hair will be long enough that I will have long locs without the wait.

LovinLocks

Read below it tells the story. I am a little upset:

Congrats once again!! I am not sure she did a great job on the back LL, just based on how random they look and not so smooth and tight in the pictures...but if you like em, I love em kiddo....I don't think she gave you 400...do you? Maybe she got tired with all that length...headquarters will look at those pics and also call you ...at least they did Pooh...((HUGS))
d

--- On Sat, 7/25/09, lovin locks <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Hi d
To: d
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 11:36 PM

How are you? And the fam?

It's been accomplished!

http://public.fotki.com/lovinlocks/her-lock-story/lock-lock-lock-it-up/

tocktick

I love sisterlocks. Thanks for making this thread and sharing the photos. I don't think $500 is too much. I would seriously think about getting these in the future. Right now I know that I'm too fickle and would need the option to comb these out. These don't look like they could be unlike bigger locs.

Vinyl

I have them in and I'm 18... I've never really been the type to like styling, though. Mostly because I'm tenderheaded and my scalp always hurt too much to style. :laugh: So for me it was either relax or locks. I chose locks because I didn't want my hair to fall out if I messed up in caring for it.

LovinLocks

My girl said mine were done incorrectly. I am upset. Will someone please follow the link (that knows about Sisterlocks) and talk to me? I am on pins and needles up in here.

Platinum

Great thread! I think they're beautiful. I think I want to try those in the future. I'm transitioning now and after almost 30 years of dealing with chemically processed hair, I want to embrace my natural hair. If I can't handle my natural hair loose, then I'll consider locking it. I don't plan to relax again.

Subscribing...:yep:

Platinum

My girl said mine were done incorrectly. I am upset. Will someone please follow the link (that knows about Sisterlocks) and talk to me? I am on pins and needles up in here.

Judging by your pics, I think your SL are beautiful. I don't see anything wrong with them (I'm not an expert though).

remilaku

Ooh!!! They're really pretty. I was under the impression tho that sister locks can be taken out at any time unlike dreads =/ guess not. But very nice alternative to dreads. It looks way more feminine

You can take out any kind of dreadlocks that you have. I have bradelocz. I can take them out at anytime. I choose not too. I love my dreadlocks and it is the best style I have ever had! Thank God for my locs. I would be crazy with out them. They are the truest wash and go style!

Foufie

@fineprint - i have a consult on Jan 29. I am sooo excited. How long was your hair when you first got them? Do you have a fotki?

thefineprint

@fineprint - i have a consult on Jan 29. I am sooo excited. How long was your hair when you first got them? Do you have a fotki?

Sorry - I don't get on here very often anymore...I used to have a fotki but stopped updating it after my locks turned 2 years old. sorry! oh, my had been natural for about 2-3 years before locking but she had to trim off a lot after the installation...i'm thinking it was about 6 inches in the back when stretched and maybe -5 in the front stretched. i really can't remember anymore