SL lady need some inspirational from APL and Beyond!

Blue_Berry

Come in APL Ladies, I am a little pass SL in I am currently shooting for Apl. What has helped some of you ladies reach APL or beyond that length and can some of y'all list your techniques you use?

wannabelong

I started above ear length and made it to APL in roughly 2 years. What helped me was deep conditioning at least 1x per week, limiting direct heat, rollersetting, keeping my moisture and protein balance in check and sleeping with a satin bonnet/scarf every night. I hope this helps.

Black Hoya Chick

bun girl. i bunned from barely shoulder to past APL in about 7 months. Then I enjoyed for a while. Now I am gonna bun from BSL to WL

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I made APL from SL in about 1year....yeah, I'm a slow grower.:wallbash:

But if I can do it, so can you!!:yep:

Barbie83

If you don't do anything else,

1) keep those ends up off your shoulders!

2) keep direct heat to a MINIMUM!! :yep:

chasturner84

Although I'm not officially APL (or, not in my eyes!!) I'd say that the best things you can do at SL are protective styling and limiting heat usage. Keep your ends in good shape and you'll be there in no time. I'm a slow grower and 5'7 1/2" so getting to my idea of APL has been a long journey that I have been on since April 2009. I've heard that the SL-APL hump is the biggest hurdle to cross, but stay persistent....oh, and stop checking for hair growth everyday! Constant length checks will drive you MAD!

BlackGeisha

1. Wear your hair up
2. Deep Condition
3. Low Manipulation (finger comb)
4. Protein Moisture Balance
5. Limited Heat
6. Moisture, Moisture, MOISTURE!

vestaluv1

Hi there
My regimen has changed a bit since I started my HHJ, but I have always kept doing the following:

1.Moisturing and sealing
2.Protective styling (using wigs)
3.Sleeping with a satin bonnet or scarf
4.Low manipulation: putting my hair in braids and finger combing
5.Generally being gentle with my hair

THATS IT!

Check my fotki and this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=477612&highlight=
for my past/current regimens

I started at barely SL and reached APL in roughly 6/7 months.
I didn't worry about having WL hair straight away and just gave myself small goals to reach within certain time frames.

Taking pictures of my progress also helped to motivate me.

It really is possible for you to reach your hair goals with a bit of determination and dedication.
Before I joined this forum, I had never had hair past SL and I'm now MBL.

Don't give up, even if you come across setbacks. It's all part of the learning process.

HHG!

nymane

Keep your hair off your shoulders
DC weekly (balance with occasional protein treatments)
On wash day detangle gently...take your time and use your fingers too
Air dry or Use indirect heat
Moisturize and Seal (focusing on your ends)
Dust in between trims

beans4reezy

Hi there
My regimen has changed a bit since I started my HHJ, but I have always kept doing the following:

1.Moisturing and sealing
2.Protective styling (using wigs)
3.Sleeping with a satin bonnet or scarf
4.Low manipulation: putting my hair in braids and finger combing
5.Generally being gentle with my hair

THATS IT!

Check my fotki and this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=477612&highlight=
for my past/current regimens

I started at barely SL and reached APL in roughly 6/7 months.
I didn't worry about having WL hair straight away and just gave myself small goals to reach within certain time frames.

Taking pictures of my progress also helped to motivate me.

It really is possible for you to reach your hair goals with a bit of determination and dedication.
Before I joined this forum, I had never had hair past SL and I'm now MBL.

Don't give up, even if you come across setbacks. It's all part of the learning process.

HHG!

OMG! VESTA! It's been a while since I have seen you post- your hair looks fantastic! The last time I heard from you - you were BSL, now look at you now!!! You say MBL...you sure a few strands aren't touching waist length.

Thanks for contributing to this thread! :yep:

silkii_locks

Hey there, I started out between shoulder and armpit. And I had been stuck at that length for years. My hair was super dry and brittle and would constantly break, which meant I had to constantly cut it. Therefore repeating the vicious cycle.

So what helpled me was keeping my moisture and protein balance in check, I did this by pre-pooing and deep conditioning every single week. If I pre-poo'd with a protein condish I would deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner and vice versa. If I pre-poo'd with a moisturing conditioner I would deep condition with a protein conditioner.

Then I would roller set and wrap my hair with a silk scarf every night. I repeated this process every single week and had reached APL in less than a year. Now I'm blunt cut BSL.

Don't give up, it will happen. :yep:

Janet'

Hi!!!

I took advantage of low-manipulation styles (rollersets and buns) and since I'm natural- Wash and Go's have become my new best friend...which is essentially a low-manipulation style as well. I totally agree with Barbie...keep those ends off your shoulders...Happy Hair Growing!

hillytmj

Hi! I was NL before LHCF and started the LHCF journey at APL. I think eliminating direct heat and wearing a weave helped me get APL. I don't think the weave is necessary, but keeping your hair pinned up off your shoulders, moisturizing/sealing ends and no direct heat will do the trick.

southerncitygirl

i had to cut back to apl recently :( i waited too long btw dustings every 6 month is a must for me and I waited 9, i was almost an inch below bsl (its only took me 9months to get here from apl and i have a long torso and i'm pretty tall, 5'11)

here's my recommendations:
satin bonnets or scarves at night are a must
protective style (I do wigs, twist outs and braidouts)
dust or trim at least every 6 months if natural more if relaxed and/or you use heat often
moisturize or moisturize/seal as needed
low manipulation (i only comb and wash day at least once a week)
keep your reggie simple
don't jump on every product or technique bandwagon, if you find things that work stick with them
use low sulfate or sulfate free poos

I think i was btw sl and apl when i joined the board

my-everything

It took me 6 months to reach apl from sl! My growth rate is just below average so to retain every inch, i made sure to keep my hair moisturized and protected at least 50% of the time, hth.