***Official Thread for Combating anemia for slow growers Support/ Challenge***

BlkOnyx488

Hey there Ladies
I have compiled a list of the women who responded and seem interested in doing a support challenge.

If your name is on the list and you don't want it to be just let me know.
If I excluded your name and you want to be added
just put a **Thanks* in the this post so I can add you easily.

I don't want to step on the toes of the other Vitamin Challenge,
This Challenge is specifically focused on combating the effects of Anemia on our hair. And tracking to see if there is a difference in our growth rate and retention.

Of course anyone is free to join, however, this support/challenge will be focused on us ladies who have been diagnosed with anemia and are chronic slow growers.:rolleyes::grin:

When you find information, or items that are really working for you, like Seaweed, Chorella, or of course certain vitamins, please share with the group.

Ok the rules,
This is a 3 Month Support/ Challenge. Start date Jan 11 -Apr 11th
With Check ins on every other Monday

1/25
2/8
2/22
3/8
3/22
4/5
4/12

1. take your suppliments daily
2. post a beginning length photo.
3. Post what you are taking
4. If you are apart of ESQ.2b's Vitamin Challenge you will already be posting updates weekly. If you are not I was thinking we could do updates every two weeks

These are the names of the women who expressed an interest in doing this challenge. This is not an Official you are in the challenge list:drunk:

As stated above the official start date will be Monday 1/11!

JFK
beans4reezy
stellagirl76
yardyspice
supermodelsonya
TyHill21
starrz329
chasturner84
JD2'd
Mscocoface
scarcity21
AnotherLevel
EtherealEnigma

HHG Ladies!

Last edited:

AnotherLevel

I am interested in this challenge (it would be my first!!). However, I am not sure how to begin. Could someone post some items they will be using so I can have an idea of what to use?

BlkOnyx488

we may be in a challenge all by ourselves:yep:

I will be using the prenatal Vitamins my Dr. prescribed, I know you can get OTC Prenatal Vitamins as well.
A few ladies said they were taking Iron Pills.

and some even mention seaweed, and Chorella.

I also add chorella powder to my protein shakes
HHG

I am interested in this challenge (it would be my first!!). However, I am not sure how to begin. Could someone post some items they will be using so I can have an idea of what to use?

MissLawyerLady

Thanks for starting the thread! I took my vitamins today- 2 prenatals, 1 Ferrasorb Iron (from my naturopathic doctor), biotin, MSM, flaxseed oil.

My anemia has gotten way out of hand and that's my fault. I also need more energy so I have to stay motivated to take these vits and I think this challenge will help me...it certainly can't hurt.

I also need to start eating breakfast- I'm rarely hungry in the morning, but I'm going to use this challenge to accomplish that also.

Good luck to all!

BlkOnyx488

How late do you eat the night before?
If you stop eating by 7:30pm you will find that you are hungry in the am.
I personally TRY to stop eating by 5:30 pm I notice i lose more weight when I stop eating at that time:drunk:

Thanks for starting the thread! I took my vitamins today- 2 prenatals, 1 Ferrasorb Iron (from my naturopathic doctor), biotin, MSM, flaxseed oil.

My anemia has gotten way out of hand and that's my fault. I also need more energy so I have to stay motivated to take these vits and I think this challenge will help me...it certainly can't hurt.

I also need to start eating breakfast- I'm rarely hungry in the morning, but I'm going to use this challenge to accomplish that also.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

MissLawyerLady

How late do you eat the night before?
If you stop eating by 7:30pm you will find that you are hungry in the am.
I personally TRY to stop eating by 5:30 pm I notice i lose more weight when I stop eating at that time:drunk:

I try to eat dinner before 8:00pm. I think my thing is, I just really don't like breakfast food. I don't eat eggs, sausage, ham, oatmeal, orange juice, and the list goes on! I will do cereal and soy milk, yogurt, pastry, sometimes Malt-o-Meal (some days its okay and other days it makes me gag). I usually have to force breakfast and sometimes dinner too.

I've been underweight pretty much all my life- except for this year I'm at my ideal weight. Since I was about 4 yrs. old food has kinda been an after-thought. I can get distracted easily and forget to eat! Crazy! I know! My resolution is to eat at least 3 healthy, square meals each day- including breakfast, so I can get my vitamins taken. Wish me luck!!!!

BlkOnyx488

Ok here is my official start pic
I have been stuck at collar bone length for over 6 month
I am praying I can see some changes in the next 3 months.

I will be taking prenatal vitamins
and adding Chorella powder to my protein shakes

Attachments

• DCAM0170.jpg
    DCAM0170.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 5

Sondice

Hi, right now I'm taking MSM, biotin, B complex, Omega 369, and a multi with extra iron, This combo has helped out my hair sooooo much

R4L

^^^^ try the Trader Joe's hair skin and nails. it is not too big, and it a balanced multi.

chasturner84

woot! woot! Here we go!:clap:

I have been taking an iron fortified multi vitamin with a GNC Ultra Nourish Hair every morning with food. The UNH vitamins are so big and the serving size is 2. :ohwell: I'm only taking one for now but will move up to 2 next month.
At my last Dr's appt, my iron was great so I'm going to try to keep up with my vitamins...for once:rolleyes:

I hope I see some growth in the front soon and would love to be able to add 2-3 inches to my ponytail this year. Is that too much to ask for? :pray:

Attachments

• LHCF.JPG
    LHCF.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Copy of SDC13772.jpg
    Copy of SDC13772.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

chasturner84

I try to eat dinner before 8:00pm. I think my thing is, I just really don't like breakfast food. I don't eat eggs, sausage, ham, oatmeal, orange juice, and the list goes on! I will do cereal and soy milk, yogurt, pastry, sometimes Malt-o-Meal (some days its okay and other days it makes me gag). I usually have to force breakfast and sometimes dinner too.

I've been underweight pretty much all my life- except for this year I'm at my ideal weight. Since I was about 4 yrs. old food has kinda been an after-thought. I can get distracted easily and forget to eat! Crazy! I know! My resolution is to eat at least 3 healthy, square meals each day- including breakfast, so I can get my vitamins taken. Wish me luck!!!!

I have a friend who does the same thing! :look: I have to have SOMETHING to snack on at all times. I'm surprised that I'm not overweight by now.
Like you, I'm not big on breakfast but usually force myself to eat something when I get up or I will :thud:before lunch.

BlkOnyx488

Eating 6 to 9 small meals per day is a good way to stay thin weird right??
I have a friend who does the same thing! :look: I have to have SOMETHING to snack on at all times. I'm surprised that I'm not overweight by now.
Like you, I'm not big on breakfast but usually force myself to eat something when I get up or I will :thud:before lunch.

HauteHippie

This is a really great idea. Sometimes, I get frustrated with my hair b/c I have anemia. In late 2008, my doctor suggested that I not take iron pills anymore while we added something else, but continue to take my multi-vitamins just to see how I would do. I never checked back with her and I only had like 4-5 inches of growth for about 14 months and less in the front and crown (I should also add that last fall/winter was no joke, and I was super-stressed then). It was really frustrating once I realized what I had done. I'd completely neglected my health!
Now that I've re-added slowfe (easy on the stomach/works well for me) and I've introduced omega-3 vitamins, spirulina/chlorela, and garlic into my hair reggie I'm doing a lot better. I also eat at least one strip of Nori seaweed a day; it's supposed to be great for anemic people and I think it makes my hair shiny. I started doing this is December and my hair has grown so much that I sometimes wonder if I'm exaggerating. I added GNC hair, skin, and nails vitamin; msm; and vitamin c (for absorption) last November. I also drink kombucha instead of coffee when I need a boost and I do it as soon as I wake up, just in case. Iron doesn't like caffeine. I seem to be getting about 1/2-3/4 of growth a month depending on the the section of my head.
I break my vitamins up during the day. My multi-vitamin, hair vitamins, MSM, and vitamin C in the morning. Iron after breakfast. My supplements at night. I made a list of all of my vitamins and wrote down what was in them. Next to that, I wrote down how much (I had to convert IUs and MCGs to MG) just in case I had problems with anything. Then I could take them to my doctor. Anyway, hth anyone and hhg!

Also, my pic is from Dec 23rd. I'm currently wearing a new full-sew in and won't take it out until March.

Attachments

• length check.jpg
    length check.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

How's everyone doing?
i know it has not been that long but have you noticed any changes/ improvements so far?

I have notice that I seem to have more energy and my mid-late afternoon crashes have disappear.

It's hard to tell if my hair has had any changes b/c it's braided up.

Let us know what's going on with you

Sondice

Checking in: Ive stepped up the vitamin game, taking them every night b4 I go 2 bed, lol its only been a couple weeks since Ive gotten back on track, so we'll see what happens. I think I'll be ok though, just gotta stay persistent

BlkOnyx488

I have a routine I try to maintain where I take my Vits right before breakfast, I think it's becoming a habit.:grin:
Checking in: Ive stepped up the vitamin game, taking them every night b4 I go 2 bed, lol its only been a couple weeks since Ive gotten back on track, so we'll see what happens. I think I'll be ok though, just gotta stay persistent

Sondice

Me 2, I like to take mine b4 I go 2 bed, lol idk for me its easier 2 remember, and I dont eat breakfast most of the time, bad i know :(

Sondice

ok so I have an update, tues is my wash day so I pre poo'ed, shampooed, dc'ed and applyed leave in. When I took my hair down (lol its always in a bun now, I noticed that I had alot of new growth. Im 5 weeks post. Like there was so much, so thick and curly, so I decided to get out the measuring tape and see how much my hair grew. To my surprise, I gained an inch!!!!! At first I couldnt beleive it and thought that maybe I was just underprocessed in that particular section, so I measured the crown, the sides, and the nape, all 1 in. The only part that isnt is the front of my hair, near the hairline, but its all good, Im sooo happy :) lol ok thats my update

Vintageglam

Has anyone tried any of the following for their Anaemia:

Natural
Beef Liver (organic)
Chicken Liver (organic)
Prune Juice
Spinach
Nuts
Mussels
Carao
Floradix
Blackstrap molasses

Supplemenatal
Ferrasorb
Slow Fe

I am leaning towards more natural means of upping my Iron intake to avoid the dreaded constipation....

My plan was to incorporate a daily Cocktail of 1/2 cup of Prune Juice and 2 cap fulls of Flaradix which potentialy could provide me with 1/2 my daily Iron intake but I am not sure if this is sound practice from a medical point of view...

Last edited:

Gibsongal

I tried Floradix and it had my heart beating out of control!!!!! Don't know what caused it. Maybe it was just too much for my body. (I'm kinda small) It did get good reviews on Vitacost, however which is why I decided to purchase it.

I had to buy MegaFoods bloodbuilders and these seem to be working for me so far. No constipation or upset stomach though I've only been taking them for about a week and a half. They are expensive, but cheaper on Vitacost (about 15.00) than Whole Foods.

Blackbird77

Please add me. I've been diagnosed with anemia and need to get my eating/supplement regimen up to par. I'm adding lots of water to my diet, too.

BlkOnyx488

Hey ladies
Official update day!

My update
I just started taking 7500 mcg Biotin yesterday. There are 50 pills in the bottle so that will take me to April 10th. Yeah I am tracking this thing hardcore LOL

Still taking Vitamin D and Prenatals daily
I added the Veggie Vitamins I give to my Children
I figured what the heck might help!

I have noticed I don't get sleepy around 3pm like before.

So how's everyone else doing?
Notice any positve changes?

AstroQueen77

I am telling you ladies, this is the only iron supplement that you will need. I have tried everything, Floridix, prescribed pills NOTHING worked. This supplement contains Iron bisglycinate, which has a much easier time absorbing into the blood stream. It will never constipate you!I had my levels checked, and my doctor was like "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!".

http://www.wellnessresources.com/supplements/blood_builder.php

Last edited:

chasturner84

Hope all is well with everyone!

UPDATE:
I'm still taking my Rx iron pills and 1 UltraNourish Hair supplement (serving size is 2 but I wanted to start out slow in case of breakouts). I've noticed that I've gained about 1 inch of ng in some areas and about 1/2 inch in others. This is a huge improvement from the 1/4 that I usually get each month. Starting in March, I will be taking 2 UNH vitamins with my iron and I hope that I get some good growth from it!