so apparently yall

bluevalentine

so apparently yall know what yall talkin bout up here :) i should have never even questioned that lol....here's what i mean....

i've picked up a lil bit of info up here regarding using rinses or semi permanent hair color to achieve a different hair color and/or tint....and from what i've gathered it is next to impossible to achieve a lighter or different color if your hair is jet black...is that correct?

i didn't want to believe that so i tried this (in ravishing red)
379679.jpg

and my hair is still as black as before i started....sigh....

i'm bored with my jet black hair color yall, VERY BORED :ohwell:....and i just wanted to see if there have been any ladies with jet black or very dark hair color that have successfully been able to change the hair color or tint by using a hair rinse or semi permanent hair color. if so what brand have u used and what color...i'm leaning more towards the reddish/auburn type color.

i really don't want to lift my color or do anything permanent......

i'm sitting here right now eyeing a bottle of bright right semi permanent hair color by via....

maybe i should just look into doing a permanent color......

or maybe i just need to get somewhere and sit down lol :look:

yall help :grin:

I would suggest you do a colored cellophane or rinse over the black. It won't be dramatic but it would show under light and in the sun..:yep: That's why a lot of people steer clear of permanent black...I think it's the hardest color to change from.

I've only used color showers, a semi permanent olive oil based rinse, and the color was basicly only reflexed in the sunlight (except black).:perplexed I've used black which was AWESOME because i had hightlights and it covered them up nicely. I also used dark brown and have purchased honey. So please let us know how it turns out. I don't think you should go doing a permanent color just yet, play around with the semi's for a minute.

im not sure that would work in many cases because hair color deposits color, and if your hair is already dark then I dont see how a color would work. i think you need something that will lift your color to make it lighter.

thanks for the responses you guys. :yawn:

i've been eyeing those colorshowers for a minute......hmmm.....i think i'm going to bite the bullet and try those out before i run to the drugstore and pick up another useless hair color product....

if anyone else has any suggestions please chime in, thanks.

im not sure that would work in many cases because hair color deposits color, and if your hair is already dark then I dont see how a color would work. i think you need something that will lift your color to make it lighter.

noooooooo please don't say that...lol....dangit :wallbash:.

i want some color so bad its bout to kill me....ok maybe its not that serious but still i just want something different.....

A friend of mine who has natural jet black hair is always complaining of the same thing. When she gets rinses or semi-permanent they never really show up. The last time she got it done, she said she was scared b/c in the bottle the color was like fire red, but once it was all done you could barely tell unless she stood under the sun/light. It had a pretty auburn color to it, but I don't think it lasted too long. So I guess don't be afraid to get brighter shades of the color you want to achieve b/c it still may come out a lot darker in the end.

A friend of mine who has natural jet black hair is always complaining of the same thing. When she gets rinses or semi-permanent they never really show up. The last time she got it done, she said she was scared b/c in the bottle the color was like fire red, but once it was all done you could barely tell unless she stood under the sun/light. It had a pretty auburn color to it, but I don't think it lasted too long. So I guess don't be afraid to get brighter shades of the color you want to achieve b/c it still may come out a lot darker in the end.

i guess i just want my color to be seen regardless of whether i'm in the sun or not :sad:....it doesn't seem possible though....

If you're black is permanent, you may have to strip it to make it lighter. It can be damaging so be careful. I think they have some newer techniques that aren't so damaging but I don't know enough to comment on those.

If I'm wrong, one of the other ladies will correct me.

the first time i colored my hair i used adore in velvet black (semi permanent)

since then i've used a rinse (vitale evertone in jet black)

i wash my hair a LOT, so it would seem like the jet blackness would wear off...but then again i don't really give it enough time before i'm using a rinse again...hmmmmm

I've died my hair jet black several times before and I used I beleive a semi-permanent die to color my hair red. The box said it was fire red which made me nervous but once it was done it came out great. Let me see if can find a picture of the box ....

((running to go find that pic or name of dye...be back soon))

spill the beans missy.....is that permanent that you have in your hair? did u have it professionally done or did u do it yourself? brand and color please . TIA. :grin:

The only way you're going to get lighter hair is by lifting it...lifting it is going to involve bleach and if you are relaxed that means double processed hair...I wouldn't chance it...I've let go of my "light" ambitions long ago....when I basically melted the top portion of my hair off my head about a 1 inch square right on the top of my head...

I was trying to go from black to something lighter and it was a MESS..if you are natural? Then it can probably be done, by a stylist gradually...but normally not in one process...

If you are relaxed...I would either grow out the black, a long process but your healthiest option, or weave in a few pieces of color and call it a day

I don't think you want color so bad that you would be willing to possibly sacrifice some of your progress????

I think maybe a Red tint would work, like the poster above stated...but if you want LIGHTER hair...you're going to need bleach. period.

Go to JenniferMD's fotki. She has naturally dark hair and has used different Color Showers with different results. Her website to purchase is roundbrushhair.com. As you've already found out, the diff may not be super dramatic but also keep in mind that depending on how ofter you apply, the color does kind of build upon itself and may show up more w/more use. Just a thought. If that don't work, Sat down! Don't you put no permanent color or a lifter in any form on your hair :spank:

The only way you're going to get lighter hair is by lifting it...lifting it is going to involve bleach and if you are relaxed that means double processed hair...I wouldn't chance it...I've let go of my "light" ambitions long ago....when I basically melted the top portion of my hair off my head about a 1 inch square right on the top of my head...

I was trying to go from black to something lighter and it was a MESS..if you are natural? Then it can probably be done, by a stylist gradually...but normally not in one process...

If you are relaxed...I would either grow out the black, a long process but your healthiest option, or weave in a few pieces of color and call it a day

I don't think you want color so bad that you would be willing to possibly sacrifice some of your progress????

I think maybe a Red tint would work, like the poster above stated...but if you want LIGHTER hair...you're going to need bleach. period.

i know exactly what you are saying...double processing is not the healthiest option, but i know it can be done if properly done and taken cae of......just not sure if i'm going to try that as of yet....

thanks for your input!

Go to JenniferMD's fotki. She has naturally dark hair and has used different Color Showers with different results. Her website to purchase is roundbrushhair.com. As you've already found out, the diff may not be super dramatic but also keep in mind that depending on how ofter you apply, the color does kind of build upon itself and may show up more w/more use. Just a thought. If that don't work, Sat down! Don't you put no permanent color or a lifter in any form on your hair :spank:

LOL, hey Eisani you don't know this but its your dang fault i want to change my hair color....I LOVE YOUR HAIR COLOR but i think i read in your fotki that you said your hair is a naturally light in color and thats why the colorshowers takes so well...so let me head on over to roundbrushhair and order me a colorshower in a nice red color and we'll go from there.

if this doesn't work....ima get somewhere and SAT DOWN LOL...i think...

I've died my hair jet black several times before and I used I beleive a semi-permanent die to color my hair red. The box said it was fire red which made me nervous but once it was done it came out great. Let me see if can find a picture of the box ....

oooh please share, thanks :)

Okay it's ACTUALLY permanent hair color that is specifically made for dark hair color which doesn't require prelightnening. Which can be purchased at Sally's. Mix with 2.5oz of 30 Volume Loreal Creme Develpor. Do not Use a liquid developer. See full Instructions printed inside of the carton..

Okay it's ACTUALLY permanent hair color that is specifically made for dark hair color which doesn't require prelightnening. Which can be purchased at Sally's. Mix with 2.5oz of 30 Volume Loreal Creme Develpor. Do not Use a liquid developer. See full Instructions printed inside of the carton..

Hey, is this for natural dark hair, colored dark or both?

hmmm....permanent? did you find it drying? if i do decide to use a permanent, i'm going to look into this.....thanks so much :)

spill the beans missy.....is that permanent that you have in your hair? did u have it professionally done or did u do it yourself? brand and color please . TIA. :grin:

I did it myself.
I use Texture & Tones to color my hair. I have no idea what color it was b/c it was a while back.
I get a highlight cap, pull strands through it and just put color on those strands so I can get highlights using a permanent instead of whole head color. Before my rinse last week this was my hair color

eta. It's been over 6 months since i did it

Last edited:
you could always bleach the hair and then rinse over it. i've done it for years with no ill effects. you just have to keep the hair moisturized. other than that its really easy to do.

I've only used color showers, a semi permanent olive oil based rinse, and the color was basicly only reflexed in the sunlight (except black).:perplexed I've used black which was AWESOME because i had hightlights and it covered them up nicely. I also used dark brown and have purchased honey. So please let us know how it turns out. I don't think you should go doing a permanent color just yet, play around with the semi's for a minute.

Hey Wheezy,

How do u like the Color Showers? I'm trying to figure out what color(s) to order.

you could always bleach the hair and then rinse over it. i've done it for years with no ill effects. you just have to keep the hair moisturized. other than that its really easy to do.

I have 3 girls in my fam who have been doing that for over 10 years

Hair color can gradually be stripped out w/o drying your hair out. There are methods you can do at home w/o using a hair dye remover per se. I stripped all my black dye out last summer because I had color buildup and was just tooo done with having black hair color for several years (although I love it!). Since last summer I have gradually lightened my hair to where it is a medium brown w/bronze and dark blonde highlights (I've since learned to use cool tones so I don't get tired of the highlights looking orangey). Now if I feel that "itch" for dark hair again I'll just use a rinse. Oh, and you're not gonna see much of a color result w/the Loreal Hi lift. I used the Shimmering Gold, which I believe has been discontinued. Unless you also use a cool or neutral based tone you will wind up w/orangey redddish dark streaks unless that is what you are looking for.

I did it myself.
I use Texture & Tones to color my hair. I have no idea what color it was b/c it was a while back.
I get a highlight cap, pull strands through it and just put color on those strands so I can get highlights using a permanent instead of whole head color. Before my rinse last week this was my hair color

eta. It's been over 6 months since i did it

its so nice and shiny and healthy, i love it.....:yep:

ok here's what i'm going to do....i went out to walgreens and bought a permament dye because i'm really wanting something new. i tried it out on a piece of jet black weave hair that i dyed that i use to make my bun fuller and i FELL IN LOVE WITH THE COLOR :lick:.

oh...this is what i bought in intense red(its made specifically for dark hair colors)...
367111.jpg

i'm going to do high lights and mainly just the front area of my head, my hair needs some "oomph" to it....my hair regimen is going to have to change and i'm going to have to fall back on what little heat i've been using but its going to be worth it...

i'll be back later with some pics :)

Back