So...I Big Chopped...

overtherainbow

...And I love it!

I did not expect to big chop this week, but after washing my hair for a braid and curl, I just couldn't take it anymore and grabbed the scissors. There are still some scraggly's that I'm searching and destroying. I am 11 months post.

Its now CL when stretched, which is longer than I thought it was!

The only downside was that I called in my mother for help, and she pretty much said every insult in the book. It kind of put a damper on my BC, so now I feel a little self conscious. And now we're going for a mother's day brunch, and I know my aunts would be kinder, but it sucks knowing that your mother thinks your'e ugly because your hair isn't relaxed. All well, she'll get over it.

Here's my first wash and go with a leave in and argan oil :)
bc1.jpg
bc2.jpg
What do you think? I have some braiding hair that I'm definitely going to put into use, but I might wear it out like this for a few weeks.

Last edited:

LynnieB

Congrats overtherainbow - I think you look absolutely and adorably gorgeous!!

So glad you're happy and confident to wear your beautiful new hair - as you should be!!

Naysayers and Debbiedowners (including but especially close family members and friends) are here, there and everywhere and I'm so glad you're not letting their hangups and gray cloud thoughts effect you one little bit!

Enjoy!!

Sidenote: After 6 years, I still feel that going natural was the best choice for me and I enjoy all the wonderful styling options and freedom that go along with it and I wish the same for you my dear!!

Diva_Esq

Don't mind her! Change is hard for older people. Sometimes, I think moms are unkind because they worry that others will be. My Mom told me she didn't like mine either...fast forward and she can't stop touching and complimenting and trying to go natural herself!! Lol

overtherainbow

You look great! Congrats, your skin is like perfect too!
Thanks! And it's far from perfect as I'm in the middle of a bad break out. The beauty of a good foundation lol.
Congrats overtherainbow - I think you look absolutely and adorably gorgeous!!

So glad you're happy and confident to wear your beautiful new hair - as you should be!!

Naysayers and Debbiedowners (including but especially close family members and friends) are here, there and everywhere and I'm so glad you're not letting their hangups and gray cloud thoughts effect you one little bit!

Enjoy!!

Sidenote: After 6 years, I still feel that going natural was the best choice for me and I enjoy all the wonderful styling options and freedom that go along with it and I wish the same for you my dear!!

Thank you! I think I'm too excited after waiting almost a year to be able to enjoy my hair. I know my mother would come around soon, she's just...in shock.
Don't mind her! Change is hard for older people. Sometimes, I think moms are unkind because they worry that others will be. My Mom told me she didn't like mine either...fast forward and she can't stop touching and complimenting and trying to go natural herself!! Lol
This is definitely true. Her main concerns were that my hair would look bad at job interviews (even though I freelance), weddings, and parties. And then when I told her that I don't plan on straightening often as my hair is very prone to heat damage, I swear she could have fainted lol. I think once my hair grows out, my mother would have a change of heart.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Omg. I think you look BEAUTIFUL!!!! You look like a princess. Don't let anyone tell you different!

hug moms and keep it moving... She will get over it.

Forever in Bloom

You are gorgeous!! I can see how happy you are :)

My mom did the same thing 5.5 years ago. Now she's oohing an aahing over my WHip length hair, and she's natural as well with BSL hair (because of my care).

She's intent on me straightening it now. Geez, I can't win, lol! I told her that if she didn't let up, I'd take away my weekly hair styling treats I give her.

Your mom will eventually come around; she just can't see your reason or vision right now.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MsChelle

I think you look lovely! Don't pay any mind to insults. All that matters is you being happy with your cut. I Think it's very becoming and your face looks very radiant and happy. Enjoy your hair and your journey.

Last edited:

aishasoleil

You are so pretty and your hair looks so cute! My mom and many of my other older family members (pretty much everyone over 40) had something negative to say about my hair. Now, they love it. One of my uncles still teases me, but in a lighthearted way. Your mom will come around once she gets over the shock. On the off chance she doesn't, you'll just have to be sure to stay confident. Come here to LHCF when you need a little boost! :)

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My mom hung up on me when I first told her. She still doesn't like it but she doesn't say anything about it even though I can see it on her face. Without all the support from the forums I don't know what would have happened. I was in the transitioners thread for over a year before I BC'ed and in the newly natural thread for over a year after. You'll find other people going through the same stuff, and it really does help to have that support.
HHG!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
You look A-MAZING! I agree with an earlier post that it's harder for older folks to accept. They are from a time when looking closer to white was right. Congratulations to you, Sis!

Ogoma

It looks great and you look so pretty with it.

My mom tried to discourage me as well, but she is now natural herself and a product junkie :lol:. Enjoy the hair and the day.

prettybyrd

I'm sorry that your mom made you feel self conscious - you shouldn't be! You are a beautiful young woman, and whether your mom comes around or not, enjoy YOUR journey! :)

overtherainbow

Thank you everyone for your lovely words of encouragement! All of my aunts at brunch loved my twa. Two of them are natural BSL. Even my grandmother, who's a lifelong fan of long relaxed hair liked it. And my mother started to come around after seeing how happy I was with my hair. She even took the credit for cutting it lol. Right now I'm heading out to a mothers day dinner with my Father's side of the family, and I hope they take it just as well.

Stephanay

I don't know what kind of mother wouldn't be happy/proud that her daughter is embracing her natural beauty and assets in a society that makes it hard to do so.

You look beautiful and your hair looks really thick and healthy. I hope I can one day reach this fullness