So Indian ppl love Amla oil

SoAnxious12

i absolutely love amla oil, i just need to find a new place to order it from, i uses to use estina... but hehe not anymore lol. I'm not sure if it made my hair thicker, but it definitely gave me a silkier, smoother feeling. I'm excited to see how it would work with henna/indigo.

chebaby

i just started back using my dabur amla oil and i love it. hate the smell but love the oil lol. i think i may pre poo overnight with it tonight. i've only used it twice on my natural hair nad i noticed my hair does feel thicker when i rinse it out. i will definatly continue to use it. i dont know how often i will repurchase because the indian store is about an hour away from me.

diva24

I don't know the Indian people around here are acting pretty stingy ! I've asked several Indian women where I can purchase amla oil and they look at me like I'm crazy, maybe they weren't Indian after all ? :perplexed So I'm just going to order it from online.

:yep: My workplace is VERY diverse. I saw a Pakistani woman and an Eritrean woman both confuse the other for Indian. VERY funny!:lachen:

BostonMaria

A family member married a Pakistani and she TRIED to introduce me to Amla Oil like 9 years ago but I'm a stubborn woman LOL and wouldn't get past the smell :grin: So glad I found the boards and saw testimonials on the Amla Powder. Now I walk into Indian stores like I know what I'm doing LOL Sometimes they look at me funny, but I just smile and buy up all their henna LOL Money is a universal love :look:

I actually ordered Amla several months ago, before I found LHCF. Actually, it was before I even decided to transition. I was simply looking for something to moisturize my hair and I remembered a Global Goddess beauty segment I had seen on The View. Well, when I visited that website she had a coconut amla treatment - $45 for 6 oz.hmmmmm. I ended up ordering 8 oz Vadik Herbs Amla oil from Bazaar of India for $20. Of course, a short time later I found LHCF and saw that everyone used powder:wallbash:

That's horrible!!!
OMG how can anybody charge that? Was it an overseas company? :perplexed I usually buy local, but I have to travel 20 miles to get Amla so I just ordered from AyurNatural Beauty because the Amla Powder is only $3.49 a box and the Oil is $6.99 for 200 ML. Her shipping is low too. I just bought the stuff I can't find locally (Maka & Aritha), but henna and Neem powders are abundant thank God LOL

ladylibra

I never encountered this :) But maybe it is because I already embrace the culture and understand much of the language. The people there were just really nice and a girl even offered to give me her incense holder from home! aw :)

Yeah when i first learnt how to speak hindi i was like ok once and for all, I'm going to learnhow to pronounce shikakai. In the script it is pronounced shi-kah-kae

Also, a lot of times if you enter a setting with a certain attitude, then people will give you the same attitude back. We must be accepting of other people so that they can accept us!

To the bolded: I don't have an attitude towards people (in general), and I don't think they had an attitude towards me when I first went. They were just staring - not glaring like they didn't want me there, but very curious as to why I was there.

I've never had anything but good experiences at that store. :yep: I was just sharing that the first time I went, I felt a little akward.

andromeda

That's horrible!!!
OMG how can anybody charge that? Was it an overseas company? :perplexed I usually buy local, but I have to travel 20 miles to get Amla so I just ordered from AyurNatural Beauty because the Amla Powder is only $3.49 a box and the Oil is $6.99 for 200 ML. Her shipping is low too. I just bought the stuff I can't find locally (Maka & Aritha), but henna and Neem powders are abundant thank God LOL

I know, but it's marketed as a luxury product so:ohwell:
The company is owned by an American by the name of Shalini Vadhera. She is frequently on The View and her products are also featured in Victoria's Secret Catalog. Here's her website http://www.globalgoddessbeauty.com/

I don't have a problem with her charging that amount or people making an informed decision to pay that amount. I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with"luxury" product lines that have a certain cache, i.e. Carol's Daughter. However, I think that in this particular case she's selling something that's viewed as "exotic" by the mainstream and a lot of her customers probably don't realize that her version of the product is overpriced and not particularly unique; amla comparable in quality can be found for much less and is actually widely available (esp with the advent of the internet). At the very least, I would hope that she actually is using the best quality of ingredients unlike other "luxury" products that use rather crappy ingredients.

ETA: I'll be checking out AyurNaturals for my future purchases.

chebaby

pre pood today for three hours with my amla oil and its official. my hair really responds well to this oil. my hair hates some oils, like evoo. that stuff makes my hair hard. but coconut and amla oil makes my hair sooooo soft. its a keeper. i just hate the smell.

SimplyBlessed

pre pood today for three hours with my amla oil and its official. my hair really responds well to this oil. my hair hates some oils, like evoo. that stuff makes my hair hard. but coconut and amla oil makes my hair sooooo soft. its a keeper. i just hate the smell.

Girl u are tempting me to pre poo with mine over night... I have high hopes for this oil lol...I have work n the morning so I guess I'll have 2 wait bc I ain't tryin 2 be all stinky at work tom. lol

Commercial Amla oils, like the dark green one, are just a bunch of mineral and vegetable oils with a pinch of Amla. I'm not opposed to mineral oil, but no way am I spending more than a dollar for mineral and vegetable oil in a bottle. Is anyone using an actual Amla hair oil with a significant amount of Amla oil in it?

flowinlocks

Commercial Amla oils, like the dark green one, are just a bunch of mineral and vegetable oils with a pinch of Amla. I'm not opposed to mineral oil, but no way am I spending more than a dollar for mineral and vegetable oil in a bottle. Is anyone using an actual Amla hair oil with a significant amount of Amla oil in it?

OMG, What's going on in your siggy?:blush: :lachen::lachen::lachen:

^^^^^damn now you got me wanting real amla oil. does indian stores sale actual amla oil?

I'm sure some might. Otherwise I've heard of some ladies making their own using amla powder and oil. I was considering maybe adding some powder in with the dark green oil, letting it set for a good while, and straining it in order to add some extra amla to it. I wonder if that would mess up the preservation.

Mizani_Mrs

@ BroadStreet, ugh how did the dude in your siggy, think that what he is doing is even remotely cute??? Ugh??? lol

I am blessed to live 1/4mile from an Indian store and I frequently purchase the 12oz Vatika oil for $3.99 and they are very nice to me. They have soooo many oils, powders, foods and goodies in there but i never had the time to browse and ask questions. Vatika oil is hands down the best hair product EVER. I use it as a pre-poo and i can instantly notice less breakage, darker softer stronger hair. I lOVE It. Sometimes i prepoo overnite, sometimes I prepoo for only 1hr. But it is a strengthening treatment (which can be drying) so now I mix with a moisturizing conditioner to balance it, as opposed to having to deep condition after I wash my hair. i recently bought my 2 sisters a bottle and they both immediately called me and raved about the product.

I bought the amla oil, but i chickened out of using it because it's mineral oil. but i guess i'll give it a try as a pre-poo since u ladies have had good results.

chebaby

so let me get this straight. all i have to do is add amla powder to lets say coconut oil and the powder turns to oil????

if this is true then i will most def. be traveling(hahahahah) to the indian store.

dcprdiva

I'm using the mineral oil Amla Oil sold in the Indian stores. I love it. I don't use it every week, because I don't want to darken my hair too much. I use it for pre-poo and it makes my hair really, really strong. I almost feel like I don't need to DC when I use it.

The Indian's always praise me when I buy it - so I'm sticking with it.

BostonMaria

so let me get this straight. all i have to do is add amla powder to lets say coconut oil and the powder turns to oil????

if this is true then i will most def. be traveling(hahahahah) to the indian store.

If you buy Amla Powder and mix it with coconut oil and water you will make a paste. You apply the paste to your hair, leave it on for 1 hour and then rinse it out.

^^^^^damn now you got me wanting real amla oil. does indian stores sale actual amla oil?

Yes. I was just at an Indian store a few hours ago and saw a bunch of Amla oil and I bought myself a Shikakai bar.

BostonMaria

I know, but it's marketed as a luxury product so:ohwell:
The company is owned by an American by the name of Shalini Vadhera. She is frequently on The View and her products are also featured in Victoria's Secret Catalog. Here's her website http://www.globalgoddessbeauty.com/

I don't have a problem with her charging that amount or people making an informed decision to pay that amount. I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with"luxury" product lines that have a certain cache, i.e. Carol's Daughter. However, I think that in this particular case she's selling something that's viewed as "exotic" by the mainstream and a lot of her customers probably don't realize that her version of the product is overpriced and not particularly unique; amla comparable in quality can be found for much less and is actually widely available (esp with the advent of the internet). At the very least, I would hope that she actually is using the best quality of ingredients unlike other "luxury" products that use rather crappy ingredients.

ETA: I'll be checking out AyurNaturals for my future purchases.

I'm on her website right now. Look at the ingredients in this one $45 conditioner...

[FONT=arial, helvetica]coconut oil, coconut hair oil, hair oil, amla, amla oil, neem, indian gooseberry, nourishing, avocado, avocado oil, shiny hair, coconut amla oil, hair treatmen
http://www.globalgoddessbeauty.com/017.html

That's just sad and what the heck is hair oil? LOL I can find those same ingredients in a $12 bottle of Afroveda hair milk.

[/FONT]

I think you add amla to the oil, let it sit, and then strain to remove just the oil. I don't have the HESH amla powder, I have a more grainy type of amla.

I'm using the mineral oil Amla Oil sold in the Indian stores. I love it. I don't use it every week, because I don't want to darken my hair too much. I use it for pre-poo and it makes my hair really, really strong. I almost feel like I don't need to DC when I use it.

I've used it before, and it worked fine. I'm just curious as to how much Amla is actually in it.

Ingredients:
Paraffinum Liquidum , Canola Oil, Palm Glycerides, Emblica Officinals (Amla) Extract in Canola Oil, Fragance, t-Butyl Hydroquinone (Anti oxidant),
Colors: D&C: Yellow No.10, Green No.6, Red No.17

chebaby

I've used it before, and it worked fine. I'm just curious as to how much Amla is actually in it.

Ingredients:
Paraffinum Liquidum , Canola Oil, Palm Glycerides, Emblica Officinals (Amla) Extract in Canola Oil, Fragance, t-Butyl Hydroquinone (Anti oxidant),

Colors: D&C: Yellow No.10, Green No.6, Red No.17
omg those ingredients suck. not what i was exspecting at all. i do love the oil but i think i will try to make my own mixed in with some coconut oil.

chebaby

ok i think i will try and make a paste this weekend. im off to view the ayurvedic hair threads lol.

omg those ingredients suck. not what i was exspecting at all. i do love the oil but i think i will try to make my own mixed in with some coconut oil.

Well it goes to show that Mineral Oil isn't THAT bad. If it works it works. I just plan on adding some more amla to it.

Denise11

I use Hairveda's Cocasta oil. It contains Amla, Shikakai, neem, castor, avocado, and some other kind of oil. I think olive oil. It really makes my hair strong. I pre-poo overnight with it, and I oil my scalp with it. I've been thinking about making my own oil but I have about 6 bottles to use up first.

chebaby

i love cocasta oil but i havent used it in a long while. that stuff is amazing but it is thick. i love thick oils but i have never pre pood with one.

SimplyBlessed

Yea when I got mine the lady at the register said good choice :grin: (Amla in the green bottle)

Eisani

You can make your own amla, shikakai, hell whatever kind of oil you want! There are a few threads about it in the natural living section, but you can make an infusion a few different ways. When I make mine, I use the powder in either a mixture of coconut and jojoba or coconut and avocado oil. You can use any carrier oil, but I prefer ones that actually absorb into the hair and scalp. Olive and coco would be a good mix as well. Good stuff and you know exactly what's in it.

alexstin

I use the amla oil sold at From Nature With Love