Sometimes I Want to Go Natural So Badly

Stepiphanie

I was feeling that same way around april of last year.I had never really stretched before, but slowly I started pushing back my relaxer date, rocked braid outs all summer,than in Sept got a weave. At that point I finally decided I was gonna commit to transitioning. I believe that ps, and low mani are keys to get through it smoothly. My hair is out now, but will be in a weave in 2wks, they really help make it much easier.

Lady Esquire

What was the turning point that makes you feel you should go natural? What made you return to relaxers, and would you be able to overcome that this go around?

I'm behind you 100% (if that counts for anything). Only YOU know your hair and if you feel it's becoming worse, by all means, do something now before it's too late.
I went natural because I had picked up bad hair habits. I needed to give my hair a break. I went back to a relaxer because I dropped those bad habits. Looking back, I never celebrated my natural hair. Now, after REALLY getting to know my hair, I feel I am ready for it. I am texlaxed, but recovering postpartum shedding damage. So that has a lot to do with me wanting a change. You're a SWEETIE, Nichi. Thanks.

For me I experienced curl pattern loosening in the bottom half of my strands...but they're all in tact and strong so...I dont think of them as heat damaged. I think this works out for me because I have thick coarse strands that can seriously handle alot.

For me going natural made my hair low-maintenence and really resilient, its never been longer and I have a very wide array of styles available to me so its a great time.
I think my hair could withstand a regimen similar to yours. Its COARSE.

im indecisive, so this path was good for me - taught me some tough lessons, but i learned :)
I'm indecisive too. Not BCing is definitely the way for me to go.

I'm transitioning as we speak - hoping to make it to 18mths - sometime in May before I BC.
Good luck!

Hey, Lady Esquire! :wave:

I transitioned for 18 months and my transition was going along smoothly, until I hit months approx. 15-17. At that point, it got to be REAL challenging. The difference between the two textures was brutal for me because my hair is fine. I remember two of these threads in particular; perhaps they will help you out:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=418600&highlight=months+hardest+transition

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=304771&highlight=months+hardest+transition

Good luck with whatever you decide! :grin:
Hi TaraDyan! :wave: I loved your relaxed hair and love your natural head too! Thanks for your post and links.

Lady Esquire

me! I have tried to transition about 5 times now. I am even embarrassed to type it. I think of what you are talking about all the time. I am currently 11 weeks post. I figure if I can hold out until my b-day (April 30th), then I will be 27 weeks post with 3 inches of natural hair!

So I am just keeping my hair braided and wearing half wigs. I'm just going to coast through with the weave. My natural hair is coily, soft and so thick! I know it would be amazing all natural. I could rock all different kinds of styles and really enjoy my hair. If I can make it to my birthday, I know I can go all the way!!!

We'll see how long I stick with this plan but it sounds good right now.
Don't be embarrassed. I need to hear stories like yours because its not easy for some. I may be just like you. Truth be told, my mind was not in it when I was natural. I was always thinking about when I would apply a relaxer. But now, I think I have made that shift. I dunno. Good luck to you, ajoyfuljoy, and keep us posted with whether this time sticks. :giggle:

ThePerfectScore

i got my last relaxer in March 2009... i have not cut off my relaxed ends... the two textures are just co-existing lol. I wonder how long I can let that go on. The reason why I went natural was I was stretching my relaxer for about 4 months and I went to the BSS to buy ORS-Nolye relaxer. A guy who work there was helping my mom pick out a phony pony (which she never got lol). He looked at the box of relaxer and told me not to do it. I was hesitant b/c the relaxer was on sale! But I put the relaxer back and the rest is history. The way I justified it was that I could always go back and relax no problem, so I should at least give myself the chance to see how natural is. As far as breakage, I figured if my relax hair breaks off who cares, I'm supposed to get rid of it anyway. lol

Lady Esquire

i got my last relaxer in March 2009... i have not cut off my relaxed ends... the two textures are just co-existing lol. I wonder how long I can let that go on. The reason why I went natural was I was stretching my relaxer for about 4 months and I went to the BSS to buy ORS-Nolye relaxer. A guy who work there was helping my mom pick out a phony pony (which she never got lol). He looked at the box of relaxer and told me not to do it. I was hesitant b/c the relaxer was on sale! But I put the relaxer back and the rest is history. The way I justified it was that I could always go back and relax no problem, so I should at least give myself the chance to see how natural is. As far as breakage, I figured if my relax hair breaks off who cares, I'm supposed to get rid of it anyway. lol

Thanks for that story. I like your attitude towards this. Good luck with it. You're almost at a YEAR, TPS! Keep us posted, girlie.

Amerie123

Hey LadyE :wave:.. I'm currently transitioning myself, and you know i'm no guru (I was just a newbie looking to you for help in 08), but if you want to go natural, go for it. If you can stretch for 6 months you've already mastered half the battle. Just keep it going for as long as possible. The best part about transitioning w/o BC IMO is that if you decide to change your mind, you can relax again and still have all your hair. :sekret:

As for me, I want it soo bad, so i'm willing to try as hard as I can. For motivation, i just look at all the naturals who are BSL and longer, and it keeps me inspired. So, good luck with whatever decision you make. I'm only 29 weeks and counting, so, i cant give you a success story yet.

Lady Esquire

Amazing, :wave: How ya doing, girl? I see you with all that hurrrrrrr! Now the student becomes the teacher. Call me Danielson, or grasshoppppa. Teach me. Give me free!!!!!!

MizAvalon

I wouldn't mind being natural again but I don't have the patience to transistion and a BC is out of the question because I don't do short hair.

So, relaxed I stay.

prospurr4

Hi LadyE! Just chiming in to offer support for whatever you decide to do.