Sore Scalp and what looks like BREAKAGE?

LdyKamz

For the past week my scalp has been bothersome close to my crown. My crown is already a trouble spot but this seems to be something different. First, because the soreness is a little toward the front and off to the right - so not exactly the crown and second, because I've never experienced soreness at all. Now I notice the hairs in that area seem shorter than the rest so definitely some sort of breakage. Thing is, when I comb my hair, cowash and style I rarely have hair coming out. So I would have never even noticed anything if not for the soreness. What can I do about this? Any soothing scalp remedies or do you think I should skip home remedies and see a dermatologist?

hnntrr

Sometimes I get the same thing when I wear nickel bobby pins, not sure why but I think its an allergic reaction. Maybe there is something your scalp is reacting too present in the products you are using. Are you using a small tooth comb?

There are some tea's that help with scalp (others will know more than me but I THINK green tea helps). Tea tree oil is also used for dry itchy scalp/fungus and stuff...you could try that also. I have random breakage around my crown too and I figured out it was from bantu knots that were too tight and wrapping my hair at night. Since then I just smooth my hair down with my hands or cross wrap so its less tension on the sides.

LdyKamz

I've been thinking about the products that I use but I haven't been using anything different. Maybe my hair and scalp just doesn't like this stuff anymore? Interstingly enough I just posted another thread about using entire product lines so I was already thinking about switching up.

I think I'll pick up some tea tree oil tomorrow and see how that works? What about rosemary oil? I hear good things about that but what does it do?

Seamonster

Do you have a relaxer, or are you transitioning? I say that because when I would have a lot of new growth; my scalp would hurt. It is winter time so we have a thousand opportunities to dry our scalps, and pull our hair out on winter clothing. Winter is sneaky.

Do you oil your scalp?
Do you wear bands, combs, bun, wig, hair piece, bobby pins, braids, twists, scarves, hats, etc? Sometimes we just need to tweak our routine.

Are you using a heater? They dry the air, and break off our fragile afro textured hair.

Winter is a bitter pill for afro textured hair.

IMFOCSD

@KammyGirl try this...

I love this stuff whenever i am having scalp issues this helps, you can buy it from walgreens, target, rite aid etc... Even though you are having soreness and not itching this will help with the scalp issues, it cools and soothes your pores & it feels great...hope this helps :)

ETA: other info..

Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo Stubborn Itch Control Description

• New Scent
  • Soothes Intense Scalp Itch with Cooling Menthol
  • Starts working after just one use
  • Dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis
  • #1 Dermatologist Recommended Brand
  • 2% Neutar® (Coal Tar 0.5%)

Neutrogena® T/Gel® Stubborn Itch Formula Therapeutic Shampoo is recommended by dermatologists to control the scalp itching and flaking caused by scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and even common dandruff.

• Proven effectiveness of 2% coal tar.
  • Effective from the first use.
  • Fights persistent itch long after the shampoo is rinsed off.
  • Menthol helps soothe and cool the scalp.
  • Gentle enough for everyday use.

Last edited:

LdyKamz

Do you have a relaxer, or are you transitioning? I say that because when I would have a lot of new growth; my scalp would hurt. It is winter time so we have a thousand opportunities to dry our scalps, and pull our hair out on winter clothing. Winter is sneaky.

Do you oil your scalp?
Do you wear bands, combs, bun, wig, hair piece, bobby pins, braids, twists, scarves, hats, etc? Sometimes we just need to tweak our routine.

Are you using a heater? They dry the air, and break off our fragile afro textured hair.

Winter is a bitter pill for afro textured hair.

I am relaxed but I am only 3 weeks post and have very little new growth. Most of it is in the sore spot but that still doesn't explain the breakage.

I bun daily and don't use clips or wear wigs or anything. But my house is usually very warm. I guess that could be contributing.

LdyKamz

@KammyGirl try this...

I love this stuff whenever i am having scalp issues this helps, you can buy it from walgreens, target, rite aid etc... Even though you are having soreness and not itching this will help with the scalp issues, it cools and soothes your pores & it feels great...hope this helps :)

ETA: other info..

Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo Stubborn Itch Control Description

• New Scent
  • Soothes Intense Scalp Itch with Cooling Menthol
  • Starts working after just one use
  • Dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis
  • #1 Dermatologist Recommended Brand
  • 2% Neutar® (Coal Tar 0.5%)
Neutrogena® T/Gel® Stubborn Itch Formula Therapeutic Shampoo is recommended by dermatologists to control the scalp itching and flaking caused by scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and even common dandruff.

• Proven effectiveness of 2% coal tar.
  • Effective from the first use.
  • Fights persistent itch long after the shampoo is rinsed off.
  • Menthol helps soothe and cool the scalp.
  • Gentle enough for everyday use.

My scalp is kind of itchy as well so this might help. Picking it up today and will report back. Thanks.