Sorry but u're black, u MUST be bald.

Lovelylocs

"America's Next Top Model" has done it several times. Now, I'm seeing it on "What Not to Wear". They shave the woman's hair down. It's like they are trying to create this image of an exotic African woman. It's usually on women who are kind of darker skinned. Does this annoy anyone else?

lisana

yep, I sure have noticed this and it is so annoying. sometimes I wonder if the idea of seeing a long haired black woman is a subconscious threat to some folks?

Duchesse

Don't you know black women only come in two forms?

The dark skinned Zulu queen, or the honey dipped Barbie. I know exactly what you are talking about, and yes it annoys me too.

fluffylocks

It annoys the crap out of me....

But actually, any cut that i feel is unnesarry really annoys me. Let people have their hair dammit

ESP. though if its a black women and i know that that APL or whatever didnt come easy

Qualitee

I just hate it when ppl say things like that!! ANTM always want to chop of the blk girls hair. I remember Bre ( a contestant) she had 3b/3c hair and she said one of the ANTM stylist was doing her hair and he said "oh your hair is so nappy.". I was like:censored: . Bre has beauty full hair!!! We all do:yep:

JustKiya

The dark skinned Zulu queen, or the honey dipped Barbie. I know exactly what you are talking about, and yes it annoys me too.

:wallbash:

Yes, I've seen it, and yes, it irks the living DAYLIGHTS outta me. :perplexed

Empress Yahudah

I just hate it when ppl say things like that!! ANTM always want to chop of the blk girls hair. I remember Bre ( a contestant) she had 3b/3c hair and she said one of the ANTM stylist was doing her hair and he said "oh your hair is so nappy.". I was like:censored: . Bre has beauty full hair!!! We all do:yep:

WoW what goes on behind the scenes:nono:...Thats crazy her is so beautiful

To tell u the truth tho I was SHOCKED that they didnt cut her hair or the other girl that was on the same season with long 3Cish hair since they do seem to scalp the majority of black woman light, med or dark with real hair that is healthy and long.:ohwell:
But the chicks with the shorter hair or hair that looks chewed up they throw weaves down thier backs:perplexed

Last edited:

Lovelylocs

To tell u the truth tho I was SHOCKED that they didnt cut her hair since they do seem to scalp the majority of black woman light, med or dark with real hair that is healthy and long.:ohwell: But the chicks with the chewed up hair they throw weaves down thier backs:perplexed

It's kind of scary b/c it's almost like Tyra gets a kick out of chopping the long haired black women's hair off. Maybe b/c Tyra never had any long hair of her own. I don't care what she claimed in her book. :rolleyes: I swear we need to write her some letters.

chicacanella

That would annoy me too. Black people (not just talking about A-Americans) come in all colors, hair lengths, shapes, etc. I am sick of the one mold fits all thinking in this country. :puke:

chicacanella

It's kind of scary b/c it's almost like Tyra gets a kick out of chopping the long haired black women's hair off. Maybe b/c Tyra never had any long hair of her own. I don't care what she claimed in her book. :rolleyes: I swear we need to write her some letters.

Tyra could have not had long hair cause she seems like a 3c/4a combo and it doesn't come easy to us folks with those combos. She doesn't understand how much sacrafice is put into having long, beautiful healthy hair.

Qualitee

To tell u the truth tho I was SHOCKED that they didnt cut her hair or the other girl that was on the same season with long 3Cish hair since they do seem to scalp the majority of black woman light, med or dark with real hair that is healthy and long.:ohwell:
But the chicks with the shorter hair or hair that looks chewed up they throw weaves down thier backs:perplexed
Yeah her name was nick and she had nice hair to but I bet you they called it nappy!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I have noticed this too...maybe because they don't know diddley squat about doing black women's hair :ohwell:
So the easiest thing is to shave it off and rub some oil in it. Geez....

Empress Yahudah

BINGO!!!... It's clear to a blind mole rat that she has hair issues of her own. Shoot the last time I seen Tyra's real hair was on Higher Learning:lol:
Than she tried to say that she did wear her natural hair on ANTM.. Umm sorry conrows with the ends tucked under is not showing ur hair.

Duchesse

BINGO!!!... It's clear to a blind mole rat that she has hair issues of her own. Shoot the last time I seen Tyra's real hair was on Higher Learning:lol:
Than she tried to say that she did wear her natural hair on ANTM.. Umm sorry conrows with the ends tucked under is not showing ur hair.

Maybe she was on a HYH challenge :lachen:

But Tyra definitely has issues with Black hair (as most of us do). I've never heard her say anything besides somewhat disparaging things towards natural hair.

Empress Yahudah

I have noticed this too...maybe because they don't know diddley squat about doing black women's hair :ohwell:
I love the show but that burns me up. As many women of color are on that show over the years they BEEN need to have gotten that right.
Shoot get whoever the stylist are that do those Pantene commercials to do thier hair:lachen:. Those ladies hair in those commerials have me in a trance every time I see them.

Empress Yahudah

Maybe she was on a HYH challenge :lachen:

But Tyra definitely has issues with Black hair (as most of us do). I've never heard her say anything besides somewhat disparaging things towards natural hair.
Have mercy :lol:

I thought it was about naturals too until she chopped that one girl with relaxed long hair Jaeda and the poor girl couldnt get her self right to save her life.

Attachments

• untitled 1.jpg
    untitled 1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 58
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

tenjoy

Im the honey dipped Barbie :yep::yep::yep:.

Wait, I think im the Grade B Maple Syrup dipped Barbie :lachen::lachen:

Last edited:

myco

I hate that almost as much as I hate the way she always gives the black girl a head full of waistlength Indian Remi with a part down the middle. It has about as much style as a towel draped over their head.

Bublin

I hate that almost as much as I hate the way she always gives the black girl a head full of waistlength Indian Remi with a part down the middle. It has about as much style as a towel draped over their head.

Yes, i was thinking the same thing.

Its either shaved off or a bad weave whilst the white girls have really great cuts.

Also the make-up they put on black girls is always dramatic (cus we can get away with it) and the white girls always look so naturally beautiful with their subtle make-up.

foxieroxienyc

the idea of seeing a long haired black woman is a subconscious threat to some folks?

Chiiiiild, let me tell you.... IT IS!

Case in point, one day 2 of my really good friends were walking in Times Square after having seen quite a number of our good friends and fellow dancers in their debut of a new Broadway show... I was walking down the block after the show, with my 2 friends - both gorgeous men, dancers. I looked really nice that day, had a FABULOUS red dress on that kinda flared a little at the bottom, nice halter top, great heels, very classy. This white girl went out of her way mind you to STOP dead in her tracks and give me the NASTIEST looks up and down for no reason whatsoever. Of course she's none of my concern so I didnt even pay her any attention, but my best friend stopped and went OFF on her, lol. :lachen::lachen: I turned around like :blush:. This was when I was rocking my weaves, which were ALWAYS ON POINT. They had to be for my line of work, and I always wore them APL to BSL so they looked really natural. My styist is the bomb.

This sort of thing happens a lot.... lol Including from other black women which really saddens me actually....:nono:

Last edited:

Saida

I agree with this, they dont think anything works for black womens hair, it just needs to be shaved of :nono:

sydney100

I have noticed that and felt really bad for those girls. Does tyra know how long it takes to grow your hair out? I sometimes feel that many of those chop offs are totally unnecessary!

MissMusic

I hate to be a descenter, but most of the time on ANTM or WNTW they do the opposite of what the person normally wears. On ANTM they also add hair or they take away hair to bring out facial features, not only to the black women, but all of the women. They add weave to the white girls hair also! On WNTW he always tries to give the person a drastic change and most of the time people's hair is eaten up by heat and products anyway. So, while they do chop often, I do not think that it is promoting a stereotype as much as getting people to go in a completely different direction to promote change. Just my opinion and observation

MizAvalon

They actually SHAVE their heads? Like, with a razor?

Now I know on most makeover shows, they almost always cut a woman's hair some but shaving it? :nono:

MizAvalon

Chiiiiild, let me tell you.... IT IS!

Case in point, one day 2 of my really good friends were walking in Times Square after having seen quite a number of our good friends and fellow dancers in their debut of a new Broadway show... I was walking down the block after the show, with my 2 friends - both gorgeous men, dancers. I looked really nice that day, had a FABULOUS red dress on that kinda flared a little at the bottom, nice halter top, great heels, very classy. This white girl went out of her way mind you to STOP dead in her tracks and give me the NASTIEST looks up and down for no reason whatsoever. Of course she's none of my concern so I didnt even pay her any attention, but my best friend stopped and went OFF on her, lol. :lachen::lachen: I turned around like :blush:. This was when I was rocking my weaves, which were ALWAYS ON POINT. They had to be for my line of work, and I always wore them APL to BSL so they looked really natural. My styist is the bomb.

This sort of thing happens a lot.... lol Including from other black women which really saddens me actually....:nono:

Girl, tell it! I don't think most people understand how powerful hair really is.

tapioca_pudding

On WNTW he pretty much cuts everyone's hair. It's not just black women.

I don't watch ANTM so I can't comment. But from what I've seen, they give you a 'different' look, which is typically the opposite of what you came in with. But again, that's just been my observation from the few episodes that I have watched.