SPIN-OFF: Black people with Type 1 Hair

Mz.MoMo5235

what i dont get is (and forgive me if it was already mentioned, but this is a long arse thread yall) why do mixed people with type 1 hair dont count when there are tones of mixed people with type 4 hair? for example, in the caribbeans or south america? there's a varying degree of mixtures (some appear to have no african blood, others appear to be full black, and the rest are as mixed up as they come). you can see a very fair skinned latina with light eyes, european features and type 4 kink, and have a very dark skinned latina with very "black" features, and be a type 1 or 2????

i'm confused and my brain is hurting :(

otegwu

ok, It seem that this thread agrees that yes there are 'black people' with type 1 hair, but now the definition of 'black' is more complicated then once considered. having dark brown skin, or even not,....is now assumed to mean 'black', so thats why images of Indians, Sri-lankan's and Aborigines are being posted, so yes if thats the case then I repeat 'black people' can have type 1 hair.

If I assume the term 'black people' meaning Africans or individuals of African decent (1-10 generations), then I doubt the chance of having type 1 hair is possible without genetic mixing with those of a genetic disposition of type 1 hair.

almond eyes

Please show me a picture of a dark black latina woman with stick straight hair (not blown out or relaxed) and my next question is that while we may claim them to be black many who we are categorising as black Latinas/nos do not consider themselves as such in many of these South American countries they have their own categorisations based on their racial compositions.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Kurlee

what i dont get is (and forgive me if it was already mentioned, but this is a long arse thread yall) why do mixed people with type 1 hair dont count when there are tones of mixed people with type 4 hair? for example, in the caribbeans or south america? there's a varying degree of mixtures (some appear to have no african blood, others appear to be full black, and the rest are as mixed up as they come). you can see a very fair skinned latina with light eyes, european features and type 4 kink, and have a very dark skinned latina with very "black" features, and be a type 1 or 2????

i'm confused and my brain is hurting :(
People have it stuck in their brains that darker people inherently are "more black" than those who are lighter, which implies that darker = kinky and lighter = looser hair. No matter how wrong it is or how biologically unsound it is, they hold on to it. It is not accurate or true, but I digress.

Mz.MoMo5235

Please show me a picture of a dark black latina woman with stick straight hair (not blown out or relaxed) and my next question is that while we may claim them to be black many who we are categorising as black Latinas/nos do not consider themselves as such in many of these South American countries they have their own categorisations based on their racial compositions.

Best,
Almond Eyes

i dont have any pix (plus who's the say the pix i could post arent blow outs) but i know 1st hand its possible as i've seen them, just walk the streets of low east manhattan and you'll catch a few. go to the islands and you'll see a few more. i'm not saying its the norm or anything, but it is possible. hell i had type 1 hair until i was about 5, then it changed. but some keep it...

Mz.MoMo5235

oh yeah! also about the "they dont think they're black" thing.

that is true, several of them do feel that way (half of my dads side of the fam are perfect examples of that). but them denying that they're black doesnt change fact. i full puerto rican but i also not only admit but embrace everything black about me. i've never considered it to be 2 separate things. saying "i'm black" flows of my tongue as easily as "i'm puerto rican"... its the same. the only difference from the black people here vs the black people off the islands is our ancestors were forced to speak a different language than english. they were still ripped from their home, still raped and beaten, still forced to conform to anothers social acceptance... instead of working the cotton fields we were working the sugar cane plantations.

black is black really... a dog can say its a cat all they want, but they're no less of a dog

and i know the above has little to nothing to do with the op... i just had to comment on the comment is all

and if any one is interested, i would say to check out this youtuber http://www.youtube.com/user/LaMorenaReina69

and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-qcOqNInQ

all the vids are great and show that we dont all deny that we are black...

Almaz

I love her tubes came across her a week ago

I have seen some very Black Sudanese from the south with Jet black faces and straight hair and they are not arab because the arabs are killing them like roaches. There are somali Bantus like that too and somalis don't mix with them because they are BANTUS

oh yeah! also about the "they dont think they're black" thing.

that is true, several of them do feel that way (half of my dads side of the fam are perfect examples of that). but them denying that they're black doesnt change fact. i full puerto rican but i also not only admit but embrace everything black about me. i've never considered it to be 2 separate things. saying "i'm black" flows of my tongue as easily as "i'm puerto rican"... its the same. the only difference from the black people here vs the black people off the islands is our ancestors were forced to speak a different language than english. they were still ripped from their home, still raped and beaten, still forced to conform to anothers social acceptance... instead of working the cotton fields we were working the sugar cane plantations.

black is black really... a dog can say its a cat all they want, but they're no less of a dog

and i know the above has little to nothing to do with the op... i just had to comment on the comment is all

and if any one is interested, i would say to check out this youtuber http://www.youtube.com/user/LaMorenaReina69

and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-qcOqNInQ

all the vids are great and show that we dont all deny that we are black...

LadyRaider

I am positive that black Latinos consider themselves black. Many of them are part of the African diaspora just like us... particularly in South America. They have a lot of the same problems. (Someone mentioned a fan test in Puerto Rico in another thread.)

I'm positive that black Indians (from India) consider themselves black. There's an ugly caste system at play in many countries and black is definitely something that is noted.

I did hear that in Cuba the black Cubans are more favored? Not sure if that's right though.

It's funny because on my sports board, a wide receiver named Alex Torres was called "white." And then a bunch of people said, he's not white, he's hispanic. We were having a similar argument. Here Latinos can't be black. There, Latinos can't be white.

But haven't you ever heard on the category, "white, non-hispanic" on forms?

You better believe there are white and black Latinos.

Pretty Star

This is an old thred so I doubt the OP will come back to clarify, but when she said "black" people with type 1 hair, I thought she was referring to black americans with 2 black parents. If that is the case, then my answer still stands that I have never seeen a black person with type 1 hair. I'm not saying they don't exist but I've just never personally seen it. If by "black", she meant Indians, Brazilians, Latinos, Sri Lankans etc, then yes I can think of some people in those catagories with type 1 hair.

I also see that some people have created a new definition of mixed.Where I come from, mixed means biracial as in you have parents who are of differing races. I acknowledge the fact that many black Americans have some white or American Indian ancestry but to me, the time frame (i.e a hundred years back in the blood line), distance of the relative,lack of abilty to trace (i.e lack of relatives from other races that you know personally and can identify by name) etc does not lend itself to considering them biracial. If your mom is black and your dad is white (or whatever combination) you're biracial. If your great-great-great grand daddy was white, well that is not the same thing. Apparently, to some people it is.

I also noticed, that to some posters there is no such thing as race. I'm not going to get into genetics but I can tell you that the concept of race absolutely exists in society. There are instances in which you will be treated differently as a brown person and there are issues in society that people of color must be aware of (discrimination,racism etc) Not identifying with a race is not going to change the fact that as a person with brown skin in a society that is dominated by people with white skin, it may be harder for you to get a job, or a loan, or a cab , or you may be subjected to cruelty because of your skin color. You will not become immune to these problems because you chose not to identify a race. These problems will exist regardless of how you choose to identify yourself.

Mz.MoMo5235

This is an old thred so I doubt the OP will come back to clarify, but when she said "black" people with type 1 hair, I thought she was referring to black americans with 2 black parents. If that is the case, then my answer still stands that I have never seeen a black person with type 1 hair. I'm not saying they don't exist but I've just never personally seen it. If by "black", she meant Indians, Brazilians, Latinos, Sri Lankans etc, then yes I can think of some people in those catagories with type 1 hair.

I also see that some people have created a new definition of mixed.Where I come from, mixed means biracial as in you have parents who are of differing races. I acknowledge the fact that many black Americans have some white or American Indian ancestry but to me, the time frame (i.e a hundred years back in the blood line), distance of the relative,lack of abilty to trace (i.e lack of relatives from other races that you know personally and can identify by name) etc does not lend itself to considering them biracial. If your mom is black and your dad is white (or whatever combination) you're biracial. If your great-great-great grand daddy was white, well that is not the same thing. Apparently, to some people it is.

I also noticed, that to some posters there is no such thing as race. I'm not going to get into genetics but I can tell you that the concept of race absolutely exists in society. There are instances in which you will be treated differently as a brown person and there are issues in society that people of color must be aware of (discrimination,racism etc) Not identifying with a race is not going to change the fact that as a person with brown skin in a society that is dominated by people with white skin, it may be harder for you to get a job, or a loan, or a cab , or you may be subjected to cruelty because of your skin color. You will not become immune to these problems because you chose not to identify a race. These problems will exist regardless of how you choose to identify yourself.

then by you definition of what's mixed and whats not... latinos would still be black and not mixed. my dad is a black latino, his dad and his mother are black latinos, and from pix, their parents were black latinos... yet there is still a large variation of hair types and eye color... so if you can find a black latino with type 1 hair who's parents and grandparents are black latino... then there are black people with type one hair.

now by no means am i trying to be a smart a$$... but this is the exact point i was trying to make...

its like if you have someone who's black/white, and they marry someone who is black/white. they then have a kid, that kid marries a kid who's also the same mix (both parents) and they have a kid... and so on and so on... now lets do this like 5x... if that kid comes out, lets say, light skinned lets say my complexion) with 3c/4a mix hair, we wouldnt hesitate to call them black. but if the kid came out lets say light skinned (again my complexion) with 1b/2a mixed hair, then they dont count cause they're mixed. i dont like that... we need to claim all of us, we cant pick and choose.

now the indians and the new zealand kids, i can get the point of not being od african blood line (i dont know how true or not true that is). but when we talk about african americans, south americans, and the caribbeans, we're the same people yall, just a different up bringing and a slightly different mix (same africans, different europeans SOMETIMES).

AND I THINK WE ARE OFFICIALLY OFF TOPIC lmao :grin:

Pretty Star

then by you definition of what's mixed and whats not... latinos would still be black and not mixed. my dad is a black latino, his dad and his mother are black latinos, and from pix, their parents were black latinos... yet there is still a large variation of hair types and eye color... so if you can find a black latino with type 1 hair who's parents and grandparents are black latino... then there are black people with type one hair.

now by no means am i trying to be a smart a$$... but this is the exact point i was trying to make...

its like if you have someone who's black/white, and they marry someone who is black/white. they then have a kid, that kid marries a kid who's also the same mix (both parents) and they have a kid... and so on and so on... now lets do this like 5x... if that kid comes out, lets say, light skinned lets say my complexion) with 3c/4a mix hair, we wouldnt hesitate to call them black. but if the kid came out lets say light skinned (again my complexion) with 1b/2a mixed hair, then they dont count cause they're mixed. i dont like that... we need to claim all of us, we cant pick and choose.

now the indians and the new zealand kids, i can get the point of not being od african blood line (i dont know how true or not true that is). but when we talk about african americans, south americans, and the caribbeans, we're the same people yall, just a different up bringing and a slightly different mix (same africans, different europeans SOMETIMES).

AND I THINK WE ARE OFFICIALLY OFF TOPIC lmao :grin:

Actually I personally don't consider Latino's to be black. I consider a Latino to be a person of Hispanic descent. Being of Hispanic descent and being of black American descent are 2 different things to me. Sammy Sosa is a black Latino which is different than Michael Jordan who is a black American. To me. I'm just sharing my opinions based on my personal experiences,culture etc. It's my opinion. I could clarify/expound but then I'd have to go into my own racial background and I don't feel like having that discussion on here.

We are very off topic. I never expected the thred to take this twist. I wish I wouldn't have bumped it.

metro_qt

\
So I guess the bottom line is that those black people in America and Caribbean see themselves as having the same genetic composition as Indians, Sri-Lankans, Guyanese, etc because afterall race is fluid and while Black Africans just didn't get the memo that our genes retained the afro-hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Waiiiiit a second.
*I* am guyanese, and i have the same genetic composition as a *guyanese* because ... that is where i am from!

The indian population you may be referring to came over to south america just as the africans did, so... we, all being born there or descendents of those born there are *all* guyanese.... sooo.... whatever 'genetic makeup' is that of a guyanese is what us black people have too...:rolleyes:

workingonme

I'm sooo not jumping into the defining "Black" or what's possible debates. I will say that one of my brothers is type 1, and my gd and a cousin are type 2. They are not mixed. My brother has always been embarrassed by his straight hair, so he keeps a very low fade.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Wow! This tread has definitely made for interesting reading!

In answer to the OP's original question - yes. Several of my family members have type 1ish hair. And I say "ish" because it may not be completely "stick" straght, but not enough waves to matter. Now, this raises the question as to whether or they would be considered black for the purposes of answering the question. My family, like many of the ladies here, are of afro, latin, indus, asian, euro descent (typical caribbean). Many of these traits are evident in all of us, be it skin, hair or eye color, hair texture or facial features. The only is constant is that we all consider ourselves black - both culturally and racially. Although, it seems, not by the standards of some here - but I dear someone to tell me I ain't black enough! lol

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I've never seen a black person with type 1 hair. My grandma's hair has pretty much gotten straight with age but it still has a wave to it and I wouldn't consider it type 1. I'd like to see an unmixed black person with type 1 hair since it's apparently pretty common. I hate disclaimers but I know how folks are. Unmixed meaning parents or grandparents not of a different race.

soon2bsl

Bumping this thread! My great-great aunt is black and has type 1 hair. She's never had a relaxer and she said her hair has always been straight. She would put rollers in it to have curl when she was younger. She keeps it chin length now.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Poohbear you are causing confusion. :lachen:
It is just genitics.
Now if we are talking about blacks (Africa Americans) they come in all colors and hair types. The reason being is because they are African American. That American peice is what put that type 3 curl into their hair. Be it White, Indian, Arab, or Spainsh, SOMTHING was mixed in that produced this effect.

The truth being I have never seen a full blooded person of the Negroid human race straight out of African (with an ancestory line of full blooded Negroids) with type 1 hair because they are not genitically arranged for straight type 1 hair.
???????????

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Yes...My coworker......She is from Trinidad, and is of Indian (not Native American) but the Country India...descent...But not directly (immediate family)....Her whole family is from the Caribbean, she has a Caribbean Accent, but she explained her ethniciy...She identifies herself as black...eats caribbean and "indian" food a lot....hates American food, though she's been here 20 years....LOL

Both her parents are black, but of Indian Descent also...When you see her it looks like any African American sistah with a relaxer, but she's never had one in her life....She just roller-sets all the time...She cut her hair 2 months ago to SL, but now its already APL...

naturalgyrl5199

^^^^^Ummm....I guess she would be mixed (but she's darker than me!)...though she terribly doesn't look like it...Plus none of her more direct descendants are 100% (East) Indian....For me...she is black....There are lots of black people who don't require a perm to have type 1 hair....even type 2 is a rarity IMO.....Whats the big deal? Either you know someone with perm straight hair or you don't.....(shrug)

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I read somewhere last year that Africans genes have the greatest genetic diversity. That said, I don't think we can say that the reason a Black person has type 1,2,3 hair is because of having a mixed lineage because based on the report, type 1,2, and 3 hair is also an African trait.