SpinOff: How do you choose what salon/stylist to go to...

seeminglysweet

After reading about Denim and Leather's experience, or the fortunate lack of what could have been a bad experience. I got to wondering how others choose where they will go to set salon services and do you think that your method has anything to do with the service you receive.

For example, I would never get my hair done in a mall nor would I just "walk in" someplace hoping that I get a good stylist. I think choosing a stylist is as important as research a new car purchase or applying to college.

What do you think?

Last edited:

inthepink

I agree.

I found my last good stylist by searching the internet and finding a website listing of stylists who did natural hair. I called her up and spoke to her on the phone about my hair and what I wanted to have done before I made an appointment. I was very pleased. The salon was clean and she worked on me from the time I got there till the time I left. She used a Chi iron and heat protectant. She would also ask me my hair goals - if I was more concerned about length or style before she would trim. I only got to visit her twice unfortunately before I found out she no longer worked at the salon. I don't know where she went. :(

~Nigeria~

I chose my salon by two things:
What products they use
Other customers

I prefer a salon that uses Keracare, Mizani, Design Essentials, Paul Mitchell, or Dominican products. More importantly, I chose salons based on other customers/clinets. If I see another woman with her hair on point, I am quick to ask where she got it done and who was her stylist. :)

I chose my last stlyist by just walking into a place and talking to him. He really seemed knowledgeable and confident and so of course I was taking a gamble but I just had to trust my gut and go with it. So far I've only had one service so we will see what happens but so far I am VERY, very pleased. Very professional, no long wait, and my hair looks great.

I was also impressed that they used Keracare products (they had the Mizani and Keracare stickers on their door) and I felt if a salon knew about and used Keracare than they must have a good knowledge of hair.

My other reason for choosing this place was the location. It's so close to my house. Yes a really simple reason however.....

I had good recommendations of two other places but both were so far and its bad enough spending hours in a salon but then having to take two trains, a bus, and a 15 minute walk to get there, is just a pain.

bluediamond0829

I most likely go by word of mouth...friends/coworkers/people that i see with nice hair like mine...

also i pick up flyers when i go into BSS thats how i found my braider but she had too much attitude and i stopped dealing with her after she lied to me last year and said she would do my hair and was always putting me off and missing appointments...it was like a hit or miss thing with her...

also going on LHCF helps by some of the ladies recommendations also...

also products that they use...most i find either use Affirm, Keracare products or Eluence products...

i go into the their shops and i always like to go in and see how the place looks...to make sure its somewhere in a comfortable area outside and inside...try to see how some of the clientele look and if the other stylist are professional and friendly...

i like someone that is professional...not ghetto...

i just had a coworker tell me about this girl that use to do her short hair cuts so she gave me the girls number i call the girl the girl is really rude and has a stank attitude so i definetly wldnot pay money or waste my time go to her....

i like people that are friendly....

my last stylist just moved to GA :( and i just actually took a chance and she started off by doing my sewins and they worked out great....and then i just trusted her to cut and relax my hair and my cut came out the best i ever had...

now i have to find someone that is willing to work with my scheduling and hours and that is into the health of my hair and reaching a goal with me...
which ive found someone like that but because of her hours and my work hours its hard to get to her....i dont know if its a good thing or bad thing to have two stylist or not..or to keep searching until i find a stylist that can work with my work scheduling and hours i need them....