Spirulina vs Chlorella.........

njerannce

Hi ladies, ive been lurking on the chlorella thread for some time now and decided i was going to give chlorella a try. So i went to my local health food store and asked for some chlorella. The man said they didnt sell it but had something called Spirulina. He said this was practically the same as chlorella. Is this true or was he just trying to get a sale? Ive googled it and read a lil about it and it does kinda look like it has the same benefits. Really i just want to know from the people who have/are taking them and if they think one is more benefical than the other. Im looking to take tablets, i cant deal with having to actually taste these green foods :yep:

njerannce

now i know there are alot of ladies taking either chlorella or spirulina so im hoping someone will chime in. I really want to get one of these tommorrow and begin my green journey!

njerannce

I just started on Spirulina yesterday, so I can't comment on its effects just yet. I'll be hoping. I am taking the capsules. There is a whole thread -long thread - on Chlorella. I may get it too..http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=329287

thanks for your reply, it was getting lonely in here! ive read the thread, as i mentioned ive been lurking on it for a while. i just wondered if one had more benefits than the other. i think i might try get one with both, but right now im leaning more to chlorella as more people seem to be taking it. that way i can converse about the effects im having.

AngieB

I took Chlorella for about a month and didn't see any changes...though now I think I didn't take it long enough. I've ordered more and will take in with the Spirulina to see what happens..and this time I'll take it longer..I only need about 3-4 inches to get to BSL which is my goal, I think. Good luck to you.

LiqueXX

Here is a website that gives info on both spirulina and chlorella, the site is listed within the many pages of the Chlorella thread:

http://www.chlorellafactor.com/chlorella-spirulina-11.html

ETA: I am taking both, 6 g of Chlorella and 6 g of Spirulina. I have been doing this for about a month and I do notice better health and hair growth. But I am also taking a MultVit, Hair Vits, and so on.

Last edited:

njerannce

Here is a website that gives info on both spirulina and chlorella, the site is listed within the many pages of the Chlorella thread:

http://www.chlorellafactor.com/chlorella-spirulina-11.html

ETA: I am taking both, 6 g of Chlorella and 6 g of Spirulina. I have been doing this for about a month and I do notice better health and hair growth. But I am also taking a MultVit, Hair Vits, and so on.

oh thanks for the link im reading through it now. i think i might take both also.

tnorenberg

Chlorella is a blue-green algae and Spirulina is a vegetable. They are nothing alike. Not even in nutritive value. There is a thread on Chlorella, I suggest you tune in, albeit a little on the lengthy side. Luckiestdestiny seems to be the LHCF resident expert on Chlorella. You may want to PM her.

SmartyPants

thanks for your reply, it was getting lonely in here! ive read the thread, as i mentioned ive been lurking on it for a while. i just wondered if one had more benefits than the other. i think i might try get one with both, but right now im leaning more to chlorella as more people seem to be taking it. that way i can converse about the effects im having.

A few people are taking them both at the same time. I don't know enough about them to be able to answer your question though. There is a discussion of taking both in the Chlorella thread.

nc cutie

I take both and I have great energy!!! Long nails and lashes-I lost 13 pounds without exercise!! I also have crazy new growth. I dont even take as many grams as some of the other ladies. I am hardly hungry!! And for me thats a miracle! I take each in pill form.
I cant do green powders!! But I will do this for life!! I have family members on it.

mariofmagdal

Chl and Spr compliment each other very nicely. They are very similar, Spr has more protein. Overall, they both contain Chlorophyll, which is the most common factor. Chlorella has more than Spirulina. It has been found that some with thyroid diseases cannot use Spr, research if this applies to you. There are slight differences between the two. The link that has been provided to you is an excellent one and should get you on your way. Chl is the green algae, and Spr has the blue hue added along with its green. The initial posts of the thread should also help as it's all broken down there as well, but if you chime into the thread with any questions you have, most anyone with the answer will gladly chime in. Welcome to a life that's GREEN.

NaniDiamond

I am no expert, but I researched this over the weekend. I discovered they are the same, except the Chlorella is the richest source of chlorophyll, (which is one of the active nutrients ) on the market, so you would get more of the nutrients from it.

I did find out that you should get 3g or 3,000mb of Chlorella, twice a day; and supposedly 3-10g or 3,000 - 10,000mg of Spirulina.

I stay in the health section and read one of those Vitamin/Mineral Health Books, then confirmed what I read on the internet.

Last edited:

mariofmagdal

If you are going to take both, which is quite the norm, the ratio is 2:1. So that's twice the amount of Spirulina, per Chlorella intake. If you take 4g chl, then take 8g Spr. You can work your way into the Spr to watch for your body's reaction, no need to decrease chl intake while introducing Spr.

njerannce

i forgot i even started this thread! anyways i bought spirulina in the powder version and i just hated the taste. i even did the whole holding your nose as i drank it. I actually stopped taking chlorella a while back, just down to pure laziness. ive also been told i have IBS by the doctor (after suffering with it for a while now) so wasnt sure if starting to take the green foods would make matters worse or better. i suppose il only know if i start taking them again.

berryblack

i forgot i even started this thread! anyways i bought spirulina in the powder version and i just hated the taste. i even did the whole holding your nose as i drank it. I actually stopped taking chlorella a while back, just down to pure laziness. ive also been told i have IBS by the doctor (after suffering with it for a while now) so wasnt sure if starting to take the green foods would make matters worse or better. i suppose il only know if i start taking them again.

I've been taking chlorella since february and I also have IBS--there haven't been any problems. I don't take spirulina, though.

adw425

I have been taking both since 2000. The two together are very synergistic. Sometimes I slack on the chlorella, though, but not often. These are my favorite supplements alsong with acai and bee pollen.

*Michelle*

I am no expert, but I researched this over the weekend. I discovered they are the same, except the Chlorella is the richest source of chlorophyll, (which is one of the active nutrients ) on the market, so you would get more of the nutrients from it.

I did find out that you should get 3g or 3,000mb of Chlorella, twice a day; and supposedly 3-10g or 3,000 - 10,000mg of Spirulina.

I stay in the health section and read one of those Vitamin/Mineral Health Books, then confirmed what I read on the internet.

In regards to Chlorophyll, does it have the same benefits? Wonder what is missing since we are intersted in Spirulina and Chlorella but not Chlorophyl?? My mom has three bottles of Chlorophyll in her fridge...I'm thinking I MAY need to make a trip over there and get some. :rolleyes:

Let me go research Chlorophyll...

*Muffin*

I take a teaspoon of spirulina powder everyday and have been doing so for probably 5 or 6 months now. It's good for your immune system and is rich in antioxidants. The reason why I take it is because spirulina is blue-green algae, and sea vegetables are very good for your health. The bottle of Earthrise Spirulina claims that one serving of Spirulina (which is 1 tsp. on the bottle) is equivalent of getting 3-4 servings of vegetables in terms of antioxidant content (B-carotene). It also carries about 30 mg of Chlorophyll and Gamma Linoleic Acid. It contains Potassium, Carotenoids, Iron, and some other things I don't fully know the meaning of, lol.

They could probably be taken together. I'm pretty sure one might have more of one nutrient, but another might have more of another kind of nutrient.

nc cutie

In regards to Chlorophyll, does it have the same benefits? Wonder what is missing since we are intersted in Spirulina and Chlorella but not Chlorophyl?? My mom has three bottles of Chlorophyll in her fridge...I'm thinking I MAY need to make a trip over there and get some. :rolleyes:

Let me go research Chlorophyll...

Check Chlorella out. Its got chlorophyl in it already. It does some much more than chlorophyl.Its a complete food.:yep:

sharifeh

Hi ladies, ive been lurking on the chlorella thread for some time now and decided i was going to give chlorella a try. So i went to my local health food store and asked for some chlorella. The man said they didnt sell it but had something called Spirulina. He said this was practically the same as chlorella. Is this true or was he just trying to get a sale? Ive googled it and read a lil about it and it does kinda look like it has the same benefits. Really i just want to know from the people who have/are taking them and if they think one is more benefical than the other. Im looking to take tablets, i cant deal with having to actually taste these green foods :yep:

any updates?

browniemiss

I take both and I have great energy!!! Long nails and lashes-I lost 13 pounds without exercise!! I also have crazy new growth. I dont even take as many grams as some of the other ladies. I am hardly hungry!! And for me thats a miracle! I take each in pill form.
I cant do green powders!! But I will do this for life!! I have family members on it.

13 pounds without trying? Wowww!!

Taina

Nice someone bump this thread!
I just got Spirulina powder and also pills this week. I just want to know how many times a day are you taking it, and also how many mg per day?

I got a bottle every pill have 450mg and it sais that i have to taje 2 pills with every meal. I did that yesterday, but i felt a little dizzy after takinf them.

SilverSurfer

I use to take the capsule form of Chlorella until I ran out and haven't had a chance to get more. I did order Spirulina powder to try it out and I notice that when I down a glass of one tablespoon of Spirulina, I urinate a lot and feel very light by morning. I think in my experience, I notice a difference with Spirulina than with Chlorella. I take it about every other day but do plan on taking both.