Starting a Healthy Hair Club/Organization (IRL)

preciouslove0x

Hey ladies!! My name is Precious (yes that's my real name). I am 19 years old and I attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (in Chapel Hill, NC). I am originally from Atlanta, GA (I'm an OSS student) and since July of this year I have learned soooooooooo much about healthy hair practices from you ladies it's unbelievable. But just last week when I first came across the thread 'University of Relaxed Hair' (and just recently the University of Natural Hair) it really hit me... I should definitely start a club/organization at my school. I'm still in the process of doing research... how to start... what will i need... are there any other clubs like it.... etc. I'm just soooo tired of walking around my campus and seeing BEAUTIFUL black girls with fried/damaged hair. I know this website is on the internet and accessible to people with internet access. But I have to say it doesn't cross a lot of people's minds to go on the internet and look up 'healthy hair practices' unless they don't have any family or friends to give advice and/or a wig or weave handy to cover it up etc.

I'm going to need a lot of help from you ladies! I promise to give credit where it's due all the time and 100% of the time (that's redundant but I wanted to make an important point). So anyway what do you ladies think??

Once I get all of the 'technical' things worked out: I was thinking about holding it once a week on Thursdays from 7-8:30pm. The first two months (first 8 Thursdays) will be solely 'lessons' (I won't be calling it that, I need a better name). I'll be using a projector and showing them EXACTLY where I get my information from while they have print outs to look over. I know for sure the first lesson will be about 'Truth and Myths'. And the following weeks will be about the basics (moisture/protein balance, proper way to comb/brush, less heat, stretching etc.) I know for a fact I'll include a lesson about ways to go about 'going natural'. I also know that after the first 8 weeks I will begin challenges/competitions similar to the ones found on this board. $10 dues will be required. The dues will go towards prizes for the challenges. I will also provide 'starter kits' for the members for $20. This will definitely be optional. It will include a seemless wide-tooth and fine-tooth comb, a water-based moisturizer (don't know specific yet), a protein condish and a clarifier. I chose these products because most likely they will already have a satin bonnet (some wear them out in public), and a moisture condish. However, I will be taking an actual count of hands to who already has what so I can make adjustments accordingly.

I would definitely want to have guest speakers. Hopefully some of you ladies live in the area??? lol. I want them to see up close and personal how it is to have LONG (that's what will initally draw members in and keep them in the club), HEALTHY AA hair.

Ok this post is getting too long so I'll stop there. Tell me what you think. PLEASE PLEASE give me suggestions. I'm kind of nervous. I've always had leadership roles in clubs but this will definitely be a path, in a way, that's never been treaded. I know I'll start the club at the beginning of the fall semester of 2010 so I have time to put things together. Do you ladies care if I start new threads about the same topic but asking a different question?? Or would you prefer if I PM certain people when I have questions?? Please let me know if I can PM you for suggestions when needed. I really don't want to mess up. I don't want girls at first hating me when they go out in public with a 10 weeks post bun and a cute guy asks "what happened??" I guess I'll have to do a lesson on that too... caring not about what others think, but caring about having healthy hair (any suggestions for a name for that lesson?? :blush: ) lol :drunk:

10 wks post rollerset :yep: (currently going on 13 wks post)

Last edited:

*Muffin*

That's an interesting idea. That would help of black women attain healthier hair.The only suggestion I have would be to make it an overall beauty club or something like that. That way there will be more topics to talk about. You could have subjects of how to get healthier hair and skin from the inside out, you could discuss different salons and practices for attaining healthy skin hair and nails, you could even have books you read monthly that deal with different beauty aspects, but catered to women of color. And trust me, if it's catered to black women, hair will probably be the hot topic of the club ;). IDK, just a suggestion.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Does the name have to be original? You could probably take names from popular movie titles, like B.A.P.S (Beautiful African Princesses) or Black Beauty and you could have the horse be your mascot or something. Corny, I know, but it might be catchy :grin:.

tbaby_8

Hey ladies!! My name is Precious (yes that's my real name). I am 19 years old and I attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (in Chapel Hill, NC). I am originally from Atlanta, GA (I'm an OSS student) and since July of this year I have learned soooooooooo much about healthy hair practices from you ladies it's unbelievable. But just last week when I first came across the thread 'University of Relaxed Hair' (and just recently the University of Natural Hair) it really hit me... I should definitely start a club/organization at my school. I'm still in the process of doing research... how to start... what will i need... are there any other clubs like it.... etc. I'm just soooo tired of walking around my campus and seeing BEAUTIFUL black girls with fried/damaged hair. I know this website is on the internet and accessible to people with internet access. But I have to say it doesn't cross a lot of people's minds to go on the internet and look up 'healthy hair practices' unless they don't have any family or friends to give advice and/or a wig or weave handy to cover it up etc.

I'm going to need a lot of help from you ladies! I promise to give credit where it's due all the time and 100% of the time (that's redundant but I wanted to make an important point). So anyway what do you ladies think??

Once I get all of the 'technical' things worked out: I was thinking about holding it once a week on Thursdays from 7-8:30pm. The first two months (first 8 Thursdays) will be solely 'lessons' (I won't be calling it that, I need a better name). I'll be using a projector and showing them EXACTLY where I get my information from while they have print outs to look over. I know for sure the first lesson will be about 'Truth and Myths'. And the following weeks will be about the basics (moisture/protein balance, proper way to comb/brush, less heat, stretching etc.) I know for a fact I'll include a lesson about ways to go about 'going natural'. I also know that after the first 8 weeks I will begin challenges/competitions similar to the ones found on this board. $10 dues will be required. The dues will go towards prizes for the challenges. I will also provide 'starter kits' for the members for $20. This will definitely be optional. It will include a seemless wide-tooth and fine-tooth comb, a water-based moisturizer (don't know specific yet), a protein condish and a clarifier. I chose these products because most likely they will already have a satin bonnet (some wear them out in public), and a moisture condish. However, I will be taking an actual count of hands to who already has what so I can make adjustments accordingly.

I would definitely want to have guest speakers. Hopefully some of you ladies live in the area??? lol. I want them to see up close and personal how it is to have LONG (that's what will initally draw members in and keep them in the club), HEALTHY AA hair.

Ok this post is getting too long so I'll stop there. Tell me what you think. PLEASE PLEASE give me suggestions. I'm kind of nervous. I've always had leadership roles in clubs but this will definitely be a path, in a way, that's never been treaded. I know I'll start the club at the beginning of the fall semester of 2010 so I have time to put things together. Do you ladies care if I start new threads about the same topic but asking a different question?? Or would you prefer if I PM certain people when I have questions?? Please let me know if I can PM you for suggestions when needed. I really don't want to mess up. I don't want girls at first hating me when they go out in public with a 10 weeks post bun and a cute guy asks "what happened??" I guess I'll have to do a lesson on that too... caring not about what others think, but caring about having healthy hair (any suggestions for a name for that lesson?? :blush: ) lol :drunk:

10 wks post rollerset :yep: (currently going on 13 wks post)

GO TARHEEL!!!!!!

ceebee3

I think it's a nice idea, but I wouldn't join an organization like that.

All the info I need is available online.

Diva_Esq

I recently joined one IRL and I am feeling the same way. Instead of gaining a lot of info, I'm leaps and bounds ahead of some of the other ladies in the club just based on my online information. idk if I'll stay involved. :ohwell:

sheba1

It probably wouldn't be for hair obsessed people like us. We're more likely to be guest speakers at such organizations :lachen::lachen::lachen:

But it's a great idea, OP. Much of the information and inspiration that you gather online can be shared with people who always wanted healthy, longer, fuller, etc hair but didn't think it was possible. There are definitely people out there who've wanted it but wouldn't know there was more that could be done; and therefore wouldn't look for it.