"Stop Deep Conditioning So Much"

Nice

\"Stop Deep Conditioning So Much\"

Ladies, today I went for my weekly wash and set. I was told by the person that does my wash and set (I go somewhere else for a relaxer) that my hair is overconditioned.

I was told that my hair was too elastic and that is because I deep condition my hair every week when I wash it. I was told to deep condition my hair every other week.

I don't know ladies, what do you think? Should I stop deep conditioning every week?

cutebajangirl

Re: \"Stop Deep Conditioning So Much\"

Ughhh NO!
If your hair is to elastic which I am guessing she means too soft. I would do a protein treatment. Is this place busy? Sometimes they want to cut down on what they do to your hair to get you out faster.

AnjelLuvs

I think this is true, you CAN over conditioner your hair, I am struggling with this now where my hair s extremely to soft.

But hey to each's own, I have stopped deep conditioning so much.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Ughhh NO!
If your hair is to elastic which I am guessing she means too soft. I would do a protein treatment. Is this place busy? Sometimes they want to cut down on what they do to your hair to get you out faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already to a protein treatment (Nexxus Emergencee) once a month and I don't want to over dose on the protein.

The place is actually not that busy and I always bring my owm products. She never has a problem putting whatever I bring to salon.

Should I do a protein treatment more often?

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I think this is true, you CAN over conditioner your hair, I am struggling with this now where my hair s extremely to soft.

But hey to each's own, I have stopped deep conditioning so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you deep condition now?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Nope, you can't over condition your hair
--A stylist once told me that there is no such thing. Now, you CAN overdo it with hardcore protein on your hair and I think that's where the term "overconditioning" comes from. But as far as overconditioning with your conditioners--your hair does have a threshold for how much of the conditioner it will absorb or allow onto the cuticle of the hair. (and it's impossible to go beyond that)

cutebajangirl

See that is what I was thinking. How much are you conditioning your hair now Nice? If you are relaxed and say going to the salon weekly, I really can't see how that can be too much. I've never used Emergencee so I can't help you there. I personally alternate between protein and moisture weekly.

Nice

Supergirl,

What do you suggest that I do? My hair is very stretchy and mushy when wet and I was told that it will make the hair break easily.

Please help!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Nice,

please tell me the specific product that you are using to condition your hair each week...

Nice

Girl, I alternate products so much I don't even know where to begin. I will list all my staple products though

Shampoos:
CON
KeraCare 1st Lather (for clarifying)
KeraCare Dry Itchy Scalp

Conditioners:
KeraCare Humecto
Salerm Wheat Germ Oil Mask

Nexxus Humectress (I have use this for a while, but I will stop..not that crazy about it).
Nexxus Emergencee
Mizani MoistureFuse (I don't use that too often..I am just waiting for the bottle to finish)

Leave-ins:
KeraCare

inthepink

I thought elasticity was a good thing?? But "too soft" is a bad thing. Hmm...

Nice

Elasticity is a good thing but I guess too much of anything is never good.

Angelicus

i dont understand how you can over-condition with the products you are using
she's just lazy and didn't want to give you a treatment.

Lovelylocs

I don't get it either.
HOw can hair have too much elasticity? What does that look like? BTW, how does this stylists hair look? DO you think she is misinformed or a jealous hater?

AnjelLuvs

say u do a deep conditioner, every 2-3 days like I was doing, your hair can become too soft and have no weight to it, some might like this but me, i dont, maybe I notice it more because I have thin hair.

Devi

I condition deep condition every 2-3 days unless I'm lazy... my hair is soft, but believe me it has lots of weight to it. Though my hair is very thick.

I think that what supergirl said makes sense. How much conditioner can a hair absorb? After it's "filled up" it just won't absorb anything anymore.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
I condition deep condition every 2-3 days unless I'm lazy... my hair is soft, but believe me it has lots of weight to it. Though my hair is very thick.

I think that what supergirl said makes sense. How much conditioner can a hair absorb? After it's "filled up" it just won't absorb anything anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, especially for relaxed hair. I deep condition every 3 days and my hair loves it.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

I would recommend that you don't use the Emergencee too often. In fact--save it for Emergencies only.
Invest in a milder protein treatment to use monthly like you are doing with the Emergencee. Nexxus Keraphix would be excellent since you seem to like that line.

I would do a major conditioning weekly and then just a simple conditioning between your major ones each week. I also recommend that you clarify monthly.

I have used ALL of the products on your list (except Emergencee) and I don't know of any of them that would make your hair too soft and I have known products that have made my hair too soft. Maybe you have soft water

cutebajangirl

I understand when you say it feels like mush. In my experience that means that my hair is weak (I'm double processed) so I usually use protein. I think that by not deep conditioning the stands feel a bit rougher and that can fool you into thinking they are stronger bit it isn't necessarily the same thing. Good luck.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
Ladies, today I went for my weekly wash and set. I was told by the person that does my wash and set (I go somewhere else for a relaxer) that my hair is overconditioned.

I was told that my hair was too elastic and that is because I deep condition my hair every week when I wash it. I was told to deep condition my hair every other week.

I don't know ladies, what do you think? Should I stop deep conditioning every week?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair maybe over coated with products and needs a good shampoo to build the build up. However, over conditioning... I haven't ever heard of that, but I will check into it.

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
What do you suggest that I do? My hair is very stretchy and mushy when wet and I was told that it will make the hair break easily.

[/ QUOTE ] I was told by my stylist that you can overcondition your hair, and that it feels just as you described. I dunno

deborah11

If you are relaxed and your hair is soft and mushy, your hair is probably overprocessed. i know because this is how my hair was when it was overprocessed by a relaxer. In this case, if u are overrpocessed, you will need to condition well and use a deep protein conditioner at least twice a month, and a light protein weekly when u wash your hair. You may also want to lay of the relaxer for a while to give your hair a chance to recuperate from the damage. this helped my hair a lot.

Nice

[ QUOTE ]
deborah11 said:
If you are relaxed and your hair is soft and mushy, your hair is probably overprocessed. i know because this is how my hair was when it was overprocessed by a relaxer. In this case, if u are overrpocessed, you will need to condition well and use a deep protein conditioner at least twice a month, and a light protein weekly when u wash your hair. You may also want to lay of the relaxer for a while to give your hair a chance to recuperate from the damage. this helped my hair a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hairstylist told me that my hair stretches too much when wet. Is that a sign that it is overprocessed?

Kalani

Supergirl brings up an interesting point about the water. I deep condition the heck out of my hair but you wouldn't know cause my water is so hard and loaded with heavy minerals that just weighs the hair down! I have to clarify because of water as well as product build up!

Karonica

I'm sorry, but I do believe that there can be such a thing.

My hair is very soft now since bleaching, and it gets even softer after applying conditioner and overdoing the conditioner is out of the question. I don't like how it feels at all, kinda slimey. I know slip is a good thing, but I don't want my hair feeling so soft - like melting mush.

So, I'm not ruling out the possibility, particularly if the hair is bone straight.

Falon

Maybe it is your leave-in that is making your hair feel mushy. I had to seriously cut down on using the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk-Touch Leave-in. It was causing my hair to feel exactly like you have been descrbing. It felt like mush when it was wet and very soft to the touch when it was dry.

I deep conditiioned 1-2 times per week and I haven't had a problem with hair feeling overly soft as a result. I clarified and went backt to my regular leave in and my hair feels fine now.

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I'm sorry, but I do believe that there can be such a thing.

My hair is very soft now since bleaching, and it gets even softer after applying conditioner and overdoing the conditioner is out of the question. I don't like how it feels at all, kinda slimey. I know slip is a good thing, but I don't want my hair feeling so soft - like melting mush.

So, I'm not ruling out the possibility, particularly if the hair is bone straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. When I leave conditioner on for too long, my hair gets too soft and doesn't hold a curl well. I hate it like that! That's the reason I don't deep condition b/c I don't feel I need to. I bought the salerm Wheat germ conditioner this wknd, and even though I love the way my hair felt when i rinsed it out, I don't like how "whispy" and soft it feels now. I think I just need to leave it on for just a minute then rinse it right out.

Maybe you should just deep condition once a month? Do you really feel like you HAVE to do it every wk?