"Stop Deep Conditioning So Much"

Karonica

Re: \"Stop Deep Conditioning So Much\"

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
Maybe it is your leave-in that is making your hair feel mushy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. In the beginning, it felt mushy when rinsing out the conditioner. I don't even need a leave-in anymore, to tell you the truth. I just use the Profectiv Break-Free creme if I want to put something in it.

Allandra

I do deep conditionings once a month (mild protein conditioner with heat). When I use my regular ole moisturizing conditioners, I like to keep them on my hair for 3 to 5 minutes (with no heat) because they work best on my hair this way.

I'm not sure if deep conditioning too much could be a bad thing, but like Karonica, I wouldn't rule it out.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I'm sorry, but I do believe that there can be such a thing.

My hair is very soft now since bleaching, and it gets even softer after applying conditioner and overdoing the conditioner is out of the question. I don't like how it feels at all, kinda slimey. I know slip is a good thing, but I don't want my hair feeling so soft - like melting mush.

So, I'm not ruling out the possibility, particularly if the hair is bone straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. When I leave conditioner on for too long, my hair gets too soft and doesn't hold a curl well. I hate it like that! That's the reason I don't deep condition b/c I don't feel I need to. I bought the salerm Wheat germ conditioner this wknd, and even though I love the way my hair felt when i rinsed it out, I don't like how "whispy" and soft it feels now. I think I just need to leave it on for just a minute then rinse it right out.

Maybe you should just deep condition once a month? Do you really feel like you HAVE to do it every wk?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I have 4b relaxed and when I first started condition washes 2 times a week, I would follow each with a deep condition using my holy grail humectress. After the 2nd week of this, my hair hair was soooo limp that it would not hold a curl and had zero bounce. I stopped doing that 2nd conditioning and would just CW using a "light" conditioner (suave, vo5, etc) followed by ACV and rollerset with leavein -- hair "came back" with bounce and movement (plus I save tons of time!). I now only deep condition about once a month, if that.

Also, if the "conditioner" is a protein, definately can overdo to the point what hair is hard and brittle, at least for my hair.

dannie

I've over conditioned my hair using a spray in product. I did notice that it would break too easily if I accidently pulled a hair. But maybe it's because I wasn't doing enough protein treatments. I think as long as you balance with protein you'll be fine.

melodee

I think if your doing daily CW (or even every two to three days), you should not need a deep conditioner as often. Some daily CW's don't ever deep condition because their hair is usually moisturized enough.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:

My hair is very soft now since bleaching, and it gets even softer after applying conditioner and overdoing the conditioner is out of the question. I don't like how it feels at all, kinda slimey. I know slip is a good thing, but I don't want my hair feeling so soft - like melting mush.

So, I'm not ruling out the possibility, particularly if the hair is bone straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. When I leave conditioner on for too long, my hair gets too soft and doesn't hold a curl well. I hate it like that! That's the reason I don't deep condition b/c I don't feel I need to. I bought the salerm Wheat germ conditioner this wknd, and even though I love the way my hair felt when i rinsed it out, I don't like how "whispy" and soft it feels now. I think I just need to leave it on for just a minute then rinse it right out.

Maybe you should just deep condition once a month? Do you really feel like you HAVE to do it every wk?

[/ QUOTE ]

I too had a stylist to tell me that too conditioning would make my hair too soft and mushy. She stated that my hair was a soft hair like hers and that too much conditioning wasn't a good thing for our hair.

So, I would think some heads of hair are more effected by conditioning than others and you have to listen to your hair to tell what your hair needs are.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Wouldn't you want soft and elastic hair??? What's wrong with hair that's too soft or too elastic? Isn't it more manageable and moveable that way??

dannie

It tends to break way too easily if it's over conditioned. Just like too much protein. I don't mind the softness it gave me though.

Nice

Thank you all for your responses.

BTW, I only wash my hair once a week, I always deep condition and use a leave-in. I don't do CW at all, so I don't understand how this happened. I hate my hair...it seems that no matter what I do something always go wrong. I sometimes feel like giving a stylist (a really good one that I trust) complete control over my hair (except for trimming
).

Should I see a trichologist? If so, can you guys recommend one in New York?

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Wouldn't you want soft and elastic hair??? What's wrong with hair that's too soft or too elastic? Isn't it more manageable and moveable that way??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's limp and fragile.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
Ladies, today I went for my weekly wash and set. I was told by the person that does my wash and set (I go somewhere else for a relaxer) that my hair is overconditioned.

I was told that my hair was too elastic and that is because I deep condition my hair every week when I wash it. I was told to deep condition my hair every other week.

I don't know ladies, what do you think? Should I stop deep conditioning every week?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if too soft or too elastic hair is limp and fragile...If your hair is NOT color-treated, then maybe u shouldn't deep condition once a week.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
[ QUOTE ]
deborah11 said:
If you are relaxed and your hair is soft and mushy, your hair is probably overprocessed. i know because this is how my hair was when it was overprocessed by a relaxer. In this case, if u are overrpocessed, you will need to condition well and use a deep protein conditioner at least twice a month, and a light protein weekly when u wash your hair. You may also want to lay of the relaxer for a while to give your hair a chance to recuperate from the damage. this helped my hair a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hairstylist told me that my hair stretches too much when wet. Is that a sign that it is overprocessed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damage hair can = poor elasticity can = hair stretches too much when wet. Here is a quote taken from a site previously posted by SoulChild:

[ QUOTE ]
Test the elasticity of your hair. Hair elasticity is a very important factor to consider when giving a hair straightening/Thermal Reconditioning treatment. All hair is elastic, but its elasticity ranges from very good to poor. Hair with very good elasticity will produce resilient straightness. Hair with fairly good elasticity will produce slightly less than average resilient straightness. Hair with poor elasticity, also known as limp hair, will result in a very small amount of resiliency of straightness. If the keratin molecular make up exhibits above average percent elongation or elasticity (allowing the fibers to stretch too much) the hair will not be resilient. Under No circumstances should chemical services be given when the hair is in this range.

Hair will change its elasticity from time to time. Usually, porous hair loses its elasticity faster than non-porous hair. This change may be temporary due to humidity and temperature, the type of shampoo used, the amount of hair spray/gels used, and drying action of wind and sun.

Signs of poor elasticity: When the hair is wet, it feels spongy, limp, tangles easily and stretches excessively without returning to its normal position. The most common cause of this serious condition is chemical services such as color, highlight, permanent straightener/TR either given improperly or too often, or both. Elasticity damage can also be caused by brushing wet hair—stretching the hair beyond its limit. The elasticity qualities of hair will determine the rate of success in permanent hair straightening/TR.

Take a single dry hair and hold it between your thumb and forefinger of the other hand. Slowly stretch it between them. The further it can be stretched without breaking, the more elastic is the hair. If elasticity is good, the hair slowly contracts after stretching. Hair with poor elasticity will break quickly and easily when stretched. The hair must be acclimatized for 12 hours before running the test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question for anyone: Would this type of hair need more moisturizing conditioning tx, protein type tx, both or other?

cutebajangirl

I would give it a protein treatment followed by just enought moisturizing conditioner to getthe strand smooth again.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I would give it a protein treatment followed by just enought moisturizing conditioner to getthe strand smooth again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree. While continuing to probe that site I found this:

[ QUOTE ]
Know Your Hair & Products

Hair treatment and care: The hair in order to be reconditioned properly needs to have the vital elements that have been eliminated by daily abuse. A protein-based formula of the correct molecular weight and size range builds strength into hair to improve the way it responds to chemical services. A moisturizing-based formula softens and adds flexibility.

Hair, when it looses many of its protein parts through combing, brushing, heat styling and chemical services becomes “tired” (loose protein) and must be fed with protein and moisturizers to replenish the supply. If this “food” (protein) is not present, the hair becomes badly damaged “sick”, no bounce, brittle and dry. Grooming products such as shampoos and conditioners used on the hair are an important indicator as to whether you are using properly formulated products of a proper pH value. Certain types of formulations or products of highly alkaline pH may cause chemical damage to the hair when used over a period of time.

Healthy hair should have a moisture content of nine to eleven percent. This gives the hair pliability that it needs to hold a style and lubricates the interior layers of the hair so it has bounce and body. Moisture imbalance happens when the cuticle is damaged. The hair can have too much or too little moisture, that of too little is more common. The most common cause of moisture damage is thermal styling. Dryness is also a side effect of chemical services. Chemical service that alters the cortex may cause protein loss, protein loss almost never occurs without moisture loss.

Curly hair has an abundance of strength (protein) but lack in moisture (less elastic). This interrelationship causes naturally curly hair to be disproportioned, making the hair feel dry and brittle. Therefore, the shampoo must put moisture into the hair, and it should be followed-up with a detangling conditioner, and a moisturizing protein treatment.

When the hair is found to be in a structurally incompetent condition, it must be “reconditioned” to take the hair from an undesirable state to a more cosmetically pleasing one. With proper reconditioning you can virtually alter the properties of the hair cortex by altering its compactness—thus making it stronger and more flexible. I always feel that we treat the damage first and moisturize or "seal" second.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the above info is true, I would think to give hair that is already in need of protein more moisturizing contitioner alone wouldn't help to better the situation. In that case I would think you would be over conditioning the hair.

Nice

You ladies have done your research

Thanks again!

queenofmean68

I'm not sure how long your stylist has been caring for you hair, but if you have been seeing her for sometime; she is probably right about the condition of your hair. You CAN overcondition it and I'm guessing your hair is very porus. I have porus hair as well and I had the same problem you have a few years ago. Instead of deep conditioning every week, alternate between a mild protein(to rebuild strength) and a moisturizing conditioner. But make sure you start with a good protein conditioner. Nexxus Emergencee is a good one.

[ QUOTE ]
Nice said:
Supergirl,

What do you suggest that I do? My hair is very stretchy and mushy when wet and I was told that it will make the hair break easily.

Please help!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Donda

I've noticed with my hair it is better for me to condition every other week. I use a neutralizing shampoo for my 1st wash and CON shampoo for my second, actually I think it acts more like a conditioning wash. As the bottle says I don't need a separate conditioner afterward. Once I started using CON and conditioning with the CON conditioner every other week my hair stop snapping when it was wet.

Most of my conditioning comes from the "Oils" that I use on my hair. I usually load it down with Organic's Root Stimulator's Olive Oil Lotion when it is still wet then blow it dry.

I also use African Pride Braid Spray (which has gylcerin) as a leave in. I should note that I don't really use protein conditioning treatments, although CON does have some protein in it already.

But that's what works for me.

**Tasha*Love**

queenofmean is right. When your hair is POROUS, it can be overconditioned. About 2 months ago I posted a thread regarding the conditioner Porosity Control. This was the only thing that seemed to help because my hair was also mushy when wet and soft when dry w/breakage because of the softness. The key is to use the correct amounts of protein and moisturing conditioners.

GodMadeMePretty

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I say something that has already been said.

It's not possible to overcondition the hair. HOWEVER, it is possible for the hair to absorb all that it can absorb and the rest of the conditioner will just sit there on top feeling all soft but useless. It will make your hair hard to style. You need to clarify to get rid of the build-up. That's what it is. Just as regular styling products can build-up and feel yucky. A conditioner can build-up and feel super soft.

Your problem could be as simple as clarifying and not deep conditioning so often. No clarifying=build-up. So before you say your hair is overprocessed, too porous, or too elastic, give it a good clarifying and then see how it reacts.

HTH!

asummertyme

maybe i deep condition too much...my hair is too soft also..its annoying because i can never hold a style. maybe i will try to only deep condition 1x a month...

adrienne0914

i agree with queenofmean. i really do think it's possible to overcondition... or maybe i should say too much moisture, not enough protein. i'd also alternate between mild protein one week and moisturizing the other. i personally haven't deep conditioned in over a year, but that's just me... lazy as H-E-double hockeysticks!

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
i personally haven't deep conditioned in over a year, but that's just me... lazy as H-E-double hockeysticks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, when you have hair like yours, you can afford to be lazy with the deep conditioning!!
It sure doesn't seem to be setting you back any!!

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
i personally haven't deep conditioned in over a year, but that's just me... lazy as H-E-double hockeysticks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, when you have hair like yours, you can afford to be lazy with the deep conditioning!!
It sure doesn't seem to be setting you back any!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i know thats right

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I too had a stylist to tell me that too conditioning would make my hair too soft and mushy. She stated that my hair was a soft hair like hers and that too much conditioning wasn't a good thing for our hair.

So, I would think some heads of hair are more effected by conditioning than others and you have to listen to your hair to tell what your hair needs are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: My hair was considered soft by the stylist during a time when I was getting my hair steamed weekly.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, on outing day I stopped by one of Dudley's Beauty Schools/College. I was advised not to use it more that once every 2 weeks so not to make my hair mushy soft which is not a good thing. She assessed my hair and said it was fine. 1x a week for these past weeks hasn't been a negative thing but I will be careful....

[/ QUOTE ]

The above quote was referring to steam treatments (an alternative way of deep conditioning).

Tracy

I think you can certainly overmoisturize the hair.

If your hair feels mushy I would add more protein to your regime and lay off the moisturizing conditioners for now. I believe very much that one can overcondition the hair whether it's with protein or moisture. I think striking a healthy balance for your hair is what's most important.

greAtness333

...God forbid I had overmoisturized hair.
I wouldn't know anything about this but I would go with everyone else's advice and add more protein to your regimen.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!

interesting...whenever I think of "mushy" hair the first thing that comes to mind is product build-up...not over conditioning. When hair has product build up, it tends to have the lifeless, dull, "mushy" feeling to it. Like Supergirl said, I don't think the hair can be overconditioned. I deep condition my hair every 4/5 days with DE's Stimulations for about 3-5 minutes. That's perfect for me.