Stove Flatirons Yay or Nay?

MsBoinglicious

Any of you use stove flatirons?

I have been looking at the Milstan Thermal Flatirons for a while now but I dunno, I never really see anyone on here talking about them (any stove flatirons in general). Is it because they cause more damage, hard technique to learn or because people fear burning themselves? lol

After watching her video...boy did she made it look so easy? And her hair came out nice.:yep:

[video=youtube;fPK-8DM9b7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPK-8DM9b7E[/video]

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I remember talk about the milstan on here, and one lady suggested just using an temp-controlled oven. :yep: This was maybe last year, but I do remember having difficultly finding one online, but I don't doubt that they exist.

I'm really interested in the milstan too, and I think you'll be fine with a good heat protectant.

I would love the answer to this as well because if i there is a way to use the milstan without heat damage, im all for it!

HECK no I would be way to scared to burn myself. With my flat iron, I can lay the flat iron on my scalp to get as close to my roots as possible and I won't burn. I'd burn myself for sure with that. I'll leave stove irons and pressing to my stylist and my mom. Her results are great tho.

I used a stove iron all through college. I stopped when I bought a Sedu, the Sedu is the best ever, I'll never go back to a stove flat iron.

Her hair looks really nice. She did make it look really simple. I've been wondering about getting a stove flatiron too instead of the Maxiglide.

^^Do it! And then hide it from the perp who broke the last one. lol. Another thing is, it's so much faster with the Sedu, IDK why but it took so much longer to flat iron with the stove flat iron.

Beautiful results. I want to learn to use the stove and marcels...Does anyone know how to learn to work the handles? Any tutorials out there? I really really want this.

This is what i miss most when I stopped going to african american salons.

Her hair looks gorgeous but I'll leave that up to the professionals. I'd be too scared I'd burn myself so I'll stick with my maxiglide and my hana elite.

okay, just found tutorials on youtube. I'll have to purchase and practice.

Once I get this down, you won't be able to tell me NOTHING!

Oh, yeah, I still need to learn how to do a Dominican blow-out. *looks around*

Beautiful results. I want to learn to use the stove and marcels...Does anyone know how to learn to work the handles? Any tutorials out there? I really really want this.

This is what i miss most when I stopped going to african american salons.

Hmm I can try to figure out a vid cause I know how to work my marcels...

And I still stick to the wonderful straightness you get from them but it's toooo risky for me! I got straight pieces that wouldn't revert and I'm not cutting my hair again.

Any of you use stove flatirons?

I have been looking at the Milstan Thermal Flatirons for a while now but I dunno, I never really see anyone on here talking about them (any stove flatirons in general). Is it because they cause more damage, hard technique to learn or because people fear burning themselves? lol

After watching her video...boy did she made it look so easy? And her hair came out nice.:yep:

What do you guys think?

It's a hard technique to learn correctly and scalp burns are a real hazard. These aren't like today's electric flat irons where even a child can pick them up and use them. If you burn yourself in the same area eventually the hair will stop growing (I know people it's happened to). I see lots of comments online worried about heat damage - hair that grows back but burn your scalp badly enough and your hair won't come back. I grew up with the old fashioned tools and we used the stove top but I never did my own hair and I wouldn't diy using them even today. She makes it look easy coz she's very experienced. It's not so easy if you're a beginner. Beautiful results though.

Yay...The featherflat is great and I am a natural 4a/b. Great results without damaging my hair. Hair bling and movement just like a fresh relaxer can be obtained by the featherflat as illustrated on the video. One word of caution is that I would strongly recommend getting a stove with a temperature guage so that you can control the amount of heat applied to the hair...

I bought I stove and iron 2 years ago and eventually used it last week. Even though I found it worked better than an electric flat iron, my hair came out really poofy so I need to make some changes to what I was doing. Higher Heat? Different heat protector? Perhaps a different Flat Iron? Found it awkward to use at the beginning but by the end, it was ok.

The stove used was Golden Supreme Elite Deluxe Stove | mica-beauty a bargain from Ebay. Temeperture was set at 8.

I got my hands on a small Annie Bevelled Flat Iron at the same time and used it, but after doing a bit of research beforehand, I have my eye on a Feather Flat Iron.

No thank you. I have no real reason why--I'm just scuurred of those things. Leave it to a professional.

Thanks ladies!

EmpressRi Imma need you to make a video using your stove flatirons. Even if its just showing us how to properly hold the tool in our hands.

I think this might be a good christmas present for my hair this year!

Thanks ladies!

EmpressRi Imma need you to make a video using your stove flatirons. Even if its just showing us how to properly hold the tool in our hands.

I think this might be a good christmas present for my hair this year!

girl i will NOT put those things to my hair now!! but id surely hold it and show you ;)

empressri so what is better at straightening? The stove iron or the flat irons? Cuz if I can get those results with a flat iron, I'm game. If I can get those results with the milstan without heat damage, I'm game too

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll back in the day I used use a curling iron with handles like the marcel. I don't remember it being a long learning curve. I used think I was the bomb diggidy clicking my curling iron. :lachen: Maybe you should get one of those doll heads to practice on.

MsLizziA when I look back on it the best hair dresser I ever had used the stove irons. Of course she has great technique and healthier practices as well. I get a better press from the stove than the electric. And I feel like the not so great stylist that used the stove got a better result because of the iron.

I would love to buy that milstan but that is big investment for me right now. I would have to buy the iron and the stove. And there is no way I would trust myself to use it without the temperature tester. That's almost $400.

I did see a similar iron through that company Kizure for cheaper. I wonder how they compare.

funny enough, hot combs work better for me than ANY flat iron has (ive had super cheap ones to the Sedu that i currently own). mostly because i havent had a comb on my blow dryer since i was 6. the hot comb kills 2 birds with one stone without crunching down my ends. the rounded edge just smooths everything down. im kicking myself for having this epiphany now because i just threw mine away because i wasnt using it. I figured i'd just get the right setting on the sedu to make my hair like the pictures eventually

Somone used an oven on my two years ago. I liked that it was shiny and straight but after a few days I could smell my hair--and it didn't smell like roses and apricots. I haven't done it since. I stick to flat irons now.

Back