STRANGE Hair Encounter on the Train today :o\

BlackMasterPiece

So I'm sitting on the train coming back from my favorite shoe shop and this white girl gets on, I'm sitting facing the doors so she zeroes in on me as soon as she walks in and she goes OMG I LOVE your hair! The curls are too cute (at that moment I pulled out my iphone headphones and was like aww how sweet "thanks") I guess she took my paying atention as an invitation because she quickly said hope ya don't mind! Can I just boing one! and abruptly reached RIGHT into my crochet braided hair and thank goodness she only touched my hair toward the ends and felt my curls and she was like thats sooo nice...then she got reeeaal chatty and a little too comfortable with me:rolleyes:

Girl: ya know my mom is actually half black and jewish and she has curly hair like that too....but it gets really nappy and crazy on her so she just flaunts her curls at me all the time and I'm like my hair doesn't do that...wish it did!!!!

Me: :perplexed:ohwell::look: *forced smile*

Girl: rambles some more and goes anywhooo I just wanted to say I LOVE your curls!

Me: thaaaanks:look:

I got off the train shortly after that and told her have a great day and was like wow lmao...wierd! but I do live in NYC so nothing should really surprise me at this point lmao:lachen:

sheba1

What you just experienced, my friend, was indeed an odd moment. It was the complete opposite of the weave check! Sounds like she thought the curls were yours. Would have knocked her for a loop to know that your hair is way longer than your crochet curls :lol:

Gotta love the chatty New Yorkers... :look: they are rare thank goodness

Nubenap22

Lmao I thoght peopl mostly stay to themselves on the train? They did when I was in NYC a few weeks ago but she had to touch!!!! She would have gotten the stink eye!!!

JJamiah

That was interesting, I wouldn't take it anyway, just sometimes when people want to give a complement they don't know how to just keep it at "your hair looks great".
They feel a need to say extra. Beat around the bush my dad would say. LOL! Babbling I would say!!!

But your hair looks great nonetheless your going to get mucho attencion!

BlackMasterPiece

LOL!!:lol: great point! the other new yorkers on the train were looking on like why is she talking to a sranger:look::ohwell::rofl:

I wonder if she was a tourist? lol

I could tell she was a sweet girl and she definitely thought this was all me but it was the way she went about it so abrupt....I was like wow lol and I'm usually fine with people touching my hair because its usually all mine but now that I have this in I'm beginning to understand why sista's with weaves are so famous for the dip and dodge when you try to touch our heads:lachen:

Taina

OMG i just have to say that anytime i see something i like (hair, shoes, clothes) i'm always like : "Oh i love your <enter item here>" i don't go and touch, but i have to say that i'm very spontaneous, and someone doing the same seems very cute to me.

BlackMasterPiece

^ Yea pretty much everything about it was fine and even a little cute....I guess it was when she said the word nappy that in my head I was like errrm.....why?:ohwell: lol but she was cute.....probably just didn't know any better...

HauteHippie

^ Yea pretty much everything about it was fine and even a little cute....I guess it was when she said the word nappy that in my head I was like errrm.....why?:ohwell: lol but she was cute.....probably just didn't know any better...

That's funny that you say that b/c my Jewish friends say their hair is "nappy" sometimes. So, being that her mother is Jewish and Black, she may have heard "nappy" quite a few times and might not connect it to any particular race. I didn't even know nappy was a "bad" word for a long time, though it's not something that pops out often. It just doesn't come up in everyday conversation.... I was very happy in my ignorance. Very. Happy.

On another note, I'm from SC and I'm in NYC a bit. Yep, I talk to much to strangers. I don't touch...but I will talk. When I'm not afraid.

NikkiGirl

This would make me feel uncomfortable. I don't like people touching me I don't know and I don't think its acceptable. Keep your your hands to yourself. This guy at work actually touched my hair and then had the nerve to say he just wanted to see how it feels. I told him he better not touch me again. That's just me, a little weird about my personal space.

mariofmagdal

Sounds like you ran into one of my cousins! LMBO! Seriously, I have a few cousins in NYC, that don't have the sense of a bat that fit the person you described!

You handled it well. ;0)

Eritreladiee

Haha, that's adorable how she asked to boing one of your curls. I've had people I don't know do it without warning :spinning: But with those boingy curls you got can we really blame her? You did an amazing job on your hair by the way.

Yeah, and I know what you mean about the word nappy...I've had white women refer to my hair as such and I know they didn't mean harm by it, but it still kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

kiesha8185

That's funny that you say that b/c my Jewish friends say their hair is "nappy" sometimes. So, being that her mother is Jewish and Black, she may have heard "nappy" quite a few times and might not connect it to any particular race. I didn't even know nappy was a "bad" word for a long time, though it's not something that pops out often. It just doesn't come up in everyday conversation.... I was very happy in my ignorance. Very. Happy.

On another note, I'm from SC and I'm in NYC a bit. Yep, I talk to much to strangers. I don't touch...but I will talk. When I'm not afraid.

One of my caucasian friends uses nappy to describe her hair as well. She has a huge head of blonde, unruly aggressively curly hair :drunk: It's so curly that when she didn't comb it thoroughly daily, it would dred up by her nape :perplexed Her mother was continuously cutting out locks of hair because my friend just didn't want to comb her hair, she said it was too much work :look:

I guess she took my paying atention as an invitation because she quickly said hope ya don't mind! Can I just boing one!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: That is too cute!

DirtyJerzeyGirly

"BLack" your hair is gorgeous so I'm not suprised she was in awe of your hair! You know how most 2520's are about our hair! She definately isn't from the North with that touching. I'm from Jersey I know how it goes down lol.

Whimsy

LMAO masterpiece!!!
love it!!!

Question: why is it that all the wierd hair moments in NYC happen on the train..???
Subways are breeding grounds for wacky moments....i dunno what it is!

tailormade84

YES--that would happen all day in Houston LOL!

I bet she was from Texas. I could see myself doing that. :)

:laugh: I thought that was kinda cute

I was just thinking "man it must have been a looooonnngg time since i been to NYC because i dont see a think wrong with what she did" :lachen:in fact i know of a girl i work with that would do just that same thing to me - i've learned that's their way of being sweet :grin:

Dominican09

BMP be careful who touches your hair/head...not everybody have good intentions...:lol: I'm superstitious when it comes to that. ;)

beans4reezy

Her using the word nappy would have had my ears perk up too. But she sounds quirky; like she doesn't know any better.

LadyPaniolo

Oh man, she definitely isn't from around here, :lachen: I remember when I was in Mississippi, folks would just be all up in my space like everything was gravy... :nono: I was ready to climb the walls to get away from them! I felt like the cat in those Pepe Lepeu cartoons!

rufus12

Girl, I'm in NYC also, and I believe a lot of people are not working with"all four burners" especially on the train every day is a show!
LOL

BostonMaria

I'm reading and I gasped, pushed my head back as if it happened to me LMAO

I never used to be afraid of germs but now I am. Ewwww!!! I don't mind people touching my hair or giving me compliments, but I would like a chance to say "yes" before they snatch a curl.