Straying From Staple Hair Care Regimen

Cholet112

Since joining the board I have been introduced to so many new products that its insane for a PJ like me. Well i was a die hard KeraCare fan and I stuck to my guns for a while. But all these raves about dominican products had me with the shakes (gotta buy gotta buy). Well I did and I was in awe of how my hair felt.......at first. I used Nacidit Olive Oil Shampoo and Conditioner and I just knew I was going to retire the KeraCare forever. Well after a few weeks my hair stop responding and became dry and brittle. I mean I was moisture/sealing 2x per day and still I didnt even recognize the hair on my head. So something said go back to KeraCare. Well I just shampoo'd with Hydrating Shampoo, and DC'd with the Moisturizing Conditioner for Color Treated hair and man it was like the Hallelujah Chorus when I rinsed out the conditioner. I mixed some NTM leave-in w/ KeraCare leave-in and the comb just glided through my hair. Needless to say my hair was like "Girl what took you so long???"

Ok, i said all that to ask have you ever strayed from your staples to try something new and what was your outcome? And did you return to your staples?

Cholet

MzOptimistic

Cholet112 said:
Since joining the board I have been introduced to so many new products that its insane for a PJ like me. Well i was a die hard KeraCare fan and I stuck to my guns for a while. But all these raves about dominican products had me with the shakes (gotta buy gotta buy). Well I did and I was in awe of how my hair felt.......at first. I used Nacidit Olive Oil Shampoo and Conditioner and I just knew I was going to retire the KeraCare forever. Well after a few weeks my hair stop responding and became dry and brittle. I mean I was moisture/sealing 2x per day and still I didnt even recognize the hair on my head. So something said go back to KeraCare. Well I just shampoo'd with Hydrating Shampoo, and DC'd with the Moisturizing Conditioner for Color Treated hair and man it was like the Hallelujah Chorus when I rinsed out the conditioner. I mixed some NTM leave-in w/ KeraCare leave-in and the comb just glided through my hair. Needless to say my hair was like "Girl what took you so long???"

Ok, i said all that to ask have you ever strayed from your staples to try something new and what was your outcome? And did you return to your staples?

Cholet

When I first joined I bought everything someone raved about and spents $$$$ on products that it didn't make any sense...You'll bound to do that when you join the board because their is so many product raves and it gets overwhelming but once I got my regimen ONPOINT...I don't stray off target...I stick to what's working for me...If it aint broke, don't fix it...I still get the urges...when someone rave about something...I write it down on my list of things to buy and then I go back and scratch it off my list...What I'm saying is you joined Oct. 2006 so the pj is expected but all I can say is whatever is working for you stick with it...what works for one may not work for others....HHG

Oh I tried the Rusk smoother leave in...and it left my hair feeling hard...I bought the biggest bottle that I could find because ladies was raving about it...now I am trying to figure out what to add with it because I really like the smell and all...

LovelyLionessa

When I heard the raves about ACV rinses, I decided to give 'em a whirl. For weeks I did them, and my hair felt so smooth and transformed, and then brittleness and breakage set in. :mad: So I had to lose the ACV.

Now I'm pretty much commited to washing my hair in braids to prevent tangling, if I stray my hair gives me a beat down. :spank: Hair will let you know what it wants and doesn't want. :lol:

camellia

Before I joined LHCF my staples were Pantene and Redken.

I learned about Nexxus on the board and the Pantene went in the trash (okay, not really, my husband thinks Pantene is great so he still uses it).

The difference between using Pantene and Nexxus was really like night and day to me. My hair has never been stronger, longer or silkier since I discovered Nexxus products. So, in some cases, change can be good.

However, some of the other raves I've tried didn't do anything for my hair or made it feel hard and tangled, Kera Care, Carol's Daughter, and a few others come too mind. I donated those to my sisters.

Simpler is definitely better in my book.

SohoHair

When I first started I was a DIE-HARD Keracare girl, I had Keracare everything!:eek: But after my beloved tub of Humecto ran out I started trying out different conditioners. NTM Daily Deep Conditioner pretty much destroyed all the progress I had made and I was about to go running back to Humecto until I stumbled upon Aveda. Every product I have tried from the Damage Remedy or Sap Moss Line has blown the Keracare equivalent out of the water. I even stopped using NTM Silk Touch as my moisturizer and started using Aveda Elixir instead and my hair has been singing its praises ever since. My mom simply cannot stop talking about my hair now and how great it looks and she was one of the biggest skeptics when I started my haircare journey! I am grateful to Keracare for starting me on the path to better hair products but finding Aveda Sap Moss and Damage Remedy was like coming home!!:lachen:

Summer_Rain

I honestly don't know whats working for my hair, it's thriving - but I can't pinpoint it because I use so many different lines. I sometimes get sick to my stomach when I look at all the different products in my hair closet, but i can't help it though - it seems like everything works :-(

I did recently start using the Dom products and they have been wonderful in helping with my new growth and the overall feel of my hair. I believe that once I use up everything else I have, I'd probably stick with the Dominican stuff

Tee

tsmith said:
When I first joined I bought everything someone raved about and spents $$$$ on products that it didn't make any sense...You'll bound to do that when you join the board because their is so many product raves and it gets overwhelming but once I got my regimen ONPOINT...I don't stray off target...I stick to what's working for me...If it aint broke, don't fix it...I still get the urges...when someone rave about something...I write it down on my list of things to buy and then I go back and scratch it off my list...What I'm saying is you joined Oct. 2006 so the pj is expected but all I can say is whatever is working for you stick with it...what works for one may not work for others....HHG

Oh I tried the Rusk smoother leave in...and it left my hair feeling hard...I bought the biggest bottle that I could find because ladies was raving about it...now I am trying to figure out what to add with it because I really like the smell and all...

I have been itching to try the Rusk Smoother Leave In. I can not find it while out shopping. Thanks for your review. You are one of the people who hair seem to agree with the same products as mine.

LovelyLionessa

Letitia said:
I have been itching to try the Rusk Smoother Leave In. I can not find it while out shopping. Thanks for your review. You are one of the people who hair seem to agree with the same products as mine.

Bed & Bath & Beyond has it, (we have a large one that contains a BSS.) I have also seen it at CVS too. BTW, Tee Tee, your hair looks amazing!! :Rose:

Tee

Priestess said:
Bed & Bath & Beyond has it, (we have a large one that contains a BSS.) I have also seen it at CVS too. BTW, Tee Tee, your hair looks amazing!! :Rose:

Thanks Priestess! I have missed seeing you lately. (but I was gone for 5 days also.)

I will check BB&B.

Tee

Priestess said:

Thanks Priestess! I have missed seeing you lately. (but I was gone for 5 days also.)

I will check BB&B.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Before I joined hairboards in 2004 ( I was somewhere else before), you couldn't get my to try anything besides ORS and Motions. My hair wasn't great, but I did get along with it for the most part. But then I started hearing all these things about L'Oreal Nature's Therapy and these other lines, and I just went crazy. I've found a few staple's but I'm still on a PJ trip, so I try new things quite often. But I'm not buying anything new until I run out of everything.

MzOptimistic

Letitia said:

Try it, I think I was putting way to much in my hair...I'm heavy handed with certain products and since my hair is thick I thought I needed more but I'm going to play with it until I get it right because I actually love this stuff...If you can't find it in stores, like I couldn't you can always get it online:grin: I got the big bottle and I think I paid around $18 or $20..I'm not sure can't really remember it's been sometime now...and clear out your pm box:p

shunta

Priestess said:
Im jealous:lol:

LaNecia

Lately my pjism is much more controlled. For the things that I KNOW work, I have NO curiosity when a similar product is mentioned (I.E. henna for strengthening, Eqyss Survivor for detangling, some things just CAN'T be improved upon).

For others...I've tried new things and usually end up gravitating to the new item (for hold, I will NOT use IC Sparklelites anymore unless I am 8+ weeks post relaxer, it's Define and Shine all the way (nice soft touchable hold, I didn't know the two could co-exist!)).

Now, I log my favorites in my journal and stick to the tried and true!

Lusa

I too, have suffered from jumping on every product rave and as a result I have an ungodly amount of products across two bathrooms. However, I am lucky in that I just multiples of certain products....*ahem...fifteen bottles or so of DDTA*

I now log what I use, how I use it, and the results. I am on a mission to finish all the products I have before I buy anything else. My hair is doing well with what I have currently, and so it's getting easier to read new product hypes without running out and spending $$$

You'll be alright!!!!

MonaLisa

I was a faithful Keracare Humecto (in da tub)/Hydrating Detangling Poo user for two years....

then in August, Motions Moisture Plus came into my life.....and it's been all good.

As far as moisturizing conditioners go...Motions, my NTM DDC and my White Rain Tropical Coconut...I am straight now. My hair has reacted so positively over the past 5 months....I only wish I had changed up some things sooner.:ohwell:

Aveena

I strayed from LeKair Cholesterol Conditioner, Dark and Lovely and Pantene products and I'm not looking back! I'm still testing the waters but haven't found my true staple products yet.

Tee

tsmith said:
Try it, I think I was putting way to much in my hair...I'm heavy handed with certain products and since my hair is thick I thought I needed more but I'm going to play with it until I get it right because I actually love this stuff...If you can't find it in stores, like I couldn't you can always get it online:grin: I got the big bottle and I think I paid around $18 or $20..I'm not sure can't really remember it's been sometime now...and clear out your pm box:p

Thanks T! (oops, I cleared it)

Babygurl

Ive strayed from staples MANY times, with both good and bad results (which is part of the reason I have a closet full of conditioners that I dont use now). There's too many to list, but for the times that trying something new worked like a charm (Fatasia IC Gel, Scurl, Silcon Mix) it was WELL worth it!

Nanyanika

I have indeed strayed from my staples, but never again will i do so. i'm trying to cut down on products and the amount i use on my hair, i've even given away some. For 2007 i plan to stick strictly with my regimen.

Nice & Wavy

I must confess...I was a pj in 2006 and left my staples more than a few times to go to others...some worked so well, they are now my new staples (Elucence, Ojon, Oyinhandmade, beyond the zone, Qhemet Biologics, Garnier) but, for 2007, I'm going to organize the products I have by seasons. I found out that what I used in my hair in the summer, didn't work as well in the fall and winter, and my winter products will change when spring comes around so, that will be a project that will make me feel better about the amount of products I do have. As of right now, I am not planning on buying anything new until I use up what I have.

VroniL2006

I am a new PJ...before I didnt know what to call it but after joining the boards, I now know the name of my illness ;).

I have a lot of products that I bought, before I joined these boards, that I do not necessarily care for. For me, anything that sells on the shelf at Walmart and Kmart usually dont work for me (give or take a few items). I decided to start using products that professionals use in the salons. When you think about it...how many products sold in Walmart, do see on the shelves in a professional salon. I also came to the realization that just because its catered for just black hair doesnt mean it was meant for my hair. I usually have better result with products that are typically never marketed to us.

My absolute staple products so far are Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo, Biolage Conditioning Balm (favorite), Motions Silk Protein Conditioner (Love it! This is the only conditioner from motions that I like, tried the others and was not impressed), Kenra's shampoo/conditioner, Kenra's Daily Leave in Conditioner, and Motions Daily Moisturizing Hairdress. All of these products leave my hair feeling soft and looking nice.

Products that I am using right now, that I am still unsure of are the JoJoba hot oil treatment, for some reason when I use this and then continue with my shampoo/cond treament, my hair feels like it still has too much product in it...i cant really describe it....almost as if it have too much conditioner in it. So I end up having to shampoo it again, which means I dont have that soft conditioned feel in my hair.

I am still in search of another good shampoo that softens my hair as it cleanses and preshampoo treatment to put in my hair. I like to go back and forth between two quality products, that way my hair doesnt get too used to one product.

I have heard so much about the Aveda line, that this PJ junkie is very tempted to take out her wallet again. However, thats on my waiting list, just last night, I bought the Elasta QP mango butter, ELASTA QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer, Scurl and Cantu Soft Daily Shea Butter Oil, thanks to advice of the ladies on the LCHF boards...LOL:lol:

brazenxvirtue

I didn't really have any staples before I joined the board so I had every excuse to go hunting! ;)

The things I've found have been awesome. Aubrey Organics. Aveda. Miss Key. Nacidit to name a few. And they're really consistent for me. If my hair doesn't come out as soft as I know it usually does with a certain product, it usually means it's time for me to clarify and I have mineral/product build-up. Otherwise, I look at the combo of products I used. Sometimes a great shampoo and conditioner individually don't always work well together.