Stretchers...How do you prepare for your relaxer?

RabiaElaine

I plan to relax at the end of next week and will have about 12 weeks of new growth (about 1.25 inches unstretched). I've been cowashing, I obviously have to stop that a few days before getting my touch up.

Should I blow dry my hair to make it easier for the hairdresser to deal with my roots? I don't want them ripping through my hard earned new growth.

Let me know how you prepare to relax your new growth.

MiWay

This is a very good question because I haven't been combing my new growth much at all. I'm sure all that combing and tugging can cause irritation on the scalp.

I wonder if I should stop using Surge, MTG, and WGO as well... :confused:

Healthb4Length

It is a good idea to stop using surge, MTG or other 'growth aides' 2 weeks prior to getting a touch-up. Also 5-7 days prior to touch up, you should do a deep protein treatment like Aphogee or Emergencee or Penetrait (something hard core). Make sure that you don't scratch your scalp or WASH your hair up to 72 hours before a touchup. On the day of your touch up make sure that the stylist cover your old growth with conditioner (to deter overlapping) and make sure he/she base your scalp. This always work for me.

Divine Inspiration

I don't use a blowdryer, but that's definitely an option. I rollerset in order to keep tangles away. I oil my scalp really well, and coat my previously relaxed hair with a silicone based product to avoid damage should the stylist overlap.I usually do my last poo/protein 3-4 days before my relaxer and do no combing between the last poo & the relaxer.

To Msbrown: I would HIGHLY recommend not using Surge or MTG 4-5 days prior to a realxer. WGO is fine from my experience since it's an oil. But Surge and MTG can create scalp irritation and interact with the relaxer so I would stay away from that. There's a thread somewhere about a lady who used MTG to close to her relaxer and was burnin like nothing else b/c of the interaction so I'd hold off on that.

HTH

{DI}

RabiaElaine

Thanks for the heads up on stopping the MTG. I didn't even know that. I will stop today since I'm going to be getting a relaxer next thursday, and I really, really, really don't want to burn.

I guess I will try to attempt a rollerset on Sunday or Monday of next week, and let that air dry. Oil my scalp with WGO. Wear my hair in my protective baggie style and try not to comb it as much as possible. If I do need to comb I will be using my shower comb.

I'm thinking about going to the salon today to forewarn :lachen: them that I'm coming in next week with 3 months of new growth and will need them to be as gentle as possible with me. I'll see how they react to that, if I don't like their response I still have time to go to another stylist.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

Millahdoowop

Ooooh this is a good thread. But I did my protein treatment when I took my braids out in November 12th and I wonder if it'll be too soon to do one again. It says to use it only every six weeks and it'll be more like four if I were to do it this weekend. I guess it doesn't hurt to do it again... but I wanted to do one before I get my weave in January. Hmm... I got a dilemma on my hands. lol

~*~ShopAholic~*~

ITA, this sounds good, I like to use my Botanoil Poo for every wash before my regular poo (therapee) to help strengthen my hair and Keraphix the keraphix before my normal moisturizing DC. Pree poos w/EVOO or any favorite oil will help in keeping the NG soft.
Alli77 said:
It is a good idea to stop using surge, MTG or other 'growth aides' 2 weeks prior to getting a touch-up. Also 5-7 days prior to touch up, you should do a deep protein treatment like Aphogee or Emergencee or Penetrait (something hard core). Make sure that you don't scratch your scalp or WASH your hair up to 72 hours before a touchup. On the day of your touch up make sure that the stylist cover your old growth with conditioner (to deter overlapping) and make sure he/she base your scalp. This always work for me.

morehairplease

divine,

do you mind telling me the product you use?
thanks in advance

Divine Inspiration said:
I don't use a blowdryer, but that's definitely an option. I rollerset in order to keep tangles away. I oil my scalp really well, and coat my previously relaxed hair with a silicone based product to avoid damage should the stylist overlap.I usually do my last poo/protein 3-4 days before my relaxer and do no combing between the last poo & the relaxer.

To Msbrown: I would HIGHLY recommend not using Surge or MTG 4-5 days prior to a realxer. WGO is fine from my experience since it's an oil. But Surge and MTG can create scalp irritation and interact with the relaxer so I would stay away from that. There's a thread somewhere about a lady who used MTG to close to her relaxer and was burnin like nothing else b/c of the interaction so I'd hold off on that.

HTH

{DI}