Stretching hair before pressing

dicapr

I have found that stretching my hair before pressing it reduces the amount of hair I loose in the process whether I flat iron or use a pressing comb. I also noticed less curl fatigue or drooping when I do my next wash. What is the easiest way to stretch 4a/b hair and takes the least amount of time to dry? I had been airdrying in curlers which works well and reduces the amount of heat used but it takes all day. Any other ways to dry hair with low or no heat that allows the hair to dry more quickly?

Divine Inspiration

Banding. I split my hair into hemispheres and then use 3 bands per side. This stretches the hair, and it dries faster when airdrying.

Muse

I like to use the tension method with a blow dryer. I put my blow dryer on low heat with a concentrator, part in sections, detangle and blowdry that section while holding it taught. It stretches my 4b natural roots nicely and since you're not using a comb attachment there's less manipulation so you get less breakage. Check out member pinkskates' fotki for pics if you are unfamiliar with this technique or if I'm just not making sense:grin:

malachi74

for no-heat stretching I plait the hair in about 4-6 plaits, let it air dry, then one at a time I undo the plait, run my denman through it and re-braid.