What's the Most Effective Pressing Method?

ChocoKitty

Hello Ladies!:D

What's your pressing method? I have a natural friend who presses her hair using an electric comb and dudley's cream press about every 8 days on average. She's interested in learning more about pressing methods. Essentially--we were discussing ways she could possibly cut down on manipulation and the amount of heat she has to apply. Plus ways to make her press last longer and eliminate the frizz factor.

Thanks for you help!:)

moda

One way to cut down on heat is to wear natural styles, but before I preach on about how to style her hair I've got 2 recos.

1. She can do a rollerset and then only press the roots. This way she is only using indirect heat on the majority of her hair. Most times when I do a rollerset I don't even press my roots, I can normally conceal it pretty well by using Sylver's scarf method to lay down the front my only real concern or wearing it curly like the pic in my sig, you can't tell my roots are bushy (if you can, let me know because I did something wrong :lol: )

2. She can press all of her hair and use an anti-humectant (never tried this myself) this should help to cut down on the reversion.

Is she wearing her hair straight or curly?

ChocoKitty

Thanks for replying cincy!

I believe she wears her hair straight when she presses. But I like your rollerset idea! If she doesn't want to wear it curly she can do a doobie wrap afterwards. :)

Keep the ideas coming ladies--if you can!;)

Mizani_Mrs

I'm not natural, but when i want to have a nice style but don't want to apply heat again (flat-iron), I'll stream roller my hair and wear it curly...so it's okay if it's frizzy. So for instance, let's say she's press her hair and wear it straight for the 8days or until it is too frizzy, then she'd steam roller it every 2 days for pretty fluffy curls, then if she still isn't ready to wash and press again, she can do a pony-bun or a hair clip for the final days....

hth

I would say in order to get a feel for an effective hair pressing method depends on your hair type. During my first few months of being natural- I had the roughest kinkiest hair imaginable. Flat irons, or electric pressing combs couldnt tame my hair. As time moved along my hair became mangeable, and i am now able to just flatiron my hair and it looks relaxed.

Your friend could try blowouts with effective leave-ins.
-a rollerset then light blowout
- or just a regular flat iron

caligirl

carribean_dream said:
As time moved along my hair became mangeable

I have noticed this too. Does the hair actually become more manageable or do you just learn how to handle it better?

caligirl said:
I have noticed this too. Does the hair actually become more manageable or do you just learn how to handle it better?

I would say a little bit of both caligirl-I finally came to the realization that my relaxed hair was actually gone and started caring for what I had. But I believe the pressing has ruined some of my curly texture...:ohwell:

amy1234

she should try using a flat iron, :thumbsup: it will make her hair smother and not as frizzy especially if she is using dudley's creme press (my fav.) CHI flat irons are great and there are other brands that work just as well. hth :thumbsup: and don't forget to blowddry before flat ironing, you'll get smoother results this way. :thumbsup: