Stretching My Relaxer ... @ Thumbs DOWN!!!!!

MonaRae

Well I am starting all over again. I decided to get a corrective relaxer done b/c I finally realized my hair is not meant for stretching relaxers beyond 12 weeks. It was coming out so bad I just had to do it.

The most I will stretch will be 10 maybe 12 weeks! After that is gets really ugly!

Anyway I finally posted my pic (see Avatar!)

Its also my starting point for the 3 month Protein plan.

MonaRae

Last edited:

Mom23

Your hair looks great based on your avatar. Everybody can't stretch for long periods of time and that's okay. I'm one of them that can't. :) Good luck with the protein challenge.

navsegda

MonaRae said:
Well I am starting all over again. I decided to get a corrective relaxer done b/c I finally realized my hair is not meant for stretching relaxers beyond 12 weeks. It was coming out so bad I just had to do it.

The most I will stretch will be 10 maybe 12 weeks! After that is gets really ugly!

MonaRae

Girl, do what you feel works the best for YOUR hair. Sometimes a lot of us get this attitude that if it works for us, it will work for someone else, and if it doesn't work for someone else then it's always because they are doing X wrong or they just haven't tried X product. This is not always the case. Sometimes it just doesn't work and we need to just accept that. As I said before, shedding is moreso a problem than breakage for many who choose not to stretch extended periods of time and there isn't any magical product or technique to keep your follicles glued into your scalp for good. Even if you don't manipulate it, hair strands can still come out on their own.

Last edited:

Sistaslick

MonaRae said:

MonaRae

Mona, 12 weeks is GREAT! Whatchu talkin' bout? That is still a stretch in my book. :lol: But, I guess it depends on why you are stretching, though. If you were stretching to avoid overall exposure to chemicals then I can see you being frustrated--- but if you were stretching to cut back on overlap, then cutting back your stretch a few weeks isn't going to hurt you too bad. Plus, you can always protect the length of your hair from overlap in other ways. You are doing great girl! I was stretching anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks, but these days I'm relaxing at week 14. I realized that after that point, I'm fighting my hair more than necessary and just hurting it with all the extra manipulation more than helping. So 14 is it for me.

gymfreak336

Sistaslick said:
Mona, 12 weeks is GREAT! Whatchu talkin' bout? That is still a stretch in my book. :lol: But, I guess it depends on why you are stretching, though. If you were stretching to avoid overall exposure to chemicals then I can see you being frustrated--- but if you were stretching to cut back on overlap, then cutting back your stretch a few weeks isn't going to hurt you too bad. Plus, you can always protect the length of your hair from overlap in other ways. You are doing great girl! I was stretching anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks, but these days I'm relaxing at week 14. I realized that after that point, I'm fighting my hair more than necessary and just hurting it with all the extra manipulation more than helping. So 14 is it for me.

I was thinking the same thing. I get to 9 and think I am doing it. Gohead Mona:p

gymfreak336

navsegda said:
Girl, do what you feel works the best for YOUR hair. Sometimes a lot of us get this attitude that if it works for us, it will work for someone else, and if it doesn't work for someone else then it's always because they are doing X wrong or they just haven't tried X product. This is not always the case. Sometimes it just doesn't work and we need to just accept that. As I said before, shedding is moreso a problem than breakage for many who choose not to stretch extended periods of time and there isn't any magical product or technique to keep your follicles glued into your scalp for good. Even if you don't manipulate it, hair strands can still come out on their own.

Very true. I think that would be my max. I just lose too much hair.

prettypuff1

i stretched to 24 weeks before...lol i dont know if i can do wit witho out the help of weaves.. i am trying not to get back with that, but i can do 12 just fine. although i am at week 8 and it is looking tough

InnerSoul

12 weeks is also my limit to stretching.. I personally don't want to go anymore than that!.. I think that u have achieved a great challenge!! You made it to 12 weeks and that is very excellent :) ;) :p

MzOptimistic

MonaRae said:

MonaRae

Yah, I hear ya...It seems like the longest I can stretch is 10 weeks. I haven't made it to 12 weeks yet...I'm going on 8 weeks post now and due to all the vitamins that I'm taking I have alot of newgrowth. It seems like I'm 10 weeks and I'm sooo itching to relax it but I will try to hold out until 10 weeks but no stretching past 10 weeks is not for me either. My hair doesn't break or anything it's just too much ng at that point for me to relax myself:)

Misseyl

12 weeks is a good stretch/3 months --damn, compare to 6 weeks and it doubles. I'd say if you have enough new-growth for the relaxer to hold unto, then go for it. I like to get about an inch of new growth before relaxing but not everyone could deal w/tons of newgrowth at one time..

MonaRae

Thanks Ladies for your input. My last stretch was just 11 weeks and I did a texturizer before that it was 21 weeks so my hair was without a full relaxer for 31 weeks. In the end my hair was falling out like crazy.

A couple of months ago I claimed APL and right after I mean right after that the shedding started. It was crazy! I tried everything. Henna work but that was really covering the problem not solving it. Then there was that over dry scalp phase I went thru for about 4 weeks due to the wrong shampoo! In all I am simply surprised I have hair. :lachen:

But I will say this my hair is the healthest it has ever been. Now my hair hold beautiful full body curls. Its Full, Beautiful and Healthy! No longer thin frail and weak!

I also started going back to a hair dresser, that just how serious this was getting. She's really good and my hair responds well to her.

Thanks Again!
MonaRae

navsegda

MonaRae said:
Thanks Ladies for your input. My last stretch was just 11 weeks and I did a texturizer before that it was 21 weeks so my hair was without a full relaxer for 31 weeks. In the end my hair was falling out like crazy.

Girl, I feel ya. I used to stretch (although I didn't know what the term was for it) for several months in college because I just didn't feel like doing a relaxer or getting it done. I had other things to worry about. Then when I finally DID get a relaxer, clumps would fall out in the shower when I was washing it out.

My hair thinned out in some areas, and I can't believe I was so retarded. *kicks self*

CoCoGirl821

sareca said:
12 weeks is a respectable stretch. :yep:

I agree...most people outside of LHCF only stretch for 4-6 weeks. If you even wanna call that a stretch. Right now I am going on my 13th week and I am on cloud nine.