Succeeded from Protein Overload? THEN GET IN HERE...!!!!

SherylsTresses

:perplexed (I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for so forgive me if this is a repeat.) :nono:

I'm experiencing protein overload from adding an egg to Affirm 5-n-1 protein conditioner and allowing it to set on my hair for 30 mins. Yes I did do a DC for an hour afterwards but to no avail. This is my third week of protein overload and I am D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-E to eliminate this problem. So please, please answer the following questions:

• What products sent you into protein overload?
  • What products got your moisture level back on track?
  • How long did it take to return to your correct moisture level?
  • Did you have to cut your hair?
  • Was there a styling method that helped?
  • Any other advice you would like to share?

Thanks sooo much in advance my hair sistas! :yep:

yardgirl

I DCed or cowashed everyday to overcome my protein overload last month. I alternated GVP Conditioning Balm and Aussie 3 Minute with a few drops of Jojoba oil. After the 4th day my hair started to feel better and within a week it was ok. I went back to my normal regimen after that.

SherylsTresses

What was your experience from the overload so that we can better troubleshoot the issue?

My symptoms:

• My hair looks dry and brittle regardless of how much moisturizer I use
  • It takes me about 3x longer to detangle as hair breaks much easier
  • If it dries before before I detangle, it becomes matted

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hawaiian Silky 14-1 came to my rescue. I also co-washed with Tresemme moisturizing conditioner and did Roux Porosity Control after that and about a week or two later I was back on track.

Bettina

Good Morning! I'm sorry you are going through this but can a natural chime in?

What products sent you into protein overload?
Aphogee & henna mixed (bad idea for me)
What products got your moisture level back on track?
Believe it or not a good clarifying shampoo and ....water for a good steam treatment (VO5 Moisture milks did it thing as well:yep:)
How long did it take to return to your correct moisture level?
1 -2 weeks
Did you have to cut your hair?
Nope
Was there a styling method that helped?
twist and just paying close attention to my ends (castor oil is a life saver:lick:)
Any other advice you would like to share?
I don't know how your hair feels after clarifying but this was the trick for my overload (kinda takes away the "layer" of protein you added) and then I came back to what works for my hair as far as protein is concerned. (I have fine strands as well)

I know you will find the solution for your hair and NOT have to cut it before the balance returns. :)

ceebee3

I lost about 2 inches from protein overload. I did a hardcore protein and did protein pre-poos and co-washes.

I also applied heat to dry hair so that made it worse.

I don't think your hair sounds as bad as mine was. I relaxed my hair very early to break down some of the protein but I wouldn't reccomend that for you.

After relaxing I deep conditioned every 3 days and moisturized and sealed every night for 2 weeks. I didn't use shampoo unless it was mixed with conditioner.

My hair took about 4 weeks to turn back around.

ChrsLvsBks

I used the following in one day. I applied AO GPB for 15 minutes on dry hair. I then co-washed with Giovanni's Smooth As Silk followed by the SAS repair cream. My hair felt okay at first but later that night, the top of my hair was hard and felt horrible.
I applied coconut oil and EVOO the next night then covered with plastic (I thought hardness was from gelly I used. So not the case). I then rinsed it out with warm water and co-washed withVO5 Moisture Milk followed by JC L-I and coconut oil and castor oil. My hair felt so much better, thank goodness.
About two days
No
No, I still did my wash and goes with Afroveda pur whipped gelly.
Try a steam DT at a local salon or give yourself one by wrapping a hot towel around your head after you have covered hair with plastic bag. Then cover the bag with another towel (hair-plastic bag-towel-plastic bag). Leave it on your head for at least 15 minutes--if towel cools, reheat it. I typically throw my towel in the microwave.

Hope you the best.

UGQueen

Pree pood with EVOO
I DC's every other day with silk elements moisture treat and neutrogena mask and EVOO
used NTG TM as my leave in and within a week i was back to normal.

my hair isnt long but maybe baggying will help as well, i baggied my whole head and that made a big difference

longhairlover

What products sent you into protein overload?
Aphogee 2 step protein (the anti christ for my hair)
What products got your moisture level back on track?
1st I tried to clarify and deep condition (didn't work) my hair was still like rough carpet but a little better. then I colored my hair with creme of nature color and in that box they had the creme of nature deep moisture poo and a great moisture condish after that my hair was back to normal
How long did it take to return to your correct moisture level?
about a week or 2 washes
Did you have to cut your hair?
no just some breakage and hair too rough to comb, brush etc.
Was there a styling method that helped?
no I just put it in a pony
Any other advice you would like to share?
I personally don't like aphogee anymore, it use to do good to my hair but I now hate it! I will go back to emergencee, try keraphix and sebastians penetraitt and sebastian 2+1 moisture/light protein I have had aphogee destroy my hair one time too many it is on my ish list!

sqzbly1908

Prepoo/DC on dry hair overnight with AO HSR, Nexxus Humectress, MOP Extreme Moisture or Kenra rinse/shampoo in the morning with a moisturizing shampoo like Kenra MS, Nexxus Therappe, etc. then follow up with a moisturizing condish (I do this while in the shower) using either Nexxus Humectress or Kenra MC...

It has been awhile since I went into overload but I think it took about a week for my hair to start actin' right...

HTH

SherylsTresses

Prepoo/DC on dry hair overnight with AO HSR, Nexxus Humectress, MOP Extreme Moisture or Kenra rinse/shampoo in the morning with a moisturizing shampoo like Kenra MS, Nexxus Therappe, etc. then follow up with a moisturizing condish (I do this while in the shower) using either Nexxus Humectress or Kenra MC...

It has been awhile since I went into overload but I think it took about a week for my hair to start actin' right...

HTH

Interesting....I've been hearing a lot about Nexxus Humectress rescuing from protein overload. Never tried it but thinking about it. :rolleyes:

TonicaG

TonicaG
Try applying moisturizing conditioner on dry hair and let it sit for 45 min. to hour or two and rinse in cold water or as cool as you can stand it. Apply your leave in and set it.

You can try:

* DPR-11
* Silicon Mix
* Silk Elements MegaMoisture
* Honey
* Neutrogena Triple Moisture
* Suave Humectant (Nexxus equivalency)

Any of these would be good mixed with honey.

Last edited:

sqzbly1908

Interesting....I've been hearing a lot about Nexxus Humectress rescuing from protein overload. Never tried it but thinking about it. :rolleyes:

If you happen to already have it - cool - I wouldn't go out (they changed their formula) and buy it as there are some better moisturizing dc's out there...SE Megasilk, Kenra MC (fav) ...Nexxus is what I used at that particular time...

SherylsTresses

If you happen to already have it - cool - I wouldn't go out (they changed their formula) and buy it as there are some better moisturizing dc's out there...SE Megasilk, Kenra MC (fav) ...Nexxus is what I used at that particular time...

Okay I'll purchase some Kenra MC today from Ulta. I'm usually a huge fan of KeraCare products but have been using Nexxus Humectin as my daily moisturizer on dry hair.

I did a Henna treatment then a month later I put plain egg on my hair and let it sit for 30 minutes. I tried my normal DC (Kera Care with Honey and EVOO) and my hair did not budge. This is when I knew I was in overload
    Strangly enough, it was Queen Helene's Cholesterol under heat for an hour . I did this as well as followed up with a cowash (v05 Peaches n Creme) everyday for the next five days.
    Right after the Queen Helene's DC, it was corrected right away, meaning it didn't feel like I had 6 dread locks. As far as getting back to complete normal it took about 2 weeks.
    No. I wouldn't have done that.
    I'm gonna say sitting under the dryer and cowashing. I would recommend the steamer.
    Don't knock a products usefulness because you THINK that it may be bad for your hair. Unless you know for a FACT that it wouldn't work, try it. I would have NEVER used Queen Helene's because of the ingredients.

HTH

SherylsTresses

I did a Henna treatment then a month later I put plain egg on my hair and let it sit for 30 minutes. I tried my normal DC (Kera Care with Honey and EVOO) and my hair did not budge. This is when I knew I was in overload
    Strangly enough, it was Queen Helene's Cholesterol under heat for an hour . I did this as well as followed up with a cowash (v05 Peaches n Creme) everyday for the next five days.
    Right after the Queen Helene's DC, it was corrected right away, meaning it didn't feel like I had 6 dread locks. As far as getting back to complete normal it took about 2 weeks.
    No. I wouldn't have done that.
    I'm gonna say sitting under the dryer and cowashing. I would recommend the steamer.
    Don't knock a products usefulness because you THINK that it may be bad for your hair. Unless you know for a FACT that it wouldn't work, try it. I would have NEVER used Queen Helene's because of the ingredients.

HTH

ZeeOl'Lady, thanks for your reply! I used to use good ole Queen Helene before I switched to KeraCare line. I may revisit. :yep:

Last edited:
Re-try it. I am utterly appauled that of my whole high-end stash, this plan, cheap stuff rescued me. I had to call my sister (has WSL hair and has a whole closet full of products) to help me. I use it faithfully now.

princessdi

I had protein overload really bad and didn’t know what to do until someone told me about adding salt to my conditioner and leaving it on for about 30 minutes and then rinsing. I did that and followed up with a Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner and my hair thanked me for it. After that, I was able to comb without all the really bad tangles I had from the protein overload and then I went on a moisturizing regime for a week. I co-washed daily with Herbal Essence Replenishing Conditioner and slept in V05 Moisture Milks conditioner. My hair is now back to normal. I learned that my hair does not like a lot of protein and now I only use it when needed. Good luck!
FYI: Baking soda did the same thing for me. You should try it and see what happens.

sqzbly1908

Okay I'll purchase some Kenra MC today from Ulta. I'm usually a huge fan of KeraCare products but have been using Nexxus Humectin as my daily moisturizer on dry hair.

I haven't tried Humectin but I heard great things about it...did it not work for you as a rinse out condish?

SherylsTresses

I haven't tried Humectin but I heard great things about it...did it not work for you as a rinse out condish?

Yes. I mix it with my KeraCare conditioner half/half, EVOO, honey and JBCO. I dc condition with heat for 45. The results are wonderful under normal circumstances.

ChrsLvsBks

My answer to everything

pour natural oils over your head till your hair gets right again:yep:

Question: Do you put oils over dry hair that has product in it? I pre-poo before I cleanse and wonder if it is best to apply oil to slightly damp or damp hair (with product)?

hothair

Carify then use Nexxus Humectress/humectin co-wash for the next few weeks you'll be fine. I usually see results immediately I use the Nexxus. BTW my overload was from henna

WorkInProgress88

.i JUST got over a protein overload

.2 wks ago i used Aphogee 2mins but FORGOT and used it again the following week. My hair is sensitive to protein so it started breaking left and right.

.i decided to start with a CLEAN slate so i clarified and DC with Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment (w/ heat) then did a ACV treatment. I moisturized with Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizers and sealed with Coconut Oil.

SherylsTresses

Last night I moisturized my hair with Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream conditioner in very small sections, then pinncurled. This morning I could see a difference as my hair looks and feels softer and manageable. It's hasn't returned to its correct moisture level I'm not sure if it was time or the Moisture Milks itself. But I'll see after my shampoo (or maybe cowash and DC) this weekend. :yep:

Thanks ladies for all of your support. Love you guys much!!! :drunk:

SherylsTresses

.i JUST got over a protein overload

.2 wks ago i used Aphogee 2mins but FORGOT and used it again the following week. My hair is sensitive to protein so it started breaking left and right.

.i decided to start with a CLEAN slate so i clarified and DC with Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment (w/ heat) then did a ACV treatment. I moisturized with Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizers and sealed with Coconut Oil.

Interesting, you recovered in just one week!

Chevelure618

When my hair started to get into good condition, using my regular DC, which is UBH Deep conditioner, sent me into PO (protein overload)

The answer for me was using a CHEAP clarifying shampoo...Suave.

I used it for 2-3 shampoos in a row and ONLY following with a light protein conditioner after. (ORS Replenishing, or Mane and Tail Conditioner)
The answer is to CLARIFY

DId not cut

Hair came back in two weeks

Air dry.

SherylsTresses

When my hair started to get into good condition, using my regular DC, which is UBH Deep conditioner, sent me into PO (protein overload)

The answer for me was using a CHEAP clarifying shampoo...Suave.

I used it for 2-3 shampoos in a row and ONLY following with a light protein conditioner after. (ORS Replenishing, or Mane and Tail Conditioner)
The answer is to CLARIFY

DId not cut

Hair came back in two weeks

Air dry.

Chevelure618, you were so right!!! Clarifying got rid of my protein overload immediately. Thank you soooo much!!! :yep: