Summer growth spurt question?

Royalq

Hey ladies!
i know alot of people experience growth spurt in the summer due to the warmer weather. But i was wondering, what about people that live in states that are typically warm year round like florida? Im moving from NY to florida in august and was wondering if the growth spurt would last longer for people living in hot places?

I live in Southern California and I still get the growth spurt EVERYWHERE. Yes, I have to *ahem* shave/wax and tend to my hair on my head much more often. It drives me crazy.

growbaby

I found this online:

During the warm summer months, the human body has to work faster to perform some common activities and maintain homeostasis. It also has to work faster and harder to help the body cool down. This leads to faster cell division due to more efficient blood circulation throughout the body, which, among other things, causes hair to grow faster. Hair cells at the root divide much more quickly in the summer than during winter months and push the hair down more rapidly. As a result, hair grows faster by about 10 percent.

So with that being said I don't see why hair growth wouldn't be increased by living in a warmer area like Florida. Any Florida ladies experience faster growth?? Chime in.

CurlsBazillion

Humidity is supposedly the factor that helps with accelerated hair growth. I've heard people calling it hair growing weather but please believe there are some baled headed chicks down south too. I still seem to get .5 in per month but this summer I'm trying to remember to track my growth to see if its true. I think its more about not having to struggle to have a moisture balance in hurricane season/summer because its always raining and so humid you can hardly breathe therefore you retain more of your growth. So yeah basically I'm not sure

greenandchic

Or what happens when you live in a place where you only have a handful of sunny days, rain year round and very little humidity?

lamaria211

I live in fl for 3yrs now coming from NYC and I really have no clue if there is a difference since ive only been on my hhj for 3yrs to

Royalq

I never paid much attention to summer growth either. I hope the warmer climate will give me a permanent boost cause lord knows i need it

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Born and raised in FL and still a resident of FL. I live in NWFL which is not as hot as Central/South FL. I feel that my growth is the same year around. @Ms. Tiki, do you experience spurts with living in North FL and @SmilingElephant do you in Central FL?

ETA: Let me add, I don't measure my ng and overall progress with a ruler. I have a length check tee that I whip out from time to time to check progress so my perception of not having a summer growth spurt may be incorrect.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Humidity is supposedly the factor that helps with accelerated hair growth. I've heard people calling it hair growing weather but please believe there are some baled headed chicks down south too. I still seem to get .5 in per month but this summer I'm trying to remember to track my growth to see if its true. I think its more about not having to struggle to have a moisture balance in hurricane season/summer because its always raining and so humid you can hardly breathe therefore you retain more of your growth. So yeah basically I'm not sure

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ms. Tiki

Born and raised in FL and still a resident of FL. I live in NWFL which is not as hot as Central/South FL. I feel that my growth is the same year around. @Ms. Tiki, do you experience spurts with living in North FL and @SmilingElephant do you in Central FL?

ETA: Let me add, I don't measure my ng and overall progress with a ruler. I have a length check tee that I whip out from time to time to check progress so my perception of not having a summer growth spurt may be incorrect.

divachyk I do get a growth spurt. I'm sure b/c of the heat and humidity I CO wash more which leads to extra growth. Plus, this is the time of year I'm more active and my diet is different. More seafood aka protein

LaughingOctopus

South Florida native here. I haven't experienced more than average growth spurts all year round. My growth is normal. In fact, I feel that my hair grows more during the winter time. Then again, that could be due to 100% protective styling during that season. I wouldn't invest too much thought into it OP. Like the previous poster said, there are some bald headed girls here too:giggle:

CurlsBazillion

South Florida native here. I haven't experienced more than average growth spurts all year round. My growth is normal. In fact, I feel that my hair grows more during the winter time. Then again, that could be due to 100% protective styling during that season. I wouldn't invest too much thought into it OP. Like the previous poster said, there are some bald headed girls here too:giggle:

LaughingOctopus @ your sigi....:evil: booooo. I had to say it lol.

sapphire18

I have never experienced nor do I know of anybody (other than people online) who have experienced a growth spurt in the summer due to the warmer weather. I have lived in FL in the past and my hair actually grew less. By growing less I mean the amount coming out of my scalp was exactly the same all year no matter where I lived but I couldn't retain it because the lactic acid from sweating so much caused by the FL heat damaged my hair. Lactic acid has the ability to strip away your hair's protective keratin coating. Your yearly growth rate will most likely be the same. Hair growth rates are genetic but your growth rate and/or texture will change every 5-7 years.

source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/551898-lactic-acid-in-hair/

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Why yes, yes i do:)

Its always hot in the "Happiest place on Earth"<---that's a bold faced lie in the quotes...but then again...i am a local:lol:

But im not sure if its bc of the humidity here. Every year around this time its severely humid...and my hair loves moisture...i mean...LOVES it!:lick: So it keeps my hair from being dry...which may help with breakage prevention..which makes me think i'm getting a growth spurt...idk...but my hair does tend to grow a little faster around this time.:yep: