Super Long-Term Transitioners (2 yrs+): Help!

davisbr88

Hi, ladies:
I am strongly considering expanding my transition from 17 months to 24 just because I really would like more length when I chop, as I am not a fan of super-short hair, and would prefer extra length since it will shrink. For those who transitioned for 2 years (give or take a month or so), please share:

*Pros of your transition
*Cons of your transition
*Styles you wore most often
*Techniques you used to maintain the health of both textures
*How often you cut/trim during your transition
*Some things you wish you had known during your transition
*Any pics from your "BC" :grin:
*How many inches of natural hair you had at the BC/what length you were after the BC

Last edited:

Austro-Afrikana

Well I am still transitioning but am 26 months post...

Pros of my long transition: Get to keep extra length
Cons of my long transition: Have to treat ends differently (putting protein leave ins only on ends), tangles at demarcation line, can't wear an afro/afro puff yet :(
Styles I usually wear: braids with extensions, donut buns, braid outs

I don't trim and I don't really use any techniques. I just steam my hair weekly and make a nice fruity pre-poo

davisbr88

^^Thanks for responding!
I guess I'm lucky because my natural hair loves protein so I haven't found that I've had to treat my relaxed hair any differently. How many inches of natural hair do you have now, if you don't mind me asking?

Austro-Afrikana

I think I have about 12 inches of natural and a few inches of relaxed. I started off with 5 but some of that has broken off over the past few months.

beautyaddict1913

I'm close but no cigar! I'll still share. In 2 weeks I will be 21 months post! Weave has helped me through my transition.

If I could do it all over again I would:

Have taken more breaks from weave.

Not have tried sooo many new things. When I found something that worked I would be so anxious to try a new product that I would try something new so I could review it and forget what I did previously that really worked. Now I keep a log in my phone.

Have trimmed more often. I haven't trimmed in 5 months and prior to that I only trimmed once in 15 months, unintentionally. But my ends are horrible so I would prefer a once quarterly schedule.

I'm glad I know what my hair likes since I've been playing in it for so long. The major con is that there are so many styles that don't look right on trans hair like a wash and go, a twist out. I braid my hair every night and wear a puff. I used to luv buns now I'm queen of puffs. Braided bantu knot outs and twists/braids set with flexi-rods are gorgeous but they take me from apl to necklength lol and I'm not loving that!

In a nutshell stick to what works, use weave to give yourself a break, trim regularly, and find a simple go-to style that you love!

davisbr88

^^ That was extremely helpful. I'm actually going to try my first sew-in next week. Thanks so much girl!

Bun Mistress

I'm now where close to two years. Sigh..... but ti answer your questions.....

*Pros of your transition
healthy hair, this is the first time that my hair has every been this long

*Cons of your transition
ok ok I'm tender headed and I hate having my air combed. nothing new there. I would say I had to get a good handle on my hair in the begining.

*Styles you wore most often braid/twsit out the first year, I did blow dry more this year but I'm goung back to what worked last summer (no issues it was just easier)

washing in braid****
a good conditioner it worth a million ok ones
don't d your hair if you don't wanna
never forget to clarify
yes you need protein
moisture is the key
there is no prefect moistureized only the perfect DC

Since starting I have have had two trims, I grow slowly and have had some set backs (in the begining, Im right at BSB now woohoo)

Still doing it. Wish I had learned of the patouchile conditioning soner and the truth about washing is braids, Did it for a while stopped regretted it. Also tention blow drying

*Any pics from your "BC" -stll transitioning, soo LHCF album

*How many inches of natural hair you had at the BC
see album

LaFemmeNaturelle

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but beautyaddict how do you take care of your hair underneath the sew in? And do you do full sew ins or partial? Any pics?!

I'm thinking about just transitioning until all my relaxed ends are gone (probably 3 years)

BriDa5242

*Pros of your transition
I got to keep my length and learn to work with the two textures until I was comfortable
*Cons of your transition
When my hair was wet I would see the obvious difference in my relaxed and natural hair and my wash and go's would not look cute
Straw sets and pin the sides up with bobby pins...easy peasy:grin: ( see scribble pics of my fotki)
little to No heat, moisturizing like crazy:drunk:,

a few times a year and then eventually a big chop which wasn't too noticeable

Attachments

• me new999.jpg
    me new999.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 73

jupitermoon

*Pros of your transition

I transitioned for 3 years from 2006-2009. The biggest pro was that I got to gradually get used to my natural hair and see how it behaved in comparision to my relaxed hair. I think doing a bc instead of transitioning can be more of a shock to some because you're left with an entire head of "new" natural hair instead of slowly easing into being natural.

I started wearing wash and gos in 2007 and by the time I had the last of my relaxed ends cut off in May 2009, I already had an idea how my natural hair behaved and knew what hair products/techniques worked best for my hair.

*Cons of your transition

Dealing with e line of demarcation where the two textures meet was the biggest challenge because it tended to tangle here. Combing from tip to root helped.

Wash and go up do's and ponytails held with lots of scrunchies were my main styles. I used an octopus clip from Walgreens for my updos.

Only comb while wet and with conditioner and comb from tip to root using a wide tooth comb. The relaxed hair really weighed down on my natural hair making it appear more wavy so I didn't have much of a problem blending the two textures.

I had no set time. During the summer of 2006 I had lots of trims and mini cuts. I had a few trims in 2007 and in 2008. Then last May of 2009, I had the final 2-3 inches cut off. So my hair was cut quite a bit during the 3 year period. Near the end of my transition, the relaxed ends became so dry and damagedand split so bad that they started shredding (I though I was going gray for a while, lol!) and breaking off. So I did lose quite a bit of hair in the process.

During the start I was a bit of a product junkie and experimented with gels, leave ins, etc. I wish I would have known that simply using conditioner was enough for me but I don't regret experimenting during my transition period though. I got to learn about my natural hair and what works best for it, so I was thrilled to finally be natural and knew how to take care of my natural hair.

*Any pics from your "BC"

^^^This picture was taken about 3 months after getting the last of my relaxed ends cut off in May 2009.

*How many inches of natural hair you had at the BC

I was at the very top of tailbone when the last of my relaxed ends were cut off and was about midback (not quite waist) length after the cut.

Bun Mistress

Thread hijack
CelinaStarr I don't have your texture and could never do you regi but

I LOVE YOUR TRANSITION!!!! You're in inspiration......

davisbr88

Omg... What a story, CelinaStarr! I don't think I can hold out for 3 years, so I definitely admire you!

jupitermoon

Thank you ladies.

Now that I think about it, I've transitioned before. My very first relaxer was at about age 8 (beginning of 3rd grade). I wanted to be like the other girls in my class so I begged and pleaded for a relaxer until I got my wish. I think I got one more relaxer (touch up) after this at age of 9 (still in 3rd grade). I got one more at age 10 (start of 5th grade) then after that I decided that I didn't want another one. By the time I was 11 (6th grade) my hair was natural again and remained natural until about 17-18. I used to get frequent trims though and always wore my hair flat ironed/pressed.

I never got another relaxer until about age 17-18 (senior year in highschool I think) then didn't get another one until about a year or so later at about age 19-20 (2nd year freshman in college or sophmore in college) then I only got them once or twice a year and it wasn't kept in my hair long (texlax). My very last relaxer was around May 2006 (it was starting to get warm outside and I wanted to tame the frizz and still easily keep my hair straight) and I was 21 years old.

So I guess you can say I've transitioned a lot but the only difference now is that I now wear my hair completely natural and unstraightened instead of keeping it pressed/flat ironed. Plus I now take care of my hair myself instead of relying on beauticians. I never really enjoyed getting relaxers and had a hard time keeping up with the touch ups.

My hair is thick with thick coarse strands though. I think this makes transitioning not so hard for me.

jupitermoon

^^^That was confusing, lol!

In a nutshell, I was natural from birth until age 8. Then from age 11 until about 17 or 18 I was natural again.

From ages 8-10 I relaxed very infrequently. I relaxed from 17-18 then again from about ages 19-21. Lol!

ETA: It's kind of hard to remember exact ages but I know 3rd grade, 5th grade, senior year high school, and beginning to mid of college (I graduated college at 23) I was relaxed---that's how I remember it.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

I transitioned for exactly 2 years.

*Pros of your transition
I didn't have to cut my hair short.
Also I was convinced that the relaxed ends provided protection from splits for the natural hair.

*Cons of your transition
Detangling was rather annoying

Cornrows and braidouts.
Nothing special just deep conditioned once a week and kept it oiled and moisturized.

*How often you cut/trim during your transition I trimmed a little off every 3 months (give or take)

I knew all the stuff I needed because I relentlessly asked questions and read through threads and fotki albums.

*How many inches of natural hair you had at the BC/what length you were after the BC

newbeginnings2010

I transitioned for exactly 2 years.

*Pros of your transition
I didn't have to cut my hair short.
Also I was convinced that the relaxed ends provided protection from splits for the natural hair.

*Cons of your transition
Detangling was rather annoying

Cornrows and braidouts.
Nothing special just deep conditioned once a week and kept it oiled and moisturized.

*How often you cut/trim during your transition I trimmed a little off every 3 months (give or take)

I knew all the stuff I needed because I relentlessly asked questions and read through threads and fotki albums.

@bolded: Interesting theory!

SN: LOVE your hair! I'm always looking at your fotki and dreaming of the day I can wear your styles!

Last edited:

blksndrlla

*Pros of your transition:
I don't have to deal with the shock of short/natural hair. While I transition I get to get serious practice at retaining length. Also, I get to avoid the dreaded SL to APL grow out.

*Cons of your transition:
HEAT DAMAGE!!! The crazy thing is I was natural until I was 17 and had my hair pressed regularly without any damage, but that darn maxiglide did some serious damage. (My hair hates steam products...the caruso did a number to my ends) Also, I got white dot breakage from a lack of moisture when straightening. (Note: this didn't come from frequent straightening...just one time can do it...even with precaution)

*Styles you wore most often:[/B]
CurlyNikki Twist and Curl and the bun. I am currently in a sew-in (BoBraz) and wish I would have done it sooner. (except having my hair out allowed me the opportunity to get to know it pretty well)

*Techniques you used to maintain the health of both textures:
My hair flourished the most when I learned how to properly detangle. The new addition of oil rinsing has helped detangling and SSK prevention tremendously! Also, knowing when my hair needed protein vs. moisture.

*How often you cut/trim during your transition:
From months 6-18 or so, I hacked way too much! I would be MBL probably. I will trim again to get rid of the white dot breakage, but as a SD not just a blind trim.

*Some things you wish you had known during your transition:
Transitioning for all this time to have certain section of heat damaged hair sucks.
Weave can be awesome!
It's really mind over matter.
If you detangle properly, you can reduce splits...reducing the amount you have to cut!

*Any pics from your "BC"
I am still transitioning and probably will be for a while. (24 months/2 years post). I want to go until I am about BSL/MBL natural, but heck I may change my mind and cut next week :).

*How many inches of natural hair you had at the BC/what length you were after the BC:
Right now, my back is APL or near it, but my front...SMH is not even SL in some areas. It just grows slow.

davisbr88

^^My front grows slowly too! It's like 1/2 the length of the rest of my hair. Smh...
It's only like the two tufts of hair on either side of my part at my hairline that are like nonexistent. Everything else behaves properly.

Black Hoya Chick

*Pros of your transition
Length: When in doubt, i could throw it into a ponytail/bun and keep it moving. O also got to know my hair real well. By the time i was natural 2 years later, it was pretty smooth sailing
*Cons of your transition
impatience. lol. i would want to do certain styles or techniques, but it looked crazy with the relaxed ends. also when i would straighten, my hair looked different because the natural hair was much healthier, fuller, and just...better; the bone-straight ends looked thin and in need of cutting
buns buns and buns!
i braided my hair at night into 2-4 braids and styled from there in the AM
sparatic. i had to mini chops of about 3-4 inches. and from time to time would cut off an inch or 2. i also got a trim anytime i straightened
the front was looser, so to stop cutting it so much: it would never curl like the back
*Any pics from your "BC"
if i find something i'll update this
i don't know the exact inches, but i was BSB when I chopped 2 years later

Sapphire_chic

2 years and some change

*Pros of your transition: For me length which means more styles are available

*Cons of your transition: fragile ends, different protein needs (I used to apply henna to my ends only some weeks), lots of s&ds needed

*Styles you wore most often: some form of braid out or twist out or gelled pony tail

*Techniques you used to maintain the health of both textures: Henna, weekly protein, lots of moisture, Throrough detangling because my shed hairs can cause knots and breakage

*How often you cut/trim during your transition: No trims but lots of S&Ding and using my split ender

*Some things you wish you had known during your transition: not to over do the moisture because the relaxed hair can't take it and to be serious with protein right from the start.

*Any pics from your "BC": still transitioning

*How many inches of natural hair you had at the BC/what length you were after the BC: I have a good couple of inches left (I started with like 5 and it took a long time to get a handle on the breaking.

An addition question:

What was your length at the start of your transition? Are you still there or are you longer/shorter?

I'm currently at bsb and I want to get to MBL (natural stretched). Is it possible without much trimming/major cutting besides the occasional clean-up?

Hey, davis, how about changing this to a Super Long-Term Transitioning Support Thread?

Last edited: