Swimming and care of hair

Hi everyone

Summer is here and I love to swim. Right now I have been cutting it down to only 2 days a week because I have yet to purchase a good chelating poo. So, I usually wash with my creme of nature and dc for 30 minutes. I am 8 months into a transition from relaxed to natural. Anyone have any recommendations for a good low-no sulfate chelating poo and low-no cone conditioner? I prefer to use natural hair care products, but any suggestions will do. I want to be able to swim more. I have long hair and I need something that is moisterizing and doesn't help my hair tangle as 30% of it is "natural".

Also, is cowashing sufficient enough to rinsing out chlorine? Is sulfates needed in a shampoo when swimming?

Thank you all..

Kerryann

i cant really give you too much info but always put conditioner on your hair before swimming

heyfranz

i know you're supposed to drench your hair so it doesn't absorb the chlorine water, but i wonder how many times can you chelate in a week, and do you still need to chelate because your hair was already soaking wet and loaded up with condish when you got in the water.

I don't think it does. It's a big rubberband and my hair still gets wet. It defeats the purpose and IMO, the rubberband being attached to my strands is not the business. lol I pretty much refuse to wear them.

i know you're supposed to drench your hair so it doesn't absorb the chlorine water, but i wonder how many times can you chelate in a week, and do you still need to chelate because your hair was already soaking wet and loaded up with condish when you got in the water.

I wonder this too. I can't seem to find an answer. Looking on the internet, here: http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/10/clarifying-chelating-and-neutralizing-shampoos/ They list Aveda Shampure and JoicoKPak Chelating Poo as good shampoos. The Aveda would be perfect (no cones/sulfates, all natural) but it has protein and my hair is highly protein sensitive.

JinaRicci

IDK about a no-sulfate chelating poo- maybe someone else does. But you shouldn't have to use it more than 1x/week. I have found just rinsing my hair is sufficient to avoid it being straw-like after swimming and then using a poo to remove build-up no more than 1/wk but you shouldn't need to everytime you swim. hope that helps.

hmmmm

Aubrey organics has a normalizing poo with these ingredients
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Corn Syrup, Organic Aloe Vera, Citric Acid, Carrageenan, Organic Shea Butter, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Bitter Almond Oil, Aminobenzoic Acid, Aubrey's Preservative: (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E)

Here is the ingredients for the conditioner
INGREDIENTS: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Jojoba Oil, Horsetail Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Amino Acid Complex (Cysteine, Methionine), Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Bitter Almond Oil, Aubrey’s Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

it says it's for athletes (me, I am extremely athletic and I swim a lot)

"Has your hair been overexposed? Sun, salt, chlorine and perspiration can take their toll on unprotected hair. Take cover from dryness and brittleness with this protective, pH-normalizing shampoo. Naturally removes chlorine, minerals and other impurities to neutralize odor, prevent discoloration and leave hair soft, rebalanced and revitalized. Ideal for gray or blond hair. Safe for color-treated hair."

I tired the Aubrey Organics Honey suckle rose and it was a fail. Don't wanna waste my money on this stuff and its just as bad.

thats because the cap is not a cute accessory
That too. But for me it's 50/50. 50 for looks and 50 because it doesn't work.

IDK about a no-sulfate chelating poo- maybe someone else does. But you shouldn't have to use it more than 1x/week. I have found just rinsing my hair is sufficient to avoid it being straw-like after swimming and then using a poo to remove build-up no more than 1/wk but you shouldn't need to everytime you swim. hope that helps.

How often do you swim? Are you relaxed or natural?

I just want to know does chlorine rinse out with only water? Since it is a mineral, does it require a sulfate or other cleansing agent? Does it require a chelating agent to remove a chlorine buildup. I would HATE to lose so much hair. Adding fuel to the fire, I have some relaxed hair and I just don't think relaxer+ chlorine is a good thing over time.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Hey there, this has been a big issue for me the last couple of weeks, one that I've been writing about a lot of my blog. I am attempting to do a triathlon so I'm hitting the pool once or twice a week. I've used the AO swimmer's shampoo, see the review here.

I haven't noticed any damage yet but it's been a lot of work to keep up my hair. Here's what I've been doing:

1. Saturate my hair with tap water
2. Apply cheapie conditioner
3. Put on swim cap (I was using a silicone swim cap, but that sucker kept coming off, I have one with a chin strap now)
4. Go swim
5. Rinse hair with water immediately afterwards
6. Shampoo with diluted shampoo
7. Deep condition

The last time I did it, I didn't shampoo afterwards since my hair still felt pretty soaked with conditioner after I swam. I don't see any damage but it's only been a few weeks. This seems to be working though

Here is jason's Natural Sports Poo. They BOAST no sulfates/parabens and neglect to put their ingredients online. here is why:

Hawaiian Sea Kelp/Algae, Purified Soft Water, Sodium Myreth, Sulfate, Green Tea Extract, Peg-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Lauramide MEA, Marigold Extract, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Horsetail Extract (silica), Cocobetaine, Glycerin (vege), Aloe Vera Gel, Chamomile Extract, 22 Keratin Amino Acids, Avocadamide MEA, Comfrey Extract, Hampene Na (chelating agent), Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Alpha Tocopherol (vitamin E), Magnesium Sulfate, Peg-150 Distearate, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Panthenol, Comfrey, Methylparaebn, Biotin, Propylparaebn, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone 3, Essential Oils & Fragrance, Citric Acid (pH adjustment)

..yea...sooooo natural...RIGHT!

Hey there, this has been a big issue for me the last couple of weeks, one that I've been writing about a lot of my blog. I am attempting to do a triathlon so I'm hitting the pool once or twice a week. I've used the AO swimmer's shampoo, see the review here.

I haven't noticed any damage yet but it's been a lot of work to keep up my hair. Here's what I've been doing:

1. Saturate my hair with tap water
2. Apply cheapie conditioner
3. Put on swim cap (I was using a silicone swim cap, but that sucker kept coming off, I have one with a chin strap now)
4. Go swim
5. Rinse hair with water immediately afterwards
6. Shampoo with diluted shampoo
7. Deep condition

The last time I did it, I didn't shampoo afterwards since my hair still felt pretty soaked with conditioner after I swam. I don't see any damage but it's only been a few weeks. This seems to be working though
Thank you! I am going to the link now! Thank you!!!! This is so helpful!

Does your hair get wet with the swim cap on? Which one are you using? I may have to invest in a better one...

Leeda.the.Paladin

I wanted to add that I am planning to try a new plan:

Soak hair with conditioner, put back in a ponytail, use a ziplock bag and a band to secure the bag onto the pony. I will be trying this next week more than likely. I wonder if the band would be enough to keep the water out.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Thank you! I am going to the link now! Thank you!!!! This is so helpful!

Does your hair get wet with the swim cap on? Which one are you using? I may have to invest in a better one...

I have been using this one:

I look like grandma, but it stays on. It keeps the crown of my hair somewhat dry, but really it doesn't do that great of a job. But it stays on. With all of the conditioner gunked up on my head, other caps slip off.

JinaRicci

How often do you swim? Are you relaxed or natural?

I just want to know does chlorine rinse out with only water? Since it is a mineral, does it require a sulfate or other cleansing agent? Does it require a chelating agent to remove a chlorine buildup. I would HATE to lose so much hair. Adding fuel to the fire, I have some relaxed hair and I just don't think relaxer+ chlorine is a good thing over time.

I'm not swimming right now but when I do it's about 3x/wk. I am natural but have only been for a little over a yr so have been relaxed while swimming- which to me was harder.

IDK that a sulfate is needed to remove chlorine but it would seem that you need something reactive enough to bind it-- like the sodium from the sodium sulfates could bind the chlorine... something to that effect.

O Em Gee! I am so stuck up and I don't know if I can do it. But, I will give it a try.

That is too funny- but I feel you. I use a Speedo cap- it is very tight- so not at all cute plus the goggles- well you can just imagine. But it works pretty well unless I do a lot of diving then the edges of my hair might get wet. It is still much better than w/o anything on. I rinse my swim cap immediately with tap water to keep it tight. Even if my hair doesn't get wet, I still do an occasional treatment since chlorine is a gas and can get in my hair by just being around the pool as the water evaporates.

Libra08

I have been using this one:

I look like grandma, but it stays on. It keeps the crown of my hair somewhat dry, but really it doesn't do that great of a job. But it stays on. With all of the conditioner gunked up on my head, other caps slip off.

Where did you buy this cap? Thanks!

apollo

I use to swim a lot when I was younger, and water would always get under the swimming cap and the wet rubber swim cap against the hair breaks the hair badly. So I would just put conditioner on my dry hair and put it in a bun and have less damage.