Tamoxifen & Hair Thinning

Snuckles

Is there anyone here taking tamoxifen and experience any hair thinning? Have you found anything to combat this? I'm at a loss, little depressed at the thought that I have to take this drug for another 2-3 years. I'm sure to be balded by then.

Anyone?

comike

Have you been taking Tamoxifen long? Hair thinning is a very rare side effect of the drug and I'd say it should wear off after continued use.

Snuckles

Hi Comike, thanks for responding. I've been taking it since Oct 2005. Yes, the doctor kept telling me that it wasn't the drug that was causing the hair loss, but I've lost soooooooo much hair over the last couple of years. Tamoxifen has been the only constant. I'm just so upset with myself for not believing it was this drug in the 1st place. I’ve always blamed other things thinking it couldn't be this drug, but I know it is.

It's just very depressing to go through chemo, losing all of my hair, growing it all back only to lose it again.

I’m going in for a complete physical Oct 17 to make sure everything else is okay, but yes, I’m sure it’s this drug.

I’ve been using Mega-Tek for the last couple of months. I’m wondering if I should continue or switch to something like minoxidil until I’m done with this drug. I guess I have 2 more years of taking it.

I’m also curious as to if my hair will return after I’m done with tamoxifen?

Thanks for any input.

shmmr

I have absolutely nothing to add, just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what you're going through and I hope you find a solution...:love3:

comike

Hi Comike, thanks for responding. I've been taking it since Oct 2005. Yes, the doctor kept telling me that it wasn't the drug that was causing the hair loss, but I've lost soooooooo much hair over the last couple of years. Tamoxifen has been the only constant. I'm just so upset with myself for not believing it was this drug in the 1st place. I’ve always blamed other things thinking it couldn't be this drug, but I know it is.

It's just very depressing to go through chemo, losing all of my hair, growing it all back only to lose it again.

I’m going in for a complete physical Oct 17 to make sure everything else is okay, but yes, I’m sure it’s this drug.

I’ve been using Mega-Tek for the last couple of months. I’m wondering if I should continue or switch to something like minoxidil until I’m done with this drug. I guess I have 2 more years of taking it.

I’m also curious as to if my hair will return after I’m done with tamoxifen?

Thanks for any input.

Well I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and I hope things turn out OK at your physical. My aunt took Tamoxifen for 5 years and never had any problems with hair loss or thinning. She even had a relaxer. Although the drug label states hair thinning is minimal, you can't rule it out especially if you're experiencing it and can't contribute it to any other cause. Maybe you should see a dermatologist. Maybe they can suggest something that will work well with the Tamoxifen. Have you ever tried the Nioxin line of hair products, especially their vitamins?

Last edited: