Tell Me Why A Beautician...

Nice & Wavy

....asked me today where did I buy my ponypuff because she has been searching high and low for a natural looking one and can't find one?

Well, when I told her that this is my hair, she tried to snatch at it and I jumped back and said "whoaaaaaa girl" what are you trying to do?

Her: You lyin...that is not your hair
Me: No, I'm not lying, don't touch my hair
Her: I'm a beautician and I know real hair when I see it and although your ponytail looks real, I know the difference.
Me: Well, to let you know you don't know what you are talking about, I'm going to show you what they don't teach you in school.....so,

I took my ponytail holder off and fluffed my hair out in her face, and she almost passed out!!!!

Ya'll should have heard her apologizing and everything (of course I told her its all good).

She then asked me.....ya'll ready for this???....."can you help a sister out?"
She then snatched off her hat and I couldn't believe it! She is natural, but she looked like she never put anything in her hair but shampoo...! I felt so bad for her, I just wrote down every PJ product I could think of and she said she is going to purchase these things and will call me in a month to let me know her progress.

Of course I gave her a regimine....can you believe that? I had to give "her" a regimine!!! She is a beautician because I see her working at a salon near my house.

After I left, I laughed hard but then I realized....we are truly blessed on LHCF to have each other to support and encourage. There are so many that will need our help and we can learn so much here to take to the ends of the earth....how special we all are!!!

LHCF ROCKS!!!!

JazzyDez

wow. I can't believe that she tried to snatch your hair and call you a liar! your are better than me girl becuse I would NOT have helped her after that! you handled the situation well.

Nice & Wavy

JazzyDez said:
wow. I can't believe that she tried to snatch your hair and call you a liar! your are better than me girl becuse I would NOT have helped her after that! you handled the situation well.

Well,she didn't know any better so, had to help a sister out, right?

glamazon386

Nice & Wavy said:
Well,she didn't know any better so, had to help a sister out, right?

You didn't have to. But you chose too. And that was very nice of you. :) A lot of people don't know how to deal with natural hair though. Even stylists.

KnottyGurl

Gurl, you just saved about 1000 heads of hair! Just imagine how many people she's going to serve over the life of her career. Ya done good!:lol:

ETA: I'm rating this 5 stars. I hope that other members will read it and realize that, like tsturnbu, most beauticians don't know any more than they do. I'm not knocking beauticians in general, but the truth is the truth. It should also encourge them to continue to be diligent about caring for their hair. Thanks for sharing the story.

Last edited:

Tee

I like how you got her all up out your hair!!
That was so nice of you help her out. :yep:

tsturnbu

this is evidence (anecdoctal, of course) that just because a person is a licensed beautician doesnt mean they know more about hair than their non-licensed customers who go into the salon.

This is exactly why beauticians and I do not get along. I always assume I know more about hair than they (heck, usually i am right!!!!!!!!)

lisana

Wow, she really NEEDED your hair to be fake. It was very nice of you to share yor regimine with her. I hope she learned something.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I'm not suprised. Cosmetology courses are geared toward straight hair. From what I've read you cant even take a final exam with a natural textured hair model, it has be straight. When folx want to be natural if they arent blessed enough to have folx around them with natural hair or grow up with info and technique passed down , then they are own their own for ferreting out info. I wish something like LHCF had been around 15 or so years ago when I tried to go natural the first time.

Nice & Wavy

RelaxerRehab said:
Gotta admire that beautician's honesty!!!!!

Hopefully she'll get turned on to healthy hair via you and LCHF!

She was very honest...lol!

I think she will and I'll keep you guys posted.

Nice & Wavy

bmoreflyygirl said:
You didn't have to. But you chose too. And that was very nice of you. :) A lot of people don't know how to deal with natural hair though. Even stylists.

I agree, most people don't know...shoot I'm still learning and it will be almost one whole year next month!

Nice & Wavy

GeechyGurl said:
Gurl, you just saved about 1000 heads of hair! Just imagine how many people she's going to serve over the life of her career. Ya done good!:lol:[/
QUOTE]

Thanks....I didn't even think about that!

Nice & Wavy

Letitia said:
I like how you got her all up out your hair!!
That was so nice of you help her out. :yep:

Lol...I know right.

Thank you, it wouldn't have been LHCF lady like not to help her. Trust me, she need help.

chayil0427

:eek: :eek: :eek: That is CRAAAAAAAAAAZY! Well I glad you showed HER what's up! Those curls are beautiful! I'm sure she hit the floor! :lachen: It's really sad some black women don't think black women can have beautiful natural curls or long hair. Hopefully the members of this board can help change that.

Chayil

Nice & Wavy

tsturnbu said:
this is evidence (anecdoctal, of course) that just because a person is a licensed beautician doesnt mean they know more about hair than their non-licensed customers who go into the salon.

This is exactly why beauticians and I do not get along. I always assume I know more about hair than they (heck, usually i am right!!!!!!!!)

I haven't been to a salon in so long. I mean even before I found LHCF and I was relaxed, I did everything myself, except to go to this one place called 'Yoles' to get a wash, set and wrap every now and then when I didn't feel like doing my hair.

Its sad because I'm sure there are so many really good beauticians....we have one here on LHCF that people rave about (hi, Balisi) and if she lived close by, I would be at her salon all the time.

Thanks for responding.

Nice & Wavy

Enchantmt said:
I'm not suprised. Cosmetology courses are geared toward straight hair. From what I've read you cant even take a final exam with a natural textured hair model, it has be straight. When folx want to be natural if they arent blessed enough to have folx around them with natural hair or grow up with info and technique passed down , then they are own their own for ferreting out info. I wish something like LHCF had been around 15 or so years ago when I tried to go natural the first time.

ITA. Maybe now, these schools should look into teaching more about doing natural hair because of this very thing.

Lisana - I hope she learned something too...everything is not always what it appears to be.

Candy - its all good...I forgave her right away when she apologized. I think she really just didn't believe me so that was her first response.

sweetnlow06

That was very nice of you! I don't know why people feel they can just go around pulling on people's hair. The wrong person could have really hurt her! My hat's off to you.:grin:

Nice & Wavy

Thanks for all the posters who responded.

This has me thinking....knowledge is a great thing.

Before we all had LHCF, we were struggling just like so many people we come into contact with on a daily basis. As people of color, we have been struggling most of our lives to find "Our Place" in the haircare world, only to be told that our hair won't grow, or its dry and can't get shine unless we slap a jar of Dixie Peach or Ultra Sheen hairdress on our already precious, fragile strands.

We have come a long way and whether we are natural, relaxed or texlaxed, as long as we have healthy hair, we can achieve long, beautiful hair just like anyone else

I appreciate this forum and all those who share their success and failures...its a special place...so much so that we are on here morning, noon and night...LOL!!!

Blessings!

Dandelion

Nice & Wavy said:
<snip> Of course I gave her a regimine....can you believe that? I had to give "her" a regimine!!! She is a beautician because I see her working at a salon near my house.
Not only can I believe it, it explains why so many of us who have been under the care of "professionals" have such damaged hair! Relying on advice and guidance from such "pros", we don't stand a chance! Thank heaven for LHCF and other boards! Fantastic story!

Dandelion

Nice & Wavy

sareca said:
Ok, I think that's my all time favorite LHCF story.

Wow, really Sareca? I'm kinda of glad that I did share it then. I was talking to my dh about it and he told me that I did the right thing by helping her and that maybe now, she will listen to her patrons more and be willing to get their hair to be healthy too. ITA with him.

Thanks.

Nice & Wavy

sareca said:
Ok, I think that's my all time favorite LHCF story.

Wow, really Sareca? I'm kinda of glad that I did share it then. I was talking to my dh about it and he told me that I did the right thing by helping her and that maybe now, she will listen to her patrons more and be willing to get their hair to be healthy too. ITA with him.

Making me think about changing fields.....hmmmm!

Thanks.

CurleeDST

I think there are some certified natural hair courses for sisterlocs, locs and natural hair provided by Taalijah Waajid to name a few. I think people are so amazed at seeing black women with lush and long hair and it actually be theres. I am glad you did not get offended by her comments because honestly - so many people wear fake pieces, to hear someone is actually wearing their own hair is amazing! I had a similar situation happen with me with some professional black women but when I showed them this was actually all my hair they were satisfied and commended me on it . Heck, many of them now want to go natural.

Keep sharing the wealth - each one teach one and you have gorgeous hair btw!

Nice & Wavy said:
ITA. Maybe now, these schools should look into teaching more about doing natural hair because of this very thing.

Lisana - I hope she learned something too...everything is not always what it appears to be.

Candy - its all good...I forgave her right away when she apologized. I think she really just didn't believe me so that was her first response.