Tell Me Why A Beautician...

Nice & Wavy

Chayill - thanks for the compliment. Its difficult to see how we all can't fathom that women of color can have beautiful, healthy strands of hair!

Smitge - thanks, girl.

Sweetandlow - I wonder if some people feel as though they have a right to pull or touch or whatever your hair. I hear this more and more in threads here on the forum.

Dandelion - its sad but true. I think the message here on LHCF need to go out more into our everyday lives to as many that will listen. Thanks.

Nice & Wavy

CurleeDST said:
I think there are some certified natural hair courses for sisterlocs, locs and natural hair provided by Taalijah Waajid to name a few. I think people are so amazed at seeing black women with lush and long hair and it actually be theres. I am glad you did not get offended by her comments because honestly - so many people wear fake pieces, to hear someone is actually wearing their own hair is amazing! I had a similar situation happen with me with some professional black women but when I showed them this was actually all my hair they were satisfied and commended me on it . Heck, many of them now want to go natural.

Keep sharing the wealth - each one teach one and you have gorgeous hair btw!

ITA with you! Each one teach one! I think I'm going to put that in my siggy...thanks.

You are so right though...and I realized that after we spoke that she thought that my hair was fake, and of course I couldn't get angry at her...she just didn't know, I just didn't want her to touch my hair so I did react.

Thanks for responding and for the compliment....I love your hair too!

sareca

Nice & Wavy said:
Wow, really Sareca? I'm kinda of glad that I did share it then. I was talking to my dh about it and he told me that I did the right thing by helping her and that maybe now, she will listen to her patrons more and be willing to get their hair to be healthy too. ITA with him.

Making me think about changing fields.....hmmmm!

Thanks.

I think you'd make a great hair consultant and I also think beauticians should be the customers. :yep:

Twisties

bmoreflyygirl said:
You didn't have to. But you chose too. And that was very nice of you. :) A lot of people don't know how to deal with natural hair though. Even stylists.

This is VERY true. I travel to the braid salons with my own comb and have taught some how to detangle natural hair. They get to giggling and actin' silly when they see the bush come from under the scarf. So I school them....

A lot of folks CAN'T, DONT', and WON'T, --- deal with natural hair. :ohwell:

Nice & Wavy

sareca said:
I think you'd make a great hair consultant and I also think beauticians should be the customers. :yep:

Sareca...why are you all up in my head???? LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

Energist

Wow, that is kinda' crazy :ohwell: I'm glad that you were the bigger person and helped her. Plenty of women would eat that situation right up and diss her! You have a great spirit :)

MizAvalon

Dandelion said:
Not only can I believe it, it explains why so many of us who have been under the care of "professionals" have such damaged hair! Relying on advice and guidance from such "pros", we don't stand a chance! Thank heaven for LHCF and other boards! Fantastic story!

Dandelion

Agreed. I'm glad that you let her know what was up but it also makes me sad. People trust her with their hair, she gets paid for it, and she doesn't even know how to take care of her own properly. :(

Nice & Wavy

Twisties said:
This is VERY true. I travel to the braid salons with my own comb and have taught some how to detangle natural hair. They get to giggling and actin' silly when they see the bush come from under the scarf. So I school them....

A lot of folks CAN'T, DONT', and WON'T, --- deal with natural hair. :ohwell:

Wow, thanks for sharing.

Nice & Wavy

MizAvalon said:
Agreed. I'm glad that you let her know what was up but it also makes me sad. People trust her with their hair, she gets paid for it, and she doesn't even know how to take care of her own properly. :(

Well, I just hope that I can continue to help in some small way to make a change.

Thanks for responding.

Blackoutzangel05

You are a sweetie! I don't know if I would have helped her but then again I was sitting here just praying that you took that lovely puff down to show her your glory!

I wouldn't know what to do with my hair if it wasn't for this board and I would have been like that myself, just washing and praying that I was washing the perm out. But now I knwo that I have to take care of my hair now in order for it to grow and get where I want it to be, which is long, lavish and healthy!

Nice & Wavy

Blackoutzangel05 said:
You are a sweetie! I don't know if I would have helped her but then again I was sitting here just praying that you took that lovely puff down to show her your glory!

I wouldn't know what to do with my hair if it wasn't for this board and I would have been like that myself, just washing and praying that I was washing the perm out. But now I knwo that I have to take care of my hair now in order for it to grow and get where I want it to be, which is long, lavish and healthy!

Well thank you my dear!

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would hope that someone who knew what to do would help me too, and I know that can also be with any area of our lives.

so1913

That was VERY kind of you to help her out! You could have been real nasty about it, but you chose to be sisterly, that's what's up!

Nice & Wavy

so1913 said:
That was VERY kind of you to help her out! You could have been real nasty about it, but you chose to be sisterly, that's what's up!

Thanks, sis! I know you would have done the same because you have a sweet spirit!

Country gal

There should be a LHCF card so folks will know how to get help. I feel excited whenever I see the fake ponytails that resemble my hair. I got the real thing. :lol:

remnant

Nice & Wavy said:
She was very honest...lol!

I think she will and I'll keep you guys posted.

Great story, You have a kind spirit lady!
I'm waiting for updated about her!:)

pistachio

Although I'd be pissed at her, it was mature of her to appologize and actually admit that she needed your help. Some chicks when caught in the wrong, would've just popped their lips and rolled their eyes and act like they didn't need any help. Good story!! :)

gymfreak336

pistachio said:
Although I'd be pissed at her, it was mature of her to appologize and actually admit that she needed your help. Some chicks when caught in the wrong, would've just popped their lips and rolled their eyes and act like they didn't need any help. Good story!! :)

ITA!!

Go head with ya bad self Nice and Wavy;) Now when she calls you goahead and tell her to pay her 5 bucks and hop on the good foot.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Yes, she did. Now it's like she's the "beautician's" guardian angel. :)

JazzyDez said:
wow. I can't believe that she tried to snatch your hair and call you a liar! your are better than me girl becuse I would NOT have helped her after that! you handled the situation well.

Nice & Wavy

Country gal said:
There should be a LHCF card so folks will know how to get help. I feel excited whenever I see the fake ponytails that resemble my hair. I got the real thing. :lol:

You said it girl! That sounds good! When she calls me, I'll give her the website info so she can log on and join!

Proudpiscean

It's scary to think that she is actually doing folks hair, but it happens everyday! Thankfully she met you though ;)

BrooklynSouth

Nice & Wavy said:
....asked me today where did I buy my ponypuff because she has been searching high and low for a natural looking one and can't find one?

Well, when I told her that this is my hair, she tried to snatch at it and I jumped back and said "whoaaaaaa girl" what are you trying to do?

Her: You lyin...that is not your hair
Me: No, I'm not lying, don't touch my hair
Her: I'm a beautician and I know real hair when I see it and although your ponytail looks real, I know the difference.
Me: Well, to let you know you don't know what you are talking about, I'm going to show you what they don't teach you in school.....so,

I took my ponytail holder off and fluffed my hair out in her face, and she almost passed out!!!!

Ya'll should have heard her apologizing and everything (of course I told her its all good).

She then asked me.....ya'll ready for this???....."can you help a sister out?"
She then snatched off her hat and I couldn't believe it! She is natural, but she looked like she never put anything in her hair but shampoo...! I felt so bad for her, I just wrote down every PJ product I could think of and she said she is going to purchase these things and will call me in a month to let me know her progress.

Of course I gave her a regimine....can you believe that? I had to give "her" a regimine!!! She is a beautician because I see her working at a salon near my house.

After I left, I laughed hard but then I realized....we are truly blessed on LHCF to have each other to support and encourage. There are so many that will need our help and we can learn so much here to take to the ends of the earth....how special we all are!!!

LHCF ROCKS!!!!

Confirmation of the general LHCF belief..."Hair dressers/stylists/beauticians...whatever do not know everything". Good of you to share with her.