Ten Absolute-Don’ts of Great Hair

hope5506

1. Avoid unprofessional and over-the-counter hair care products whenever you can. Many of these only offer false hopes and promises.

2. Do not cut your own bangs. Leave all of your cutting needs, even bangs, to your hair care professional.

3. Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water during the summer months. Excessive exposure can cause severe damage that is irreversible even if you use the best hair care products.

4. Do not use clarifying hair care products on your tresses more than one time per week. They can strip hair of moisture and essential oils.

Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.

. Do not purchase hair color that comes in a box.

7. Never stick with an outdated look because you are afraid of looking different. Styles change for a reason. Ask your hair care professional to bring you into this decade with a new style.

8. Do not straighten your hair with a clothes iron. C'mon, this was so over in the 70s. We have straightening irons now that won't damage your hair. Look in the hair care isle.

Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.

10. Never use sun-lightening products such as lemon juice or over-the-counter hair care products designed to lighten hair with the sun unless you want a very short hair cut in the future.

Rei

8. Do not straighten your hair with a clothes iron. C'mon, this was so over in the 70s. We have straightening irons now that won't damage your hair. Look in the hair care isle.

...wat. do people really do this!?:lachen:

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America

Oh, my, GOD! I made this mistake before! I relaxed 2 weeks after coloring, and all my hair came out. Where was this list when my college roommate and I were dying my hair?

BostonMaria

9. Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.

If I DON'T brush my hair while wet...it can get ugly. A few weeks ago I literally broke a brush in half trying to do this.

The cornrows and tight styles part should be ok since I have "ethnic" hair. I guess that's the politically correct way to say nappy LOL

ImFree27

1. Avoid unprofessional and over-the-counter hair care products whenever you can. Many of these only offer false hopes and promises.

2. Do not cut your own bangs. Leave all of your cutting needs, even bangs, to your hair care professional.

3. Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water during the summer months. Excessive exposure can cause severe damage that is irreversible even if you use the best hair care products.

4. Do not use clarifying hair care products on your tresses more than one time per week. They can strip hair of moisture and essential oils.

5. Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.

6. Do not purchase hair color that comes in a box.

7. Never stick with an outdated look because you are afraid of looking different. Styles change for a reason. Ask your hair care professional to bring you into this decade with a new style.

9. Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.

10. Never use sun-lightening products such as lemon juice or over-the-counter hair care products designed to lighten hair with the sun unless you want a very short hair cut in the future.

I don't agree with the highlighted...:nono:

Solitude

Yeah, um, I use "unprofessional" & "over-the-counter" products & my hair grows. :ohwell:

Um....why??? So they can cut all of your hair off?

Ooooh "irreversible!!!"

Well...this kinda depends on how many/ what kind of products you use in your hair, I guess.

Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.

Or you can just do your hair at home.

Where does the color that stylists use come from?

I prefer to focus on healthy hair rather than "the latest style."

I had Caucasian friends in high school with MBL+ hair that did this & it was just fine. The degree of heat is the same as a flat iron, sooo...

Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.

No need for me to comment on this one.

What???? Is this saying don't use natural techniques over chemicals? :lachen:
Or is it saying that if you lighten your hair on your own, you will have to go to the "professional stylist" to get your hair cut. I'm confused.

So, this was a satire, right? If not, just ignore my post :grin:.

Solitude

...wat. do people really do this!?:lachen:

What in the world.... I have never seen this done at all either.

Yes, I had Hispanic and Caucasian friends with very long hair who did this. It was popular before straightening "flat irons." People with fine hair cannot use pressing combs b/c it is hard to control the degree of heat- and pressing combs used to be the only thing out. Unlike an iron, on which you can easily adjust the heat setting, even on the old models from the '60's & '70's.

See the attached pic....I feel kinda bad for posting this girl's pic, but it came up when I googled it & I blocked her face out, so...

Last edited:

JustKiya

Yes, I had Hispanic and Caucasian friends with very long hair who did this. It was popular before straightening "flat irons." People with fine hair cannot use pressing combs b/c it is hard to control the degree of heat- and pressing combs used to be the only thing out. Unlike an iron, on which you can easily adjust the heat setting, even on the old models from the '60's & '70's.

See the attached pic....I feel kinda bad for posting this girl's pic, but it came up when I googled it & I blocked her face out, so...

That's actually kinda smart. :lol:

Qualitee

I wonder what setting she put the iron on cotton or silk?:rolleyes:

Sarahh.

Yes, but profession hair care products can offer false hopes and promises too.

I've cut my hair, including bangs, for years and I haven't had any trouble.

5. Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.

Very true!

Why not? I've used a colour in a box many times and had no problems.

Straightening irons DO damage your hair, a lot.

Just my opininons.
:)

Solitude

hmmmmmm :ohwell: either a salon owner or hair stylist wrote this!:yep: cuz some of it is kinda not true from my own experience:nono:

This member (OP) posts random info. "Trolling"

Yes@ ppl ironing their hair w/ a regular iron. It was quite common in the 70's. I had friend Caucasian and Hispanic friends who did this when we were teens.

jaszymeen

Oh, my, GOD! I made this mistake before! I relaxed 2 weeks after coloring, and all my hair came out. Where was this list when my college roommate and I were dying my hair?

that was a disaster waiting to happen especially if you didnt do any protein or moisture treatments or anything to rebalance your ph