Texlax vs. bone straight!

sweetpeadst

This is a general question to all! Do you think that it is better to texlax or not get the hair bone straight to achieve longer lengths?? I have been noticing alot of you are doing this? What is the difference in texlaxed and texturized??

Last edited:

baglady215

I don't know if it's better, I just know that my hair won't get bone straight. I've tried and tried, and now I don't care. It's straight enough for my liking, and it gets really straight if I flat iron. Bone straight would seem like it may be weaker and more prone to breakage I guess.

lexi08

Hi. I do think it is better to texlax (for me). I have been doing this for the past several years and my hair is thicker ( i am type 4a). I have my stylist use a regular or mild relaxer ( Design Essentials) and she only smoothes through my roots one time during application, which takes about 10-15 min, then she rinses immediately. I like the texture of my hair much better than when it was relaxed bone straight. I wish I would have discovered this years ago along with stretching relaxers. The combination of stretching to 12 weeks and texlaxing has been very good for my hair, its stronger and thicker. I was not interested in transitioning to be fully natural, but this has been the next best thing for me. I am type 4a.

Nsslovely

To second baglady just imagine a stick it's real strong and straight but it also can snap in half in an instance. Hope my little sypnosis helps, it was explained to me differently pertaining to hair being too strong and straight(overuse of relaxers and protein)

sweetpeadst

I am using Phytorelaxer so what are your suggestions on not getting bone straight? What do most of you consider texlax??

Victorian

old head
I am not relaxed anymore but I was for a long time and I think it really just depends on your hair. In general I think not leaving the relaxer on too long is working for people. Whether that leaves you with more of a texturized look or with bone straight hair is what depends on your particular head of hair. My hair always ended up stick straight and my hair grew fine--but I would always rinse just a couple minutes after my mom finished applying the relaxer (usually smoothing the last section more to make sure it was relaxed evenly). But like in baglady's case, I think some people's hair will only get so straight with the relaxer. Leaving the relaxer on longer won't necessarily make it much straighter but it will cause damage just the same.

So to make my point more succintly, I think it's really about the TIME and not necessarily how much curl is left in your hair at the end.

ETA: My general advice is to follow the directions. If you think you could get just as good results with a shorter time then definitely go for it. I don't know anything about texturizing/texlaxing specifically though.

Last edited:

sweetpeadst

BlackCardinal said:
I am not relaxed anymore but I was for a long time and I think it really just depends on your hair. In general I think not leaving the relaxer on too long is working for people. Whether that leaves you with more of a texturized look or with bone straight hair is what depends on your particular head of hair. My hair always ended up stick straight and my hair grew fine--but I would always rinse just a couple minutes after my mom finished applying the relaxer (usually smoothing the last section more to make sure it was relaxed evenly). But like in baglady's case, I think some people's hair will only get so straight with the relaxer. Leaving the relaxer on longer won't necessarily make it much straighter but it will cause damage just the same.

So to make my point more succintly, I think it's really about the TIME and not necessarily how much curl is left in your hair at the end.

ETA: My general advice is to follow the directions. If you think you could get just as good results with a shorter time then definitely go for it. I don't know anything about texturizing/texlaxing specifically though.

Thanks for your comments! I will see!!

melodee

To me, texlaxing is texturing with a sodium or calcium hydroxide product used to relax( a relaxer) while texurizing is using a thio based product desgned for creating a loose curl. Texlaxing is still texturizing, but it's a fancy way of saying texturzing with a relaxer product.

Others may have a different definition, but this is mine.

I think it depends on your preference. Having texturized hair requires more care and more product to keep the curls fresh or to straighten into a flat style. But it gives you more options, and it leaves the strand less stripped and a little coarser (not as fine/snappable). You have to decide what you prefer.

The other prob with texturizing is getting the same texture each time. It's best to do it yourself or go to the same stylists, so that it doesn't under or over process.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I think it depends on the hair. My texlaxed hair has thickened up so much, that I don't think relaxing is an option for me.i can't flat iron it or wrap it strait. My wave patern in my hair is very pronounced. :eek: This has never happened to me before and I was very fearful of it. Then I decided if my hair won't relax, I might as well go natural. As a kid, when I was nat. last...my hair was so thick. it would break combs and brushes! Mtg has made this texture more thick, and i kid u not, I would not dare try to comb my hair without it being wet and without a leave in conditioner in it. :lol: I wonder if mtg changed my hair texture, but as of now, I have more relaxed hair than natural. I don't know if it is bc I tried to relax the texturized hair more, but my ng is more wavier than i ever remembered it being.Mine happened by mistake, so I can't tell u whether I think it is better or not. My hair only looks good wet. I wish i could get a product to make it look wet all day. A girl said it looked like a wave nouveau. Any tips, guys? :ohwell:

brazenxvirtue

With me, like some others have mentioned, my hair just won't get completely straight. I've always used a mild relaxer and since I used to blowdry/flat iron a lot, the difference never mattered. It's a little trickier when you're staying away from heat... the pattern is too loose for a texturized wash and go and some parts of the hair don't straighten as nicely as others depending on the technique. But hey, it's far better than being overprocessed.

I think it just depends on your hair, the relaxer, and how long you leave it in. It's hard to tell how straight it is when you first relax (it may look straighter and then curls up later) so attempting to do it on purpose might be tougher to figure out, but I don't know. My silly hair just has a mind of its own. Finding the point between texturized and relaxed. Hmm. I'd say try leaving a mild in with less smoothing. HTH!

Isis

For me, not relaxing my hair bone straight results in stronger hair. As I mentioned in another thread, my hair has never been bone straight, even in the past with my hair overprocessed and heat damaged. So now, although I am still using chemicals, I'm working with my hair and I love the results.

ADB

For me texturizing is best. I have never had my hair relaxed bone straight. I was natural all my life until Dec 2003. I decided I wanted my curl pattern looser but I wanted my hair to remain strong. I had always feared getting a relaxer because of breakage. With my texturizer I feel I have the best of both worlds. If I ever want to go natural again I can easily, and still keep my texturized hair. The curl pattern is not that different. My hair is still very strong, thick, and a whole lot easier to manage. Most days I just wash and go

L

lkg4healthyhair

Hi Sweet, I used to think I had to have my hair bone straight but I realized my fine strands do not need to be straight and I also felt this was working against me (making hair weaker/more shedding).

My last relaxer was with Phyto Index 1 and while my hair dresser was putting it in my hair she said "This is a great relaxer but it will not get your hair bone straight." I told her that was fine because I no longer want my hair bone straight.

Well IMO it came out fine and was straight enough while wet and after a root blow out (pic in avatar). She left the product in for 20 min total.

This is the first time I did not have any shedding post relaxer and I hope that it will be stronger in the long run. I will probably continue with the 20 minute time going forward because I like the results (also listed on instructions for fine hair).