Texturizer: post your before & after pictures!

Auburn

A texturizer curls the hair more right? :look:
(Im thinking texlax takes out the curls some & I want to see the opposite.)
Show me what it did for you!

MissBCurly

From what I have been told a texturizer is just a mild relaxer that you do not leave on as long as a relaxer and that u dont smooth out so it defines the curls moe=re, not sure but thats what I have been told.

vkb247

your right missBcurly...the only thing that can make your hair curlier than it already is is a curly perm (think about the perms that girls with naturally straight hair get to have curls).

This is still not a "make it more curly" option for most of us with highly textured hair because they don't make curlers that are smaller than most of our natural curls

czyfaith77

The difference between a texturizer and textured hair is the chemical being used. A texturizer is thiosulfate based.

Hair that has been textured, usually put the use of a [LYE] relaxer,combed through, and left on the hair for a short period of time.

If you should choose to later go bone straight with a "textured" (hair textured with a Lye relaxer) hair you can.

You are not suppose to put a relaxer over a texturizer (the thiosulfate and the chemical in relaxers are not to be mixed. HTH

I edited to clarify

Last edited:

Kurlee

Basically a texturizer is a lower concentration formula of a relaxer, but is made up of lye (sodium hydroxide) or no lye (calcium hydroxide + activator or lithium hydroxide). The thio kind above is in relation to a different process similar to the jerri curl, wave nouveau, etc. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A TEXTURIZER!

A texturizer can loosen the curl pattern which already exists in the hair, but cannot create a curl that does not already exist. Some use relaxers for shorter periods of time to "texturize", but I have only seen this work on a handful of heads. If you choose to texturize, use a texturizer, preferably a lye formula, and yes if you choose to go bone straight you have to do what is called a corrective, which means you would process the hair fully straight instead of rinsing when still curly.

flowinlocks

Basically a texturizer is a lower concentration formula of a relaxer, but is made up of lye (sodium hydroxide) or no lye (calcium hydroxide + activator or lithium hydroxide). The thio kind above is in relation to a different process similar to the jerri curl, wave nouveau, etc. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A TEXTURIZER!

A texturizer can loosen the curl pattern which already exists in the hair, but cannot create a curl that does not already exist. Some use relaxers for shorter periods of time to "texturize", but I have only seen this work on a handful of heads. If you choose to texturize, use a texturizer, preferably a lye formula, and yes if you choose to go bone straight you have to do what is called a corrective, which means you would process the hair fully straight instead of rinsing when still curly.

Absolutely correct!!!:yep:

czyfaith77

Thanks for the clarification but the older texturizer "kits" did used to have the thiosulfates in them. I know because I use to wear one many years ago. Though I would not be surprised if many have improved their formulas for just this reason...people wanting to change back and forth.

I do understand using lye relaxers (not the thiosulfate) to texture hair.

Last edited: