That's it....I am SOOO over rollersetting!!!!

Ms_Twana

I just can not rollerset for the life of me. I have tried several times now. I have watched plenty of videos and read plenty of threads. I just can not do it. I started rollersetting my hair tonight at about 11:00. Four and a half hours later I'm under the dryer, drying my braids for a braid out.

I just can't get the rollers to stay tight. Being that I am texlaxed, if the rollers aren't tight, it's a wrap for me. This is soo frustrating for me because I went from natural to texlax so that I could straighten my hair without heat. As of right now. that was pointless. :wallbash:

Maybe I need to try HUGE rollers. But then will they fit under the dryer?? For those of you that rollerset with BSB/BSL hair, what size rollers do you use??

I bought rollers several years ago but couldnt even dare attempt a roller set after trying the front :nono:. It is very intimidating and very difficult for someone without experience. I doubt I will ever do one. Have you thought about Curlformers? ( I made 2 threads on them lol, one where I hated them , one where I had a change of heart after "getting" them ) Theres definitely some learning but its way easier than rollersetting because I got it after a few sessions. Flexirods or Curlformers are probably the next best thing to roller sets but I guess not if youre going for straight styles....

Ms_Twana

I bought rollers several years ago but couldnt even dare attempt a roller set after trying the front :nono:. It is very intimidating and very difficult for someone without experience. I doubt I will ever do one. Have you thought about Curlformers? ( I made 2 threads on them lol, one where I hated them , one where I had a change of heart after "getting" them ) Theres definitely some learning but its way easier than rollersetting because I got it after a few sessions. Flexirods or Curlformers are probably the next best thing to roller sets but I guess not if youre going for straight styles....

Yeah, I saw your threads. :lachen:I have tried curlformers. I wanted to try to used the extra wide ones to see if I could do a silk wrap with them just like a rollerset. Unfortunately (I guess it's actually a good thing though) my hair is too long for the long curlformers, and they don't have extra wide and extra long. I did email the creator though to see if they've considered making them. :yep:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Sorry if you've answered them elsewhere, but I have a few questions:

1. Which way are you rolling?
2. How are you rolling them? (In four sections, mohawk method, no rhyme or reason method?)
3. How are you anchoring them? (To each other, or to your head?)
4. Have you tried flexi-rods?
5. What size rollers are you using now?

longhairlover

for your length i'd use gray to black rollers, depending on the dryer you have the black rollers would work too and you can add more hair because of the rollers size, rolling up on the sides helps, having the strands held straight but not too taut helps to smooth the roots a little, but you have to remember you are still going to have some waves at the roots because of the clip placement. rolling the hair too tight will result in breakage the hair shrinks when it dries so too tight = breakage.

it takes practice and patience at one point I gave up rollersetting but after my thousandth attempt I got it right.

if the slide in clips are stressing you try roller bobby pins they are the jumbo bobby pins but for rollers the tips are xtra strong and they hold the rollers well.

caramelma

You can use the rollers that comes with the clamps on top of them, its so much easier than using the metal clamps.

Day Dreamer

Ahhhhh. Do not give up. I am having some issues as well so you are not alone. I joined a rollersetting challenge so that I could practice more (i do it well on dry hair but not so much on wet hair). Just try a big roller like the black or the purple one so that you could put more hair on it and have less to do. I am with you in the struggle :)

LaToya28

I've tried magnetics and couldn't get the hang of it, so I said screw 'em! I now use the snap-on ones. I also use large perm rods and flexirods. I'm sure you'll have much better success if you try different rollers that are easier to use.

Barbie83

You can use the rollers that comes with the clamps on top of them, its so much easier than using the metal clamps.

Co-signing a thousand times :yep:

I've been roller-setting for years and I have NEVER gotten the hang of metal clips :nono:

I'm sticking with what's easy and what works!!

ceebee3

It's not easy when you first start but once you keep trying it does become second nature.

I actually cried the first time I did it because I couldn't get it right. Now I can get my whole head done in 25-30 minutes.

You really do have to have patience and only try it when you have time. It's something that you just have to keep doing until it clicks for you.

It's one of the best things I've learned to do for my hair and I never knew how to do anything.

Did you check out any youtube tutorials? When I first learned I put my laptop in front of the mirror and watched the vids at the same time. By my third attempt it just clicked for me and I got it from there.

Check out these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0XPTX0AdWw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/LorraineTips#p/u/14/Yfmasn9Is9Y

These were both great and they helped me a lot. Lorraine is a member here.

isawstars

Do you have a trustworthy stylist? When my stylist does my hair I always ask her questions about her technique. I'm always amazed when she rollersets my hair! --because like you, I'm texlaxed and she gets relaxed results. I'm not ready to do it myself but if I was I'd be asking her all sorts of questions. So if you do have a stylist... maybe you could call her and ask for advice. But I think he helps more to actually see it and ask questions. Sometimes my stylist offers to let me TRY the technique on myself, and she tells me what I'm doing wrong/how to do it better.

Good luck!

LatterGlory

Kellum

I'm texlaxed as well I found that pony tail roller set work great for me. You have to get the hair really smooth around the roller in order to get a good set.

danysedai

patience and more patience, the rewards are sooo worthy!!

I've been rollersetting for years and I've perfected my technique by practicing of course. My mother who is very picky and wouldn't let me rollerset her hair when I was in Cuba, (and everybody rollersets back home and mostly airdries) let me rollerset it for her when she was visiting me here a few months ago and she could not believe how good my technique has gotten. Then again, when I rollerset this Saturday I was about to quit because it wasn't working, I tried 3 times and nothing. I put everything down, took a deep breath, re-wet with my spray bottle and started again. perfect!!

Look at youtube videos. Try rollersetting up instead of down, try rollers with clamps instead of magnetic (I use magnetic rollers,but do what works for you), change the hair clips, do what you have to do but practice and it will be much better.

For me, having less products and keeping the hair wet with my spray bottle and using my fine tooth comb works, but again, that is what works for me.

LovelyLionessa

for your length i'd use gray to black rollers, depending on the dryer you have the black rollers would work too and you can add more hair because of the rollers size, rolling up on the sides helps, having the strands held straight but not too taut helps to smooth the roots a little, but you have to remember you are still going to have some waves at the roots because of the clip placement. rolling the hair too tight will result in breakage the hair shrinks when it dries so too tight = breakage.

it takes practice and patience at one point I gave up rollersetting but after my thousandth attempt I got it right.

if the slide in clips are stressing you try roller bobby pins they are the jumbo bobby pins but for rollers the tips are xtra strong and they hold the rollers well.

The bolded is what I use. I use gray rollers around my hairline and black rollers for the rest. I use 2 slide in clips per each roller (except for the ones around the front of my hairline those I only use 1.) It takes me 20-25 minutes to set and I tie up the rollers with a triangular hair net for rollersets to secure it.

When trying to get the technique down, I found it helped to practice on dry hair with large snap on magnetic rollers. Don't give up, practice makes perfect. It's a great style to have in your hair repetoire.

LushLox

I'm one of these annoying people who picked it up very quickly, but then I spent years watching my stylist do it. Even still I spent a long time looking at YouTube videos, reading blogs, different websites, basically any source which would give me credible and valuable tips and advice.

If you're just starting out I wouldn't bother using a setting lotion, as this seems to be where most folks have problems. Setting lotions should only be used where you want the curls to have very longlasting hold, and as a beginner it might be tricky to ascertain how much the lotion should be diluted for effectiveness, therefore it's best to just use a spray water bottle and a dime size amount of leave in initially. Once you've mastered it you can always add products as desired.

I think another issue for folks is the actual technique. Rollersetting is a skill, and (in my opinion) it takes months/years to perfect it, I've still got a lot to learn myself so it's important not to beat yourself up too much about it if you haven't got it right after a few attempts.

Some of the key things for me (and you'll probably have seen these before)

Remove distractions ie, tv, radio. Focus completely on your hair
The hair should be completely detangled. I use my wide tooth comb first then rat tail to smooth out the hair.
Partings are incredibly important, don't attempt to put too much hair on the roller, the hair should lie completely flat on the roller.
I would always recommend that you curl upwards on the sides so that the hair will have a degree of tautness.
You need to ensure the hair is completely dry

The benefits of rollersetting are incredibly rewarding so please keep trying!

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

Thanks for all of the response ladies. My answers to all of your questions are below.

Sorry if you've answered them elsewhere, but I have a few questions:

1. Which way are you rolling? I roll up, so the roller lays flat on the roots.
2. How are you rolling them? (In four sections, mohawk method, no rhyme or reason method?) mohawk. Maybe I need to try four sections.
3. How are you anchoring them? (To each other, or to your head?) to each other and my head
4. Have you tried flexi-rods? no
5. What size rollers are you using now? Gray down the middle and yellow (same size as red) on the sides
Response above in pink.

I didn't think about the bolded. I was expecting the roller to stay just like it is when my finger is still on it. Okay, thanks. And thanks for the tip on the bobby pins.

I tried that last night. The yellows ones that I have come with clips. That was even more frustrating because I couldn't get the clip on, first of all (I store them inside the rollers so they were really tight). And when I did finally, my hair rolled back down because I couldn't get the clip in the right place.

Check out these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0XPTX0AdWw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/LorraineTips#p/u/14/Yfmasn9Is9Y

These were both great and they helped me a lot. Lorraine is a member here.

I had already seen the first video, along with a million others. I hadn't seen Lorraine's though. I don't think. She definitely explained where to put the clip (which helps) and I saw that her hair did move just a little after the placed the clip. Like I said above, I was expecting the roller to stay as tight as it was when I had my fingers on it.

have you tried ponytail rollersetting? I use that when I'm over 8 weeks post.

DISASTER. I can't get the ponytail to stay tight, so I get huge poofy roots with silky, curly ends. Not a good look. :nono: :lol:

Do you have a trustworthy stylist? When my stylist does my hair I always ask her questions about her technique. I'm always amazed when she rollersets my hair! --because like you, I'm texlaxed and she gets relaxed results. I'm not ready to do it myself but if I was I'd be asking her all sorts of questions. So if you do have a stylist... maybe you could call her and ask for advice. But I think he helps more to actually see it and ask questions. Sometimes my stylist offers to let me TRY the technique on myself, and she tells me what I'm doing wrong/how to do it better.

Good luck!

That's a good idea. I don't have a stylist though. I've been at this on my own for 2.5 years now. I have been thinking about going to a beauty school to get a rollerset though. They could definitely tell me some tips I'm sure.

Use the snap on rollers much easier.

First time I tried I took me 5 hours now I can do it in as little as 30 mins even with WL hair.

I'm texlaxed as well and with roller set I don't have to go anywhere direct heat if I don't want to, plus I save tons of $$ because the only time I visit salon is for a relaxer.

Keep trying, and take a look at the links below.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=411636&highlight=

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=411950&highlight=

Girl, it was one of your threads that made me wanna try the clips on my rollers. You ruined my life!!! :lachen:

I'll keep at it. I just bought a pack of 6 green rollers. The two Sally's by my house didn't have the black ones for some reason. I need to try a beauty supply store.

paulina_grop

Curlformers are a good alternative being that they get to the roots really tightly. The rollers with the cap do not get very tight on the roots in my experience.

Carrie A

Use small parts. Vary the roller size. I may use three different sizes. Go with the gray if using metal clip or the purple if using snap on. Now that I'm natural I'm beginning to prefer the clamp on. If you use clips you have to clip both the individual roller and anchor it to adjacent rollers. It just takes practice. I'm still refining my technique now that I'm natural (may have to flat iron the roots) but I've been rollersetting for 20 years. Just keep practicing.

Carrie A

How texlaxed are you? Is the problem that it takes too long for you to roll? What has your finished product looked like in the past.? How puffy were the roots and how long were you able to keep the style? Did you rollerset as a natural?

LushLox

OP is it mainly a straight style that you're looking for? If so being texlaxed there will (probably) always be the issue with texture at the roots. I'm assuming you've tried wrapping your hair either in a scarf or the saran wrap method to flatten the roots?

Have you tried the anchor method to rollerset? This provides natural tautness to ensure the rollers stay in place. There are vids on YouTube.

ETA okay I see you already anchor your rollers.

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

How texlaxed are you? Is the problem that it takes too long for you to roll? What has your finished product looked like in the past.? How puffy were the roots and how long were you able to keep the style? Did you rollerset as a natural?

I was looking at my hair last night as I was rolling and the top 5 inches or so is like 50-60% texlaxed. Compared to the rest of my texlaxed length, my roots look natural. And I'm 2 months post. It takes too long for me to roll because I can't get the roots to lay flat on the roller. In the past, my finished product is big poofy roots with silky curls at the bottom. that's when I actually get all of the rollers in. Each time I tried to wrap it to see if that would help the roots...but :nono:. So, I either pinned it up, or flat ironed. And I tried rollersetting as a natural, but I REALLY couldn't get my hair to lay down on the rollers then.

Last edited: