The biggest hair care secret.....

angelbaby

Is actually one of the simplest things you can do for your hair....CLARIFY IT!!! Finally, I have discovered what has caused my hair to be dry and brittle...product overload. Even though I don't actually use alot of products on my hair, they do build up over time. Even the best shampoos and conditioners cause product overload.

I normally use Elucence products on my hair, but it wasn't having the same effect as when I first started using it. I started using other products that basically made my hair a mess....UNTIL....I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo for a week straight.

I used Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo, Avalon Organics Clarifying Conditioner, and Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner for slip. My hair is once again soft, and I'm not experiencing breakage.

I know that clarifying isn't new to anyone, it's just a matter of how you clarify. I used to think that washing once with a clarifying shampoo would do the trick, now I know better.

I suggest that anyone who has all of a sudden developed dry and brittle hair to try this. It worked wonders for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I will be trying this some time soon! You washed everyday? I can see how that would really get rid of the build up!

I get a shampoo/condition bi-weekly, but my hairdresser uses DE organic cleanse shampoo & then follows w/the moisture retention shampoo...

lala said:
I get a shampoo/condition bi-weekly, but my hairdresser uses DE organic cleanse shampoo & then follows w/the moisture retention shampoo...

I clarify every time I shampoo, which now is about once a week. Then I use a moisturizing shampoo as well, nexxus therappe.

I realized a while back ago that I couldn't expect the wonderful protiens and moisturizers to benefit my hair if there were layers of conditioner (leave in), silicones, oils and gels on my hair. Now I clarify even before a deep conditioning treatment, it's like starting fresh, IMO.:)

i used to clarify quite often (maybe every week or two). i realized that although it was cleansing my hair of the buildup, it was also stripping it of its moisture which left my hair completely unmanageable and ridiculously dry. i'm a 4 a/b so maybe it effects everyone's hair different, but i would go clarifying it more than once a month.

I clarify once a week and love it. I use alot of different products and oil and this really helps.

I am 4a with some 4b mixed in and because of this I try to use gentle clarifying shampoos that don't have ALS/SLS (ex. Kenra Clarifying, Elasta QP Stimulating, etc), this way your hair does not feel stipped.

Thanks for reminding me that it's time to pull out the big clarifying gun. I've been doing rinses w/ various natural stuff (acv, baking soda, etc) and shampooing with my clarifiers, but nothing beats Ion Purifying Treatment.

B/c of the MTG, oils, and cones I use regularly & the occasional co washes, I try to clarify once a week. I haven't had any adverse rxns so far b/c of the moisturizing poos and cons I use right after.

I clarify once a week. I do notice a big difference in the performance of my products after clarifying (they work better).

I just received my Avalon Clarifying Lemon Shampoo and Conditioner today in the mail. I plan to use it next week when I wash my hair. I have never used a clarifying shampoo before so I am anxious to see the results from shampooing with this product.

I use to clarify often because I could feel product build up on my hair but since using aveda, I started in Dec., I have not clarified once, and my hair feels great.

This is just too funny! I searched for the clarifying shampoo thread earlier this morning! It made such a difference in my hair! It's all soft and bouncy again! I guess I''ll see how long it takes for my hair not to act right b4 I decide on a clarifying schedule.

secretdiamond said:
B/c of the MTG, oils, and cones I use regularly & the occasional co washes, I try to clarify once a week. I haven't had any adverse rxns so far b/c of the moisturizing poos and cons I use right after.

Same here. because I use silicone, I have to clarify once a week.

I did not last week and I could tell a difference. My hair was not as bouncy. I think from the silicone build up..

Used a clarifying last night and it all back to normal. :D

I'm glad I saw this thread on Sat. night because my hair was starting to feel heavy/oily (even after washing) and the ends were crunchy (even after nightly application of moisturizer/oil). I washed my hair, did a Aphogee cond. and ACV rinse on Sat. and when I tried to maxiglide it on Sunday morning, I had a terrible time straightening the roots. I had mini-fros at the roots and the mg got stuck several times. Don't know if it was the combo of the Aphogee/ACV rinse but I'll never do both on the same day again.

Anyway, I did a clarifying shampoo yesterday afternoon and my hair is now soft again, not heavy and the roots are more manageable (I'm 6 weeks post relaxer). For some reason, I completely forgot about clarifying although I said I would do one at least every 2 weeks. I'm now going to do one 1x/week.

cheetarah1980 said:
Does anyone add baking soda to the co-wash in order to clarify?

I do - I cowash only, and I mix in a little baking soda to my cowashes about once a month....

I just had to clarify earlier today. My hair just would not behave and I figured it was time. I have been trying co-washes every 3 or 4 days and then the next wash I do a wash-deep condition type thing. I'll probably have to clarify each shampoo wash, at least until this cold NY weather stops making my hair cry for extra moisture.

Thanks for starting this thread. I haven't clarified in who knows how long, I'm about to add some baking soda to my conditioner and do a CW.

Which clarifying products provides a lot of SLIP ?

Everything I use has to have a detangling affect or else, my hair will put down the whip on me :mad: :lol:

thicknlong said:
Which clarifying products provides a lot of SLIP ?

Everything I use has to have a detangling affect or else, my hair will put down the whip on me :mad: :lol:

Try a clarifying conditioner...I use V05 Kiwi Lime and the conditioner works very well.

Back