The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I’ve seen it- cancer patients receiving chemo in the hallways and in exam rooms. Patients being treated in administrative offices. Anything to avoid the hospital going on bypass and being fined daily for not being able to take more patients. It’s a nightmare.

We better pray there is no mass casualty event during this period of time:

We're not out of beds yet, but because of this surge, my hospital is relocating inpatient rehab patients and our peds hospital patients so they can shuffle even more patient to make room for our growing Covid census.

Everything Zen

^^^^ My team may have flown out for an extremely urgent on site monitoring visit for a potential evidence of therapeutic benefit on a pancreatic study in Cali to be turned away bc of COVID surge. The data needs to be validated before it can be published and submitted to the agency and this will delay getting a much needed treatment to this population. The average survival time of this population is only 12 weeks so time is everything. This :censored: affects everyone.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I’ve seen it- cancer patients receiving chemo in the hallways and in exam rooms. Patients being treated in administrative offices. Anything to avoid the hospital going on bypass and being fined daily for not being able to take more patients. It’s a nightmare.

We better pray there is no mass casualty event during this period of time:

For Mt. Sinai to go on bypass in August, it has to be some serious ish. I couldn't even imagine having to deal with COVID and a hot Chicago summer weekend while working there.

Someone needed to go through with a mini bottle of Lysol or Microban to spray right in her filthy mouth.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Ain’t no way she’s living a ‘holistic lifestyle’ if she’s licking all this stuff and just happened to pick the beer section. Not the refrigerated vegan stuff but the beer section. Not that it matters. She ought to be keeping her tongue in her mouth in the first place.
I read this and then read it again in Nene Leakes voice, "not a beer refrigerator. girl put your shoes on" :rofl:

Crackers Phinn

Now that Cyn G. is recreating herself as the bootleg version of 2016 Kendall St. Charles I watch her videos from time to time to giggle. Cyn couldn't give up all the hoteptressy and is on some covid is a hoax, antivax and likely anti-mask but knows Youtube will snatch her videos so she doesn't do talk on it. Well, of course she went on an out of state vacation 2 weeks ago in a pandemic and now can't stop coughing on screen, like to the point she has to go to a dark screen to take coughing breaks in multiple videos. She just keeps saying that her throat doesn't like all the talking she's doing so she's popping throat lozenges during her videos. I feel like I'm watching the tracks right before the wreck happens.

Crackers Phinn

Yet again why the number of times people get vaccinated don't matter when you have to send your kids to their petrie dish of a school where they suck up all the virus through capri sun straws, then bring it back home and breathe it on their entire family who will then take it to work with them. This is how entire offices caught colds every year before we even thought about a pandemic but now the anti maskers can't remember none of that.

G-d I'm glad my step kids are grown and out the house. I stayed catching colds from them all while my immune system was laughing at that prescription grade vitamin D.

Alarming 94K surge in COVID-19 cases among kids; hospitals overwhelmed​

Public health experts and state officials are raising alarms about a surge in COVID hospitalizations among children -- now at their steepest and seeing the most significant increase since the onset of the pandemic.

After declining in the early summer, child COVID-19 cases have steadily increased again in recent weeks -- just as many kids head back to the classroom.

In a newly released weekly report, which compiles state-by-state data on COVID-19 cases among children, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Children's Hospital Association (CHA) found that nearly 94,000 new child COVID-19 cases were reported last week, a continued "substantial" increase.

MORE: COVID-19 live updates: 'This is not your grandfather's COVID,' pediatrician warns

Some of the worst numbers are in Louisiana and Florida but could get worse elsewhere fast as public health officials express concerns with the highly contagious delta variant amid continued vaccine hesitancy.

"This is not your grandfather's COVID," Dr. Mark Kline, the physician in chief of Children's Hospital New Orleans told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday. Louisiana is facing the nation's highest rate of new COVID-19 cases with the Children's Hospital in New Orleans describing what they're seeing as "an epidemic of very young children."
a group of people standing in a room

"We are hospitalizing record numbers of children," Kline continued. "Half of the children in our hospital today are under two years of age. Most of the others are between five and ten years of age -- too young to be vaccinated just yet."

Rest of the story here
Alarming 94K surge in COVID-19 cases among kids; hospitals overwhelmed (msn.com)

Crackers Phinn

Well at least this pastor was trying to get people vaccinated before these people died.
Business Insider

6 members of one Florida church died from COVID-19 in 10 days according to its pastor, who is encouraging people to get vaccinated​

Kelsey Vlamis
Sat, August 7, 2021, 6:34 PM·2 min read

Six members of a Jacksonville, Florida, church died from COVID-19 over ten days, the pastor said.
  • He said the one thing they all had in common was that they were unvaccinated.
  • The church, which held a vaccine event in March, is holding another one in light of their deaths.
  • See more stories on Insider's business page.
A pastor in Jacksonville, Florida, is encouraging his congregants to get vaccinated as a COVID-19 outbreak has ravaged his church.

Six unvaccinated members died from COVID-19 over the course of ten days, Senior Pastor George Davis of Impact Church told local outlet News4Jax.

"In the last 10 days, we have had six members of our church who passed away from COVID. Four of them were under the age of 35. All of them were healthy, and the only thing they had in common was they were not vaccinated," Davis said.
Another 15 to 20 members of the church have been hospitalized with the virus, while others have tested positive but were not hospitalized, including a few vaccinated members.

The church requires congregants to wear masks during the service, according to News4Jax. Davis said they held a vaccination event in March with 800 people getting the shot. After the latest outbreak, the church is holding another vaccine event and urging everyone to get inoculated.

Florida has become the epicenter of the most recent COVID-19 surge in the US. The state has broken its own record for new daily COVID-19 cases three times in the past week, as hospitalizations also rise. Infections in children are also rising in Florida, as well as in Texas, including among kids who are too young to get the vaccine.

About 49% of Florida residents are fully vaccinated, on par with the national rate of 50%, according to the CDC.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican who has resisted mask mandates and other coronavirus restrictions, sparred with the White House this week after President Joe Biden accused him of not doing enough to control the outbreak.
6 members of one Florida church died from COVID-19 in 10 days according to its pastor, who is encouraging people to get vaccinated (yahoo.com)

Crackers Phinn

It's like we're back in March 2020 with this.
We are. Too many people act like the whole last year and a half simply didn't happen.

I know that for the most part the average American doesn't watch any international news unless it's something huge and even then... but I really feel like too few Americans saw what Delta did to India and what happens when hospitals start turning people away. "It could never happen here" is not something anybody who acknowledges the last year and half could let come out of their mouths. None of this is supposed to be happening here, yet here we are.

In adorable news, I was side eyeing the new temp's mask and asked her to do the match test. I handed her the box of matches and her 1990's born self admitted she didn't know how to strike a match and she flinched when I did it. Then she dead :moon: looked at the match and said "omg, it's on fire". I don't think I have stopped laughing yet. :rofl:

Black Ambrosia

Yet again why the number of times people get vaccinated don't matter when you have to send your kids to their petrie dish of a school where they suck up all the virus through capri sun straws, then bring it back home and breathe it on their entire family who will then take it to work with them. This is how entire offices caught colds every year before we even thought about a pandemic but now the anti maskers can't remember none of that.

G-d I'm glad my step kids are grown and out the house. I stayed catching colds from them all while my immune system was laughing at that prescription grade vitamin D.

Alarming 94K surge in COVID-19 cases among kids; hospitals overwhelmed​

Public health experts and state officials are raising alarms about a surge in COVID hospitalizations among children -- now at their steepest and seeing the most significant increase since the onset of the pandemic.

After declining in the early summer, child COVID-19 cases have steadily increased again in recent weeks -- just as many kids head back to the classroom.

In a newly released weekly report, which compiles state-by-state data on COVID-19 cases among children, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Children's Hospital Association (CHA) found that nearly 94,000 new child COVID-19 cases were reported last week, a continued "substantial" increase.

MORE: COVID-19 live updates: 'This is not your grandfather's COVID,' pediatrician warns

Some of the worst numbers are in Louisiana and Florida but could get worse elsewhere fast as public health officials express concerns with the highly contagious delta variant amid continued vaccine hesitancy.

"This is not your grandfather's COVID," Dr. Mark Kline, the physician in chief of Children's Hospital New Orleans told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday. Louisiana is facing the nation's highest rate of new COVID-19 cases with the Children's Hospital in New Orleans describing what they're seeing as "an epidemic of very young children."
a group of people standing in a room

"We are hospitalizing record numbers of children," Kline continued. "Half of the children in our hospital today are under two years of age. Most of the others are between five and ten years of age -- too young to be vaccinated just yet."

Rest of the story here
Alarming 94K surge in COVID-19 cases among kids; hospitals overwhelmed (msn.com)
What confuses me about this is that kids being “safe” from covid was the whole argument for in-person education. Now that it’s obvious that no one is safe, there’s no movement toward virtual learning. I get that didn’t work well but are we just gonna sacrifice the kids that don’t make it? They won’t wear masks so virtual seems to be the only option.

Crackers Phinn

This was on the MSN home page. Anybody else see something wrong with this picture? I read so many accounts of folks swearing they do everything right and wear a mask every time they go out and just can't understand how they ended up testing positive for the airborne virus that leaves particles in the nasal passage. We a year and a half deep in this and your mask game is on rookie.
1628562291930.png

shasha8685

What confuses me about this is that kids being “safe” from covid was the whole argument for in-person education. Now that it’s obvious that no one is safe, there’s no movement toward virtual learning. I get that didn’t work well but are we just gonna sacrifice the kids that don’t make it? They won’t wear masks so virtual seems to be the only option.
I always said that school districts were doing a disservice to students trying to make virtual learning exactly like face to face learning. With things going the way that they are, school districts really need to revamp what virtual learning is.

Crackers Phinn

From what I can see the current planneration strategyration in the schoolerie seems to be
1628563443283.png

awhyley

We are. Too many people act like the whole last year and a half simply didn't happen.

In adorable news, I was side eyeing the new temp's mask and asked her to do the match test. I handed her the box of matches and her 1990's born self admitted she didn't know how to strike a match and she flinched when I did it. Then she dead :moon: looked at the match and said "omg, it's on fire". I don't think I have stopped laughing yet. :rofl:

It's like, "where are these children from?" Why is she doing a match test?

:look:

I understand potentially increasing health costs, but this is getting out of hand. It just seems like an attack now.

winterinatl

All natural!
From what I can see the current planneration strategyration in the schoolerie seems to be
View attachment 474749
Honestly, up till recently it’s been F those teachers Get Back to Work. So now admin are preparing to open back up in Fall. We also have a virtual academy for any family who wants to remain online. That way we don’t lose the enrollment funding for the district.
A benefit of returning to school after Labor Day means we get to see what’s happening in the East Coast and the South FIRST before WA makes the same mistakes. I hate that black folk stay being the guinea pigs in all this!!

Crackers Phinn

It's like, "where are these children from?" Why is she doing a match test?

I understand potentially increasing health costs, but this is getting out of hand. It just seems like an attack now.
Her mask looked to me to be made out of the same material as a snuggie so I wanted to make sure it offered me some protection from her. Turns out even though it was one layer she couldn't blow out the match even close up through it . So mission accomplished, I'm one degree safer in the day.

Crackers Phinn

Honestly, up till recently it’s been F those teachers Get Back to Work. So now admin are preparing to open back up in Fall. We also have a virtual academy for any family who wants to remain online. That way we don’t lose the enrollment funding for the district.
A benefit of returning to school after Labor Day means we get to see what’s happening in the East Coast and the South FIRST before WA makes the same mistakes. I hate that black folk stay being the guinea pigs in all this!!
Oh it's a given that neither parents nor the local governments cared if the underaged plague carriers got teachers sick as long as they got their public babysitting service back. Like everything else revealed in the pandemic, the short sightedness of what happens if all the teachers get sick or quit shows how remedial critical thinking skills are en mass but I digress. I'm so sorry ya'll and nurses are always on the front lines of the b.s.

dancinstallion

Florida's Governor Says School Leaders' Salary May Be Withheld If They Require Masks​

As the majority of Florida's K-12 schools prepare to reopen campuses at full capacity this week — many of them on Tuesday — Gov. Ron DeSantis announced that the state Board of Education could withhold pay from school leaders who implement mask mandates for students.

Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho responded to DeSantis' threat on Monday afternoon. He said the fourth-largest school district in the nation has established a plan made in consultation with health experts.

"At no point shall I allow my decision to be influenced by a threat to my paycheck; a small price to pay considering the gravity of this issue and the potential impact to the health and well-being of our students and dedicated employees," Carvalho said.

He added: "I want to thank the governor for recognizing that our students should not be penalized.

Crackers Phinn

Florida's Governor Says School Leaders' Salary May Be Withheld If They Require Masks​

As the majority of Florida's K-12 schools prepare to reopen campuses at full capacity this week — many of them on Tuesday — Gov. Ron DeSantis announced that the state Board of Education could withhold pay from school leaders who implement mask mandates for students.

Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho responded to DeSantis' threat on Monday afternoon. He said the fourth-largest school district in the nation has established a plan made in consultation with health experts.

"At no point shall I allow my decision to be influenced by a threat to my paycheck; a small price to pay considering the gravity of this issue and the potential impact to the health and well-being of our students and dedicated employees," Carvalho said.

He added: "I want to thank the governor for recognizing that our students should not be penalized.
The average employee doesn't know or care how much of their healthcare costs are being subsidized by their employer. A payroll deduction for unvaccinated employees only to offset the employer portion of healthcare expenses is based in science and economics (mainly economics tho :look:). Withholding peoples paycheck for protecting themselves is pettiness for the sake of being petty.

naturalgyrl5199

I know that for the most part the average American doesn't watch any international news unless it's something huge and even then... but I really feel like too few Americans saw what Delta did to India and what happens when hospitals start turning people away. "It could never happen here" is not something anybody who acknowledges the last year and half could let come out of their mouths. None of this is supposed to be happening here, yet here we are.

I was watching the movie Stigmata on Sunday afternoon and my 3 YO was like--what's that ringing? I showed her the phone (an old rotary) and she was mystified.

ETA: She HAS seen me light matches. I burn candles a lot....