The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

naturalgyrl5199

At this rate, ain't go be nobody left in Florida to float away on it.

I bet the majority of them new Florida covid cases ain't vaccinated.
Yes. We are reporting 9 of 10 in FL. To be accurate its over 90% unvaccinated. And college kids have yet to return. I live in a city with 2 MAJOR colleges and 1 large community college and 1 smaller college and a very busy Vocational School.

shasha8685

They gonna be the next to f%$^ around and find out :nono:

One of my cousins lives in Birmingham and she's actually getting married next weekend. I declined and sent over a wedding gift because I had no idea what these covid rates would be looking like in mid-August.

But then again I would have been traveling from FL :lol: and we're pretty much 'worse' right now but still...
I currently live in Alabama and it is insane. I feel like I have to step out of the house with a hazmat suit on because few people are vaccinated and they are walking around here like everything is normal. I swear I don't get it.

naturalgyrl5199

We took the oldest to her "drop in" orientation yesterday. She attends a very diverse school, and its one of the most requested and favorites in town. I was heartened that everyone walking around save maybe 2 families: one big one with lots of small kids and one dad and daughter were wearing masks--even though right now its masks "strongly recommended." It lets you know where parents stand.

The minute I walked in It took everything in me not to shout out in thanksgiving like I was in church ya'll.
Teacher is a sister. Bout the same age as DH and I. 16 years experience. 5 years at the school. She shared (when we were alone) she was pro-mask.

She says that she was one of the teachers teaching in-person last year when masks WERE mandatory in schools. She said about 95% of the kids did VERY WELL keeping the masks on, and that though they were optional, she would work with the kids to encourage those wearing masks to keep them on. She says other than the same few kids, the others did extremely well. We all hit it off very well. I was encouraged to know that she wouldn't be flippant about it. Its clear she loves teaching and she told me she loved that school. Several families of different ethnic backgrounds dropped in to say hi and they missed her. So she is well liked. Checked off many boxes and relieved a little worry for me. She has a class wish list and a short supply list so I will make sure I set her up with a gift bag FULL of goodies.

sunshinebeautiful

I currently live in Alabama and it is insane. I feel like I have to step out of the house with a hazmat suit on because few people are vaccinated and they are walking around here like everything is normal. I swear I don't get it.

I feel you. They like that here in North Florida too.

I ducked off in Walmart the other day and was highly disturbed. I even saw a heavily pregnant woman in the store unmasked. :nono: When I was ringing out my handful of things at the register, the lady at the register behind me - Black woman with 3 kids, ALL of them unmasked - starting coughing and I swiped my card so fast to get out of there.

I even saw a couple of first responders in uniform inside unmasked. It's like living in an alternate reality.

Leeda.the.Paladin

They are going to war around here about masks in schools. This has got to be some of the craziest mess I’ve ever seen.

BTW, I was talking to a friend of mine who works with the pediatric population. She said that obese pediatric patients have increased risks of developing more serious effects of COVID, just as adults do. However, she said that the lockdowns have increased rates of childhood obesity, especially with black kids.

It’s just sad.

———

On another note, just got word that the older nurse who trained me years ago has her husband in the ICU with COVID. We’ve become friends over the years. She called me today and she said she’s so afraid of losing him. I didn’t delve into how bad off he was but I know that’s he is pretty overweight with heart disease :nono:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Didn't quite work out how he thought. Oh well.

yamilee21

… I bet the majority of them new Florida covid cases ain't vaccinated.
My niece is fully vaccinated, mostly only goes to work, the gym and the grocery store while still wearing a mask… and she was among the new Florida cases this week. The whole darn state is a cesspool of Covid contamination… no escaping it anywhere. She had 8 out of 11 of the main symptoms listed on the CDC website. Luckily she’s starting to feel better now.

Everything Zen

I can't imagine going to the hospital and they tell me there's no beds. I'd be dumbfounded.
I’ve seen it- cancer patients receiving chemo in the hallways and in exam rooms. Patients being treated in administrative offices. Anything to avoid the hospital going on bypass and being fined daily for not being able to take more patients. It’s a nightmare.

We better pray there is no mass casualty event during this period of time:

Last edited:

Everything Zen

They gonna be the next to f%$^ around and find out :nono:

One of my cousins lives in Birmingham and she's actually getting married next weekend. I declined and sent over a wedding gift because I had no idea what these covid rates would be looking like in mid-August.

But then again I would have been traveling from FL :lol: and we're pretty much 'worse' right now but still...
AGAIN I really just want to cut my little cousin a big check and not go to his wedding in October :nono:

awhyley

Yes. We are reporting 9 of 10 in FL. To be accurate its over 90% unvaccinated. And college kids have yet to return. I live in a city with 2 MAJOR colleges and 1 large community college and 1 smaller college and a very busy Vocational School.

This right here is my fear. My little cousin is headed to FL for her freshman year and recently had a discussion with her new roommates. Apparently, none of them have had the vaccine as yet, and it seems that they don't intend on taking it. I'm worried for her in that environment seeing that they're in such close quarters.

Everything Zen

This right here is my fear. My little cousin is headed to FL for her freshman year and recently had a discussion with her new roommates. Apparently, none of them have had the vaccine as yet, and it seems that they don't intend on taking it. I'm worried for her in that environment seeing that they're in such close quarters.
Yeah that’s a hot mess. I wonder how the schools are going to handle that. Can she request new vaccinated roomies bc that would be a hard no for me. SMH

Crackers Phinn

It doesn’t matter if people get 50 vaccinations if they are in close contact with a carrier of an airborne virus.

It seems like there is some strange belief that the vaccine provides a force field outside the body that prevents people from breathing in the virus and I wish these stories weren’t reported like that’s what vaccine does.

BrownBetty

It doesn’t matter if people get 50 vaccinations if they are in close contact with a carrier of an airborne virus.

It seems like there is some strange belief that the vaccine provides a force field outside the body that prevents people from breathing in the virus and I wish these stories weren’t reported like that’s what vaccine does.
and we know there is at least a 5% expected break through rate. The nonvaccinated folks love to site stories like this as if it is a failure of the vaccine. smh

I'm tired.

Crackers Phinn

:handslap:

'Germs fortify your immune system': Antivaxxer mom who claims autism is curable horrifies social media by filming herself LICKING supermarket fridge door handle after playing down dangers of COVID​

• Jodie Meschuk has gone viral after she filmed herself licking items at a supermarket in an effort to prove that COVID-19 'isn't a big deal'
  • She licked several items in the grocery store including her shopping cart, produce bags and the door handle of a beer fridge
  • Meschuk told her more than 17,000 Instagram followers: 'Germs fortify your immune system.' The post has since disappeared
  • She also claims that she has a cure for autism
Jodie Meschuk has gone viral after she filmed herself licking items at a supermarket in an effort to prove that COVID-19 'isn't a big deal''isn't a big deal'
She told her followers to 'be free,' likely suggesting that coronavirus mandates restrict freedoms and to have 'love over fear, not law''be free,' likely suggesting that coronavirus mandates restrict freedoms and to have 'love over fear, not law'
Meschuk was filmed licking several items in the grocery store including her shopping cart, produce bags and the door handle of a beer fridge

Jodie Meschuk has gone viral after she filmed herself licking items at a supermarket in an effort to prove that COVID-19 'isn't a big deal'

A self-proclaimed antivaxxer has gone viral after she filmed herself licking items at a supermarket in an effort to prove that COVID-19 'isn't a big deal'.

Jodie Meschuk, who claims she cured autism, posted a since-deleted video to Instagram where she attempted to educate her followers about the spread of disease.

Meschuk was filmed licking several items in the grocery store including her shopping cart, produce bags and the door handle of a beer fridge.

'Germs fortify your immune system. Exposure to germs builds defenses against asthma and allergies. Microbes help digestion,' Meschuk captioned the footage.

She also told her followers to 'be free,' likely suggesting that coronavirus mandates restrict freedoms and to have 'love over fear, not law'.
Meschuk is believed to live in Colorado, although it is unclear where clip was filmed.

The licking video has been removed from Meschuk's Instagram page. It is unclear if she took it down, or if Instagram removed the video themselves. DailyMail.com reached out to her for comment.

Meschuk was filmed licking several items in the grocery store including her shopping cart, produce bags and the door handle of a beer fridge. She told her followers to 'be free,' likely suggesting that coronavirus mandates restrict freedoms and to have 'love over fear, not law'

According to her social media accounts, Meschuk lives a 'holistic lifestyle' and provides information about quantum medicine to her more than 17,000 followers.

Her posts address hot-button issues such as the coronavirus, vaccines, racism in America and religion.

She also wrote a book titled Autism Reimagined where she allegedly explains how to 'reverse the diagnosis'.

Meschuk is not the first person to make headlines for licking items in a grocery store.

According to her social media accounts, Meschuk lives a 'holistic lifestyle' and provides information about quantum medicine to her more than 17,000 followers. Her posts address hot-button issues such as the coronavirus, vaccines, racism in America and religion

There were several licking instances in 2020 at the height of the first wave of COVID:
The first licking incident to go viral occurred in 2019, pre-virus, when a Texas woman was filmed licking a tub of Blue Bell ice cream in a local Walmart and placing it back on the shelf.

The wild act inspired a challenge where teens dash into stores and run their tongues on cartons of ice cream.

oneastrocurlie

More of this please. All hospitals, all counties, all states.

Ohio just released their breakthrough stats they've been collecting since January.

Spoiler alert: more unvaccinated are hospitalized and dying vs those vaccinated.