The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

sunshinebeautiful

So I found out today that the coworker who was out - his wife tested positive for covid. Luckily, they were both vaccinated. He says she has symptoms that are like a "bad cold." He tested negative, which is a relief. They have children, the youngest of which is too young to get vaccinated, so I suspect they'll be quarantining at home for awhile.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
I can't imagine going to the hospital and they tell me there's no beds. I'd be dumbfounded.
Terrifying. So a disease like a heart attack or stroke that when treated quickly, it has great survival rates. But with no beds and no place to put said heart attack or stroke patient will delay care and looking for a hospital to transfer the patient will make the odds worse. Leading to worsening outcomes and possibly death.

This is not the time to have any illness. :nono:

Is Mars or the moon accepting expats? I don't like it here.

awhyley

My job is testing vaccinated folks weekly and non vaccinated 2x/week. Everyone has to be masked regardless of status. We are going back in the office soon. I'm sure it will be awful.

You guys are shoving the q-tip up the nose twice a week? (non vax) Dang. Nah, incentive to be vaccinated, that's all.

naturalgyrl5199

I can't imagine going to the hospital and they tell me there's no beds. I'd be dumbfounded.
This is one reason I can't live in too rural an area. In rural areas of the Midwest, the doctors are sending critical patients to a whole different state. Pretty sure thats going on here in FL's capital and we are not rural. Just surrounded by it. For example our hospital receives patients from Valdosta or Albany, Georgia, and for us, if we get overflow, we send them to Jacksonville or Gainesville (University of Florida Med School). I will call my contact (RN, critical care) at the major hospital here and see what's going on.

naturalgyrl5199

Irony is--voting for tRU.mp, and being a die hard about it cause ya r@dn@ck hubby told you too (even though you're a POC)...then sitting in my office crying cause you have to use the little leave you have left bc you had to quarantine while you waited on your PCR to come back---cause the grandson you had to pick up was exposed to COVID in school, and ya daughter in law tested positive but refused to test your grandson.

Now you mad cause I been sending emails to ya'll since November when the previous administration said they were going to end the Federal leave time 12/31/20--that you could use to quarantine or recover from COVID. Now you sitting up here with the po-mouth and with tears cause we agree its dirty what they did, but then you adamantly voted for those guys. And you claim you didn't know about the emails I sent. But when the black woman and very young widow and mother of 4 who sits behind you was out for over a month quarantining for her own exposed child--and then later because of her own COVID sickness...where was your concern for her? Then HR told her to get in line cause they told her hundreds of our employees are mad. BUT--most of them are maskless, callous tr.um.p supporters whining about it.

Jmartjrmd

Even though I'm not at the bedside right now I keep in touch with my colleagues. Covid has been hitting pregnant women hard and there has been a surge in premature births.
In our state we just lost a mom to covid. Her baby was 30 weeks and they were able to save the baby.
There is another lady whose baby was term and doing fine but now she ( the mom,) is on ECMO.
And my friend in Miami just got a preemie 26 weeker in her unit but mom died.
So far the babies aren't getting sick but that doesn't mean they can't. My son had covid and it was the most devastating thing I've watched a baby go through.
Please be careful if you're expecting. It's really sad how these women are dying and the poor babies will never know mama.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Even though I'm not at the bedside right now I keep in touch with my colleagues. Covid has been hitting pregnant women hard and there has been a surge in premature births.
In our state we just lost a mom to covid. Her baby was 30 weeks and they were able to save the baby.
There is another lady whose baby was term and doing fine but now she ( the mom,) is on ECMO.
So far the babies aren't getting sick but that doesn't mean they can't. My son had covid and it was the most devastating thing I've watched a baby go through.
Please be careful if you're expecting. It's really sad how these women are dying and the poor babies will never know mama.
This is the worst time in the last hundred years to get pregnant. I don't understand why anybody with access to birth control/not under duress would risk it. That said, when the world gets back to normal I think the domestic violence/sexual assault data during the pandemic will be truly shocking.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Irony is--voting for tRU.mp, and being a die hard about it cause ya r@dn@ck hubby told you too (even though you're a POC)...then sitting in my office crying cause you have to use the little leave you have left bc you had to quarantine while you waited on your PCR to come back---cause the grandson you had to pick up was exposed to COVID in school, and ya daughter in law tested positive but refused to test your grandson.

Now you mad cause I been sending emails to ya'll since November when the previous administration said they were going to end the Federal leave time 12/31/20--that you could use to quarantine or recover from COVID. Now you sitting up here with the po-mouth and with tears cause we agree its dirty what they did, but then you adamantly voted for those guys. And you claim you didn't know about the emails I sent. But when the black woman and very young widow and mother of 4 who sits behind you was out for over a month quarantining for her own exposed child--and then later because of her own COVID sickness...where was your concern for her? Then HR told her to get in line cause they told her hundreds of our employees are mad. BUT--most of them are maskless, callous tr.um.p supporters whining about it.
Hispanic?

sunshinebeautiful

They gonna be the next to f%$^ around and find out :nono:

One of my cousins lives in Birmingham and she's actually getting married next weekend. I declined and sent over a wedding gift because I had no idea what these covid rates would be looking like in mid-August.

But then again I would have been traveling from FL :lol: and we're pretty much 'worse' right now but still...

naturalgyrl5199

With all that I've been sharing....I purposefully held back the news I got about the 11 month old and the 9 month old that passed away that I'm aware of. The 9-month old passed the day before yesterday. My uncle had been begging the dad to get vaccinated. I haven't seen an uptick in premature births yet...but I probably am not hearing about it because the moms are likely not d/c if they have been sick. Time will tell.